R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I trade two mic's  (Read 3761 times)

2db

Should I trade two mic's
« on: April 24, 2006, 09:26:17 AM »

http://www.innertubeaudio.com/as_dual.html

The Atomic Squeeze Box Dual is a dual channel , or stereo version of the original Atomic Squeeze Box.

I was offered a new ASB in exchange for a C12VR and a The Tube Mic, both in very good working order.

I don't know enough about the ASB to determine fair trade.

If I start to master would this unit be used in that context? I record jazz musicians and don't use the mic's as much anymore so they sit.

Any advise. I read Albinis article and know he thinks highly of the unit or I would not be entertaining thoughts of this trade.

Thanks for your thoughts and advise,

-jim

John Ivan

Re: Should I trade two mic's
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 10:17:45 AM »

I personally would not make this trade. I have not heard this Compressor but, For Me personally, there is not a circumstance where loosing two good or perhaps great sounding mics is worth a stereo compressor,no matter what it sounds like.

So, it depends. Mics mean way more to me than compression. How many mics do you have? Do you need this compressor? Does the Secret gain reduction device do something that no other comp can do? I know the guy in mix says it does but, that never means anything.

So, think hard about giving up mics.

Just my 2 cents...

JI..............................................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Ronny

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 12:11:26 PM »

I agree with John about keeping the mics and the spec's on the ASB do not look that good to me. -85dB below threshold noise floor and only .1% THD, not great specs, IMHO.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

electrical

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 12:56:13 PM »

Managing the resources of a studio requires making decisions like this all the time, and you have to find a way to make the decisions more transparent to yourself. Thinking of them in two parts helps: 1) What is the equivalent money value of the gear, and 2) Which pieces am I going to use most in my work?

I used to own an akg "the tube" mic. It was a nasty-sounding piece of shit. I was thrilled to get $1000 in trade for it a few years ago, having not used it on a session in half-a-decade. The AKG C12VR, despite hype to the contrary, was essentially the same mic with a different (still not great) capsule. I have used them and been unimpressed since. If I had bought one for $5000 or whatever they were going for when they were released, I would have felt robbed.

The ASB is expensive, sure, but I don't know of another compressor on earth that can do exactly what it does best, which is truly inoffensive vocal compression.

The secondhand market on those two mics has spoken, and together they're worth just over three grand, maybe a little more if you find a sucker. You are essentially being offered an ASB for three grand, and that's a fair price.

Since the swap is a fair one in terms of monetary value, you need to decide which you would use more, the compressor or the two mics, and let that be the decider. If you have a piece of equipment you do not use in your studio, it may as well be a brick. If someone said you could trade a brick for $3000, you'd probably do it. Keep and acquire the things you'll use, shift the things you won't.
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

Rick Sutton

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 12:14:52 AM »

If you are being offered a DUAL squeezebox for those two mics.......do it as fast as you can. Those mics are essentially useless and the dual squeezebox is truly a top line piece of gear.

beckertronix

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 02:18:54 AM »

Steve, putting his money (or brick) where his mouth is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carpeted-Brick-sim-Drums-Studio-ssl-mic- stand-cable_W0QQitemZ7408503319QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZW DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, go for the trade, the Squeezebox is that good.

-tim

Buzz

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 04:15:52 PM »

LMFAO The " BRICK" it's a compressor right ????

LAter
Buzz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 20 queries.