R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Gyraf??  (Read 22769 times)

George_

Re: Gyraf??
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2006, 12:54:36 AM »

you will find all the mods here:
http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110

we are currently designing a Sidechainfunction for our Gyraf SSL

cheers
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

Skip

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2006, 01:55:57 AM »

j.hall wrote:

i don't recall signing anything with jakob agreeing to honor his policies, nor do i feel i'm even remotely in the wrong by selling them for a loss based on my time and parts cost.

You are quite correct, you didn't sign anything with Jakob, so you're not legally obliged to honor his policies.

It's unfortunate that obviously you do not feel morally obliged either...

Skip
You CAN polish a turd...

synthetic

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2006, 07:58:17 PM »

I was asking for ZMix's mods. Or was it just the annotated complaints?  I thought he had something to add to the design, rather than just shooting it apart by looking at the circuit description.

I remember Fletcher raving about one of these compressors a few months back (the GSSL ripoff with transformers inside, Excellentotone or something). I hope I have the time to finish mine soon.

Revolution

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2006, 02:46:46 AM »

Apparently Fletcher is still picking his jaw up off the ground.They were his words.

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/139200/10158/#m sg_139200

zmix

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2006, 11:38:27 AM »

synthetic wrote on Fri, 12 May 2006 19:58

I was asking for ZMix's mods. Or was it just the annotated complaints?  I thought he had something to add to the design, rather than just shooting it apart by looking at the circuit description.

I remember Fletcher raving about one of these compressors a few months back (the GSSL ripoff with transformers inside, Excellentotone or something). I hope I have the time to finish mine soon.

Was there something unclear about my post that I can help you with?

I was specifically pinpointing the areas where the circuit diverges from the original and attempting to illustrate why these seemingly minor variations will cause the resultant device to behave quite unlike an SSL.

If someone sells a Stratocaster copy, but adds humbuckers (to reduce noise), splits the tuners across the headstock (to speed up the tuning process) and shortens the scale by 0.75in (to facilitate easier note bending), you have a Les Paul. Don't call it a Strat.

George_

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2006, 02:18:19 PM »

your point zmix is:
dont call it Gyraf SSLcomp, call it Gyraf Comp and forget the SSL because it sounds completly diffrent in your opinion, and is also "totally" diffrent designed.

right?
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

harryh

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2006, 08:52:08 AM »

I havent built a Gyraf Gssl as of yet,but I have worked with two and I liked them.I have been looking at building a set for a couple of years and read the Prodigy forum religously,and I have never gotten the impression they were supposed to be just like an SSL.I thought the notes on Jacobs site tell you it is a much simpler circuit for DIY.
 Also,from my experience there are many professional studio items,Pres,compressors,and such that sell for 1-2 grand that dont have more than 350$ in parts.What they do have is profit,labour,shipping,development and so on.Jacob has given those that build on his boards his development and expertise free,not to mention all the good folks at Prodigy that go out of there way to help those of us that need it.I would hate to guess how much time Jacob devotes to helping others for free,Im just glad he does it.
 Harry  

j.hall

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2006, 12:20:04 PM »

Jakob Erland wrote on Wed, 10 May 2006 03:47

though I had the understanding that you actually got the pcb's in question for free?

what exactly does that have to do with this conversation other then trying to undermine the validity of my opinion publically?

Quote:

And yes, there is still several things that could be optimized on the gyraf/diy pages, but I really haven't had much time lately to work on these (non-commercial, I must add) projects.

fair enough!

Quote:

acheiving a threshold sensitivity that is more in line with modern-day converter levels will take the addition of a resistor at the threshold pot.

you mean, creating a sensitivity that doesn't go from 1 dB of compression to 7 with the tiniest movement of the thrshold knob is typical in units designed pre digital era?

Quote:

All these minor updates (that will not require an updated PCB) are being worked on, and will hopefully appear on our webpage sometime soon.

good, i think that's only fair.

Quote:

Remember, that the scope of this project never was to enable people to get hold on cheap versions of pro-equipment, but to motivate them to get into the art of audio electronics.

that may very well have been your intention, but it's awful niave of you to think that 99% of the people building these aren't hoping they will get an SSL buss compressor out of the deal.

i built mine as an experiment.  there is a reason a 384 demands the price it does, and there is a reason that Alan Smart is the only guy with a similar product.  if your unit was that close, you probably would be selling them.....so i figured the best way to find out was to actually put it to the test.

Quote:

Which is also why we are worried more than a bit about people (like yourself?) who are building and selling these units openly

that sort of implies that i built them with the intention of selling them.  the only assumption i've made of you is that you had time to update the design of this thing to address some problems that MANY people are experiencing.  to that, i'm sorry.  please don't make assumptions about my motivations.

i built the units, i used them for over a year while attmepting to tweak them out a bit.  i enjoyed them for what they are, but i simply don't need or want what they are anymore.  it's time for them to go.

i find absolutely no problem with this.............

Tim Campbell

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2006, 10:19:08 AM »

Excuse me but am I missing something?

Is this a thread with the title Gyraf where no Gyraf products are discussed and half the people responding are complaining about the quality of devices they themselves have built?

The SSL compressor I've compared the Gyraf clone to can be found here http://www.feedback.dk/ in studie 2 not a 384 which isn't exactly the same as the original mix buss compressor.

Jakob makes it clear on our web pages that the DIY projects listed are intended to help further peoples understanding of electronics and may be incomplete or contain errors.

Anyone interested in building a compressor from info contained on our web pages is free to improve upon it as much as they like and contribute to the info we have posted.

I guess I'm still not getting the point of this thread.

Kind regards,
Tim Campbell
Gyraf Audio
Campbell Transmitter
www.timcampbell.dk

brian harrison

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2006, 10:53:46 AM »

sounds like a few of the people that built these are basically saying that they are not carbon copy clones of the real thing and considering its a diy project who could expect them to be 100% with all the variables involved. im in the process of building 4 right now and look forward to the learning end of it as much as the listening part of it. unless im way off base gyraf's original intent was to assist people in pulling off a diy project. from what ive seen on the prodigy website there are more than enough people around the world more than willing to help iron out some of the wrinkles in the design. rather than use that resource some people are acting like whiney babies "wah wah wah i want my mommy this ratio knob isnt acting right and it makes me sad so i will cry out in the open playground of the internet" a hearty thanks to all at gyraf for making this available and if i screw it up and all 4 sound like ass and turpentine i will still have learned something and will spend the extra time to make them work if it takes it. lets see if i bought 4 of the real thing that would cost me somewhere around 14 thousand bucks. instead i can snort lead solder fumes, damage my gene pool a little more, possibly learn something and have 4 cool boxes for around 14 hundred bucks. seems reasonable. flame on i can take it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.