R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LDC on toms, I'm spoiled-HELP  (Read 8956 times)

MI

Re: LDC on toms, I'm spoiled-HELP
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 10:59:03 AM »

King Whistle wrote on Thu, 27 April 2006 05:02

Mario,
why Hamburg and not Vienna ?

Thaddeus Corea.

Hi Thaddeus,

I think you'd have to try them to be sure, but the ADK Vienna
is "inspired" by a AKG sound, and the Hamburg a "German"
sound...you can take that with a grain of salt. PM or e-mail
JP Gerard for more info on ADK's, or have look at Larry's
thread about the mics on the ADK web site:

http://www.adkmic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=113

Having said that, I found the Vienna has more top end,
Hamburg more mid range. If I had to choose, I go with Vienna
for OH's and Hamburg for Toms.

Mario

wwittman

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 05:36:36 PM »

I think you can still find used Gefell M-71's or MT-71s for about $800.

hard to beat them in that price range, or even at their $1100  full whack new price.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

MI

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 07:06:16 PM »

wwittman wrote on Mon, 01 May 2006 17:36

I think you can still find used Gefell M-71's or MT-71s for about $800.

hard to beat them in that price range, or even at their $1100  full whack new price.

I think I'll definetly keep my eyes open for some used ones!

Thanks.

Mario

Cerumen

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 03:04:14 PM »

I use the Rode NTK for my toms.
About 3-5 inches off the tom.
Jorge Hernandez

Daniel Asti

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 03:57:14 PM »

We've bought a couple of those new cheap(and not so cheap) ribbons and had them modded for noise and tuned for crisper highs. I bought the EH/octavia clone a Nady and an AEA. They sound great on all deep drums. I run them through a SSL 504 mic module I got cheap on ebay ($250)- I think it's one of the only SSL modules that has an output transformer(Jensen). You can put the mic pretty far back and crank the gain.  Super - super - super rich tone. I've been doing this for a while but it does require patience and it doesn't make for the speediest tracking session.

When I just need to go quick I have alway used an AKG d1000e which is such a workhorse and I give it the edge over the sm57 even though it's basically the same mic I feel like toms sound "rounder" and more "clear". With toms I try to mentally envision "round" at least when I'm tracking - maybe that's all hocus pocus but I use that for mic placement. D1000E = Trustworthy tone - no suprises.

TunaSafeDolphin

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2006, 06:17:11 AM »

Surprised there aren't more 414 votes. I had some free time one days and did roughly 10 or so condensers on a floor tom, and I really dug the 414.

That aside, a couple of Studio Projects mics came pretty close, but distortion was certainly an issue. Maybe some padding may help?

-C
Christian - Professional Mixer/Producer/Engineer
http://www.mixmymusic.net

J.J. Blair

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2006, 11:25:21 AM »

Thad, sorry I didn't see this post earlier.  

One option is to get yourself a couple of Manley / Langevin CR2001s.  One of my favorite sounding tom mics.  They are bulky, but  you won't be able to damage them with your drum sticks.  They are tanks.  

Another REALLY amazing tom mic is the Gefell M300 small diaphragm condenser.  A really stellar tom mic.  Do a search in Fletcher's forum for my tom mic shootouts.  These things have so much note to them, and a nice attack.

BTW, like TSD said, 414s are actually an OK option.  You should be able to find C414-EB P48s (the first version of the black ones) on eBay for around $400 each.  I think, while not sounding as good as the silver EBs, they sound better than any subsequent black version.  

And if you are afraid of getting a condenser mic and hitting it with a drum stick, just tape a SM57 to the top.  That's the best use for those things: Deflecting the drumsticks off of a really good mic.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Red Tape

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2006, 12:04:09 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 19 May 2006 16:25

And if you are afraid of getting a condesner mic and hitting it with a drum stick, just tape a SM57 to the top.  That's the best use for those things: Deflecting the drumsticks off of a really good mic.

Hehe. Awesome.

mattrussell

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2006, 04:35:51 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 19 May 2006 11:25

And if you are afraid of getting a condenser mic and hitting it with a drum stick, just tape a SM57 to the top.  That's the best use for those things: Deflecting the drumsticks off of a really good mic.  

that is one of the funniest things i've read on these posts.  

good idea, but i'm still a fan of the 57.  i'll find some old HH to destroy this way though.  i know we're talking about LDC's and such, but i really like beyer m88's on toms.  great rejection and wonderful sound.  on larg toms (16's and up), i think the key is to get an LDC under the drum as well.  i like 414's for this.

no, the m88's won't sound anything like the other mics mentioned here, but i can't help but tell you to check them out if you haven't heard them.  my problem with most LDC on toms (in some form of rock being played loudly) is bleed from the cymbals.  maybe i just haven't spent enough time trying them, but i often don't have a ton of time and the beyers have always worked very well for me.  421's have been so-so.  not the biggest fan of them, but i've used them a few times.  again, not my favorite but they have worked for me at times.

matt russell
producer/engineer
boston, ma
http://www.gainstructure.com

el duderino

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006, 10:07:52 AM »

last week i used a U87 on floor tom for the first time and I love it. Before i was usually using a 421 or RE20, the RE20 definitely can work but its so freakin big it can be a pain depending where the ride is. anyway, the U87 was fantastic on top. I also used a 414 on the bottom and together they were huge. my best floor tom sound to date id say. Could definitely be unnecesarily big in situations but this was a rock band and the drummer only had a bass drum, snare and floor tom so huge was good.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006, 06:14:09 PM »

I'm still terribly fond of my AKG D19s.  Combined with my OHs in isoceles triangle mode, they always sound punchy and huge.  I've even got Ross buying them now!  LOL.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.