R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 15 Things To Think About In The Studio  (Read 8136 times)

George_

Re: 15 Things To Think About In The Studio
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2006, 02:50:57 AM »

but when you leave the 08/15 radiomusic, new horizons will appear;) you will do your ears a favour listening to underproduced music.. you feel even better if you use this music as reference;)

now too much offtopic..

"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

Tidewater

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2006, 10:15:15 AM »

What I meant to say with the lists above, was.. the first list have all these different songs, with pretty different sounds, all very disinctive. Not always 'the best sounds', but the only sounds that would work? Sounds like the songs wrote themselves, and the sounds made themselves.

The second list, less so. It was a cruel thing to say, but I always thought SRV would have sounded better kind of plain.. heh

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

wwittman

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2006, 06:13:43 PM »

we have two sayings we put up.

Dare To Suck.

and

Subtlety is Bullshit.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Tidewater

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2006, 09:07:45 PM »

That rocks.

M

Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

trebor_zaid

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 07:59:59 PM »

Incredible thread. Question though, allot of your more successful rock bands got to great stardom by "breaking the mold" persay and NOT thinking about whether or not the song would be on the radio. Every music oriented documovie I see about this artist or that band has the industry looking for "uniqueness" in the artist. Something different!! And usually that comes from the different approach that act might have to songwriting.

Now, how much of an influence does a producer have on material brought into the studio from one of these "unique" acts. Like how much of the original material an act brings in sounds the same "musically" on the way out to the distribution warehouse and eventually, your cd player or radio station. Or illegal download website  Rolling Eyes

How much influence would a Meester Gerst have on an act's music to make it a hit?

I said that already didn't I?............yes,....yes I believe I did.....

danickstr

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2006, 03:01:03 PM »

i am glad to see someone acknowledge the need for an attempt to make a "hit" song with "hooks".  People, this is what makes making music fun...to go for this little challenge.  its easy to make "art" music.  and it usually sucks.  make a hit and you get an audience.  get an audience and make all the shitty art music you want for the rest of your artsy life and have more people listen to it than without.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

George_

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2006, 02:43:50 PM »

Quote:

get an audience and make all the shitty art music you want for the rest of your artsy life and have more people listen to it than without.

hm, so should I enter this damned Hip Hop and Pop biz and produce the yoyo gangstazzz then go back and record the next darkthrone-album?

hm.. good idea..  Twisted Evil
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

maxim

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2006, 09:48:18 PM »

leave safety at the door

if it's safe, it's been done before

i agree with miles, srv did better with covers

where would you put jimi on that list?

John Ivan

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2006, 12:22:53 AM »

danickstr wrote on Sat, 06 May 2006 14:01

i am glad to see someone acknowledge the need for an attempt to make a "hit" song with "hooks".  People, this is what makes making music fun...to go for this little challenge.  its easy to make "art" music.  and it usually sucks.  make a hit and you get an audience.  get an audience and make all the shitty art music you want for the rest of your artsy life and have more people listen to it than without.

You said "It's easy to make Art Music"

Cool. It's easy!!
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

maxim

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2006, 01:58:03 AM »

yay!

Fibes

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2006, 10:45:10 AM »

Trying to "make a hit" is just as bad as "trying to be unique" IMO. Whenever one "tries" to do something it isn't coming from the place that leaves a lasting impression on people, that place is a multi-chambered place that includes the heart and the soul. Otherwise it's marketing.

If a song is written from that place it will touch people and with proper placement will become a timeless hit. If it is written to be a hit it may climb the charts, top them and drop into the cut out bin after 15 minutes.

The real thing.

Real.

Real real real real.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Tim Halligan

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2006, 12:00:09 PM »

Fibes wrote on Mon, 08 May 2006 22:45

Trying to "make a hit" is just as bad as "trying to be unique" IMO. Whenever one "tries" to do something it isn't coming from the place that leaves a lasting impression on people, that place is a multi-chambered place that includes the heart and the soul.

Fibes IS Yoda.

Do or do not: there is no try.   Very Happy

I've always taken the view that music is about the "Head, Heart, and Feet". If I can write something that appeals to those three things in other people, I consider it a success. It might never be a "hit", but that's not how I judge success...

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 16 queries.