R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording samples of Peluso CEMC6 matched pair (Omni caps)  (Read 3780 times)

sunflute

Hello Everyone,

Here are some samples of the Peluso CEMC6's. These samples are from a live recital I did May 18th in Manhattan, the piece is the Flute Sonata by the french composer Francis Poulenc. This recital was done in the basement of the Marble Collegiate church in Manhattan, so the acoustics are not great, nevertheless I think this give you an idea of the sound of the Pelusos. The pianist was Deborah Jamini, who teaches at Mannes College of Music.

The rig I used is a portable rig I use for live recording, so the preamps are not great, but decent.

So the setup is as follows:
Peluso matched pair (Omni caps) > Roland MMP2 > M-Audio CO2 digital converter > Creative Jukebox 3 (using Optical in). This was recorded at 44/24.

The microphones were setup in an XY setup about 8 feet from the ground and about 3 feet from where we were performing, pointing downward a bit in between the piano and the flute. (The flute was to the left of the piano)

The only processing I did, was to use Waves' X-noise plug-in to get rid of some hum and Waves' L3 Ultramaximizer to bring the levels up. Conversion to MP3 was done using Samplitude 8 at 192 Kbits.

FILES:
1st Movement:
http://www.sunflute.com/pages/sounds/Recital%20May%2018/Poul enc%20May%2018.mp3

2nd Movement:
http://www.sunflute.com/pages/sounds/Recital%20May%2018/Poul enc%202%20May%2018.mp3

3rd Movement:
http://www.sunflute.com/pages/sounds/Recital%20May%2018/Poul enc%203%20May%2018.mp3

Any questions or comments are welcome and I can be reached at sunflute at yahoo dot com. my website is www.sunflute.com

Thank you for listening,
Peace
Marco Granados

sunflute

Re: Correction - Re-upload
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 03:44:48 PM »

CORRECTION!

I am re-uploading the files again WITHOUT the application of the noise reduction plugin as I think it changed the quality of the sound.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience

Peace
Marco

Gunnar Hellquist

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 02:22:06 PM »

Marco,
     great playing on the flute. Lovely sound in general, I especially like the low register. Warm and round and still pregnant. Liked the interpretation as well, but that is a pure personal opinion.

But the recording is not quite up to it if you ask me. The flute sounds a bit too close miced to my ears, a bit too much breathing and key clicks. (Of course this is a matter of taste, this might be what you are after). The piano sounds like it an upright piano and you are micing it from the back of the sound board. The room does not help up very much either I believe.

This is in my short experience the ups and downs with omnis. I have been doing recording a few years only with very mixed results. When right the omnis gives me that warm round sound. And a great feeling of "beeing there". When wrong they tend to exaggerate the boxiness of the room and every other artifact. So I guess you have a good set of omnis.

Gunnar
Gunnar Hellquist
unafiliated

sunflute

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 04:56:40 PM »

Thank you for your comments Gunnar

I had certain limitations when placing the mics because the audience was really close to us and we couldn't realistically place the stand in the audience without risking them knocking it down. The piano was a small grand piano but not of very good quality. Also, we were recording in the basement of the church next to the kitchen, so again, the room sound wasn't great and there was hum coming from the kitchen. All in all, I think the mics did a good job considering the situation wasn't optimal. The only reason I posted this recording is because many people have been wondering about the sound of the Pelusos and I thought of putting this as a first impression. As soon as I have a chance to record in a better space, with my Millennia Media preamp, I will do so and I am sure it will be better.

Thanks for listening.

Peace
Marco

Flauto

Re: Recording samples of Peluso CEMC6 matched pair (Omni caps)
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 10:17:59 PM »

Dear Mr. Granados,
The Poulenc sonata sounds wonderful! I'm currently learning this piece, and I love it! Your recording had help me alot, Thank you.

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 01:51:52 AM »

Well I like it.  Nice playing.

The mic capsules seem to sound quite smooth and nice.  I think the weak part must be the room, as you say.

Looking forward to some posts done with the Millenia in a better room.

Regards.

Tidewater

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 11:17:32 AM »

Marco,

Very nice playing! It sounds as if you recorded in the basement of a church, next to a kitchen. Seems to work just fine!

I think I might like the mics.

Good choice on not using the noise reducing stuff.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

Ralf Kleemann

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 01:28:56 PM »

Very nice recording. There is absolutely no need to apply noise reduction (which would pro'ly take away something of the flute's air).
I love the slightly detuned piano, makes it all sound very cosy, "tr
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.