R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: a pointless thread about subjective experiences  (Read 13328 times)

Fenris Wulf

a pointless thread about subjective experiences
« on: April 22, 2006, 07:36:28 AM »

In case you were wondering, you sanctimonious twit, I still refuse to have anything to do with "hip-hop."
RESIST THE CYBERNETIC OVERLORDS
KDVS Studio A

wwittman

Re: "I know R. Kelley ..."
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 01:08:01 PM »

see?
he DID.

and you didn't trust him! Shame.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Daniel Farris

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 11:27:34 PM »

Fenris Wulf. wrote on Sat, 22 April 2006 12:36

As a result of this and other experiences I instituted a policy of "no hip-hop or R&B."

You can't come up with a better yardstick for measuring scumbags?

How about a sign that says, "No Black People"

Great story though. I had a similar experience a few years back, but I still work with black people when they call.

DF

Fenris Wulf

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 04:10:16 AM »

x
KDVS Studio A

Samc

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 05:42:02 AM »

Fenris Wulf. wrote on Sun, 30 April 2006 09:10

Hip-hop is more trouble than it's worth, because of the large number of "artists" who behave like criminals. The "thug" culture is so pervasive in hip-hop (and in R&B as well) that I want nothing to do with it.

Anyone who can play an actual instrument is welcome.

Wow, you really said a lot here Fenris.  

Can we infer from your "obviously" in-dept, scientific study of all the people involved in these two genres, that if we got rid of them we would get rid of, or at least significantly reduce crime, and bad music at the same time?  

Sam Clayton

Daniel Farris

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 09:25:21 AM »

Fenris Wulf. wrote on Sun, 30 April 2006 09:10

Hip-hop is more trouble than it's worth,

Well, I've never worked on much (if any) R&B, but my business is about 70% rock and about 30% rap, and I couldn't disagree more.

Lately, I've had a big surge in business from rap and hip hop artists, so my last two weeks' work have been pretty much entirely rap. The one thing that stood out to me as a prominent difference between my rap clients and my rock clients is this: They don't argue as much. They're respectful of one another (and me) in a way that my rock clientele is not.

I have found that rappers, when treated with respect (both for them as valuable clients and their music as a valid art), are far easier to deal with than rock bands... and far less trouble.

I don't listen to hip hop or rap, but I'll gladly work on it. And if I MUST work on a kind of music I don't personally enjoy, I'd rather the clients be more like my rap clients than my rock clients.

Quote:

because of the large number of "artists" who behave like criminals. The "thug" culture is so pervasive in hip-hop (and in R&B as well) that I want nothing to do with it.

Well, it's good to know there's no stereotyping going on here.

Quote:

Anyone who can play an actual instrument is welcome.

That's all well and good, except:

1.) You know as well as I do that 90% of rappers are black, and probably somewhere between %70 and %80 of black artists either do hip hop, rap, or R&B. I would never accuse anyone I didn't know of being a racist. That said, the policy itself *appears* racist to me... and I'm sure it does to others as well, given that most of the clients you turn away, based on that policy, are necessarily black.

What do your other black clients (the ones who don't do rap and R&B) think of that policy?

2.) Who are you to decide that an MPC4000 isn't an "actual" instrument? Or that Bobbly Brown, or R Kelley, or Mariah Carey isn't playing an "actual" instrument when they sing? Or that rapping isn't a form of singing?

3.) Is this policy legal?

http://tinyurl.com/ochnu

I'm sorry. I'm not really looking for a fight here, but I just had to ask about such a broad sweeping policy. Having lived my whole life in Bombingham, Alabamistan, where I see lots of subtle things like this, it just has a weird odor to it to me.

If you were a restaurant, I doubt your policy would be very popular (or as easy to hide).

DF

smorgdonkey

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 12:29:58 PM »

I agree with the no hip-hop thing...the 'rap/hip-hop culture' promotes violence and promotes devaluing the image of women in my opinion. The more someone is shot whether he survives or not is directly proportional to his popularity.
The entire genre will have to vacate the following topics before I'll ever be able to give it any credibility:
-I've got money
-I've got hos ( or b*tches, or whatever other negative term )
-I'm the best ( on the mic, with the ladies, etc.)
I don't think it's racist. The girl from the Black Eyed Peas is white and I think her lyrics and schtick are one of the worst ever.

By the way, I'm slighly 'peach' coloured.  

electrical

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 02:11:59 PM »

To defensively (generally) exclude hip hop sessions from your studio is ridiculous and smacks of racism. To specifically exclude people you've had trouble with or whose means you cannot verify is simply common sense.

Certain studios attract a hip hop clientele, and certain studios don't. If you get no joy from these sessions, it's probably because they're not your core clientele, and if you remain busy anyway, it won't be an issue.
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

wowats

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 02:15:28 PM »

what about positive hip hop

what about public enemy?

chill out

Werewolf10

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 08:04:55 PM »

I think some of these guys have "commercial" hip-hopp mixed up with "real" hip-hopp.

"Commercial" rap is some of the worst shit known to mankind, I totally agree.  "Commercial" rock is just as bad.  Have you heard some of the 15yr old poetry that comes out of these 30 year old men??  I would love to see "Nickelback" "My Chemical Romances" and "Blink 182" die a horrible death, right along with "50 Cent" and "Ja Rule".

But there IS very good hip hopp out there, backed with very smart people.  Such as "Outkast" "Eminem" and "Wu-Tang"..  I am not a rap fan, but those guys are super talented and they do NOT talk about the same old gangster shit.

It's the mainstream that makes everything look bad, not individual jackass's like the "R-Kelly" guy.
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep, and you weep alone. "oldboy"

The Octopus

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 01:21:27 AM »

smorgdonkey wrote on Sun, 30 April 2006 12:29

I agree with the no hip-hop thing...the 'rap/hip-hop culture' promotes violence and promotes devaluing the image of women in my opinion. The more someone is shot whether he survives or not is directly proportional to his popularity.
The entire genre will have to vacate the following topics before I'll ever be able to give it any credibility:
-I've got money
-I've got hos ( or b*tches, or whatever other negative term )
-I'm the best ( on the mic, with the ladies, etc.)
I don't think it's racist. The girl from the Black Eyed Peas is white and I think her lyrics and schtick are one of the worst ever.

By the way, I'm slighly 'peach' coloured.  

This doesn't make any sense.
First, blanket statements about any group of anything are never accurate.
Second, rock culture has promoted violence and 'devaluing the image of women'.  
Third, does 'the hip hop culture' do these things or is it just your opinion that it does these things?

What you're saying is that an entire culture is going to have to change if you are to work with one person who may be associated with that culture.
racist.

People should be able to sing about whatever they want. The fact that rock bands sing about these very same things, but you think that's ok because they're rock (read: white people music)is pure racism.

I don't like hip hop. The majority of what I've heard lacks depth. Hip Hop is still young and has plenty of time to develope.

But having a rule banning an entire culture from your services: Crap.

Jeremy

The Octopus

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 01:23:12 AM »

Werewolf10 wrote on Sun, 30 April 2006 20:04

...  Have you heard some of the 15yr old poetry that comes out of these 30 year old men?? ...

Oh yeah and excellent David Cross reference.

Plush

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 12:21:57 PM »

I know R. Kelly's going to jail.
Hudson Fair
Atelier HudSonic, Chicago

http://www.myspace.com/hudsonek

Fenris Wulf

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 06:36:11 PM »

x
KDVS Studio A

jlamour

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 11:28:51 PM »

Plush wrote on Mon, 01 May 2006 11:21

I know R. Kelly's going to jail.

Nice one Plush.  I'm laughing my ass off.
All knowledge is contextual.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 20 queries.