R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Article in EQ magazine.  (Read 16443 times)

John Vestman

Re: Article in EQ magazine.
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2006, 06:31:36 AM »

This site has produced quite the variety of posts in response to the Separations article in the May issue of EQ Magazine.  I have many family and business commitments which don’t always afford me the time to get on to web site discussions - but in this case I would like to respond.

Several posts on this thread are supportive of my efforts, and I acknowledge and appreciate those positive contributors.  In the last year that I’ve done Separation Mastering, I’ve gotten an extremely enthusiastic response from my clients and from many engineers in the industry.  It would seem selfish to not “put the word out” and EQ was gracious enough to agree that the information is valuable.

Regarding the negative comments on this thread, I note that they come from people who have never met me, and so it’s possible they may have gotten the wrong idea from a line or two in the EQ article.  

Magazine writers usually find eye-catching ways to draw the reader into the article: the subheading indicates that we’ve “managed to make your mastering obsolete.”  But let me clarify, we never gave any text to the magazine that indicated we were diminishing anyone else’s methods or results.  This article’s intentions are about another way for better sound to be realized by more artists, producers, etc.  Nothing invalidating toward other methods or other mastering engineers was ever intended.

I’d like to give a reply to a few posts:

“he's just trying to make a living like the rest of us, but he's making out like he invented Stems mastering.”

Stems mastering has been around a long time, but many mastering studios won’t touch it because it can be a can of worms. I had a client who skimmed my web page and sent in stems -- 20 of them.  It was a huge undertaking.  There were no reverbs, there were level changes in the final mix that weren’t in the stems, and there were vocals with no verb and weren’t panned.  We want to make a distinction here that serves people because it’s clear and deliberate about the form and the A-B method that honors the original stereo mixdown.  

Separations distinctly mean that the stereo “subgroups” the client submits must contain the verbs and effects relative to the tracks that are being separated from the whole mix.  It’s an easy definition for many recordists who want to have more flexibility in the mastering room.  Since the wordage relates to color separations, we felt that it would identify the exact purpose and context of the format.  

“I'm still waiting for him to answer my questions on another thread about hearing differences on two different cd-r blanks when there are no CU's on either.  You can get the same Taiyo cyanine type 1 long strategy cd-r under Memorex or Fuji for example. Only difference is the packaging.”

“He must have great hearing.”

Ask Bernie Grundman if he’s ever heard different CDR's sound different.  Ask him if he’s ever heard the same file sound different when it came from a different type of media/drive/etc.  I have an excellent monitoring system that allows anyone to hear what I hear.  It’s not about me, it’s about results.  I state on my web site that other engineers, clients etc. heard differences that some people on discussions like this haven’t heard yet.  I’m not alone in my findings and neither are you.  

”All you have to do is read his site. It's seriously a laugh-a-minute.”

Personally I find it interesting when the moderator on a site is an expert at insults and has nothing to say about the audio topic of the thread.  In fact, no one on this thread has stated that Separations don’t sound good, aren’t practical, won’t benefit a large number of artists, are too expensive, etc.  

When people spend time putting someone else down, it makes me wonder why their time isn’t more valuable.  At least 50 out of 70-some articles on my site revolve around supporting others.  My articles help my business to be sure, but there’s no hidden catch, there’s no sign-up or abundance of advertising banners.  

I also find it interesting that in a time when the world has become so volatile in many aspects, people in our industry are battling each other.  It’s almost like some people think that the biggest bully wins.  I can understand why some people can see Americans as being combative- all they need do is look at how we treat each other, and they have all the evidence they need.  

”...swear words?”

I won’t master a project that is filled with abusive language or lyrics about killing, illegal weapons, drugs or abuse of women.  I don’t want my name on it, I don’t want to contribute to young people hearing that, and I do my best to be a positive person.  I have many clients who appreciate that I stick to my principles.  I feel it’s one of my personal responsibilities to contribute to better life for everyone in whatever small way I can.  

Our thoughts contribute to our experiences.  Personally, I’d really like to experience more peace on this planet, and a lot of anger-filled or disrespectful music doesn’t lead to more peace in my opinion.  

I’m a fan of quantum physics, where science points out that our behaviors follow our thoughts (or to put it another way, our result occur depending on how we look at things).  If you want some science about this, here’s a book I find fascinating:   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553344803/sr=8-1/qid=11467 33016/ref=sr_1_1/103-3821928-7628637?%5Fencoding=UTF8

”Although I didn't actually read the "article", seemed like he was describing a version of stems.”
“How does EQ come to print a market-speak sales brochure for JV purporting it to be a real article?”
”I looked for an "author" or "advertisement" designation, found neither... maybe a new category of Infomercial publishing.”

Are you saying that if someone has an idea that is easy to understand, extremely flexible, opens up lots of sonic possibilities for artists, we shouldn’t say anything about it?  If stems mastering is so prevalent, why didn’t EQ print something in that regard earlier?  Why do so many people ask me, “Why hasn’t this been done before?”  

I’m amazed that some people spend time “taking away” from others, instead of considering there could be an opportunity -- if they would only look at the intention -- look at the function of what’s being offered.  

We started this in March of last year, and now 70% of our clients use the Separation format.  It takes a bit longer (nothing compared to stems mixing) and so, yes, my business has increased.  If you offer it in your studio, I’d say your business will increase as well.  Along with an increased number of really happy clients.  I’d say that’s win-win.  Not all of the posts here have that same spirit.  

Why not look for the good that’s being offered?  Anyone is welcome to use the term Separation Mastering if they feel that the format is clear enough to attract clients and create happy customers for themselves.  Personally, I think there’s enough to go around.

”all badly superimposed on a crap GIF of me in my laundry room?”

I explained in the other thread that I simply haven’t had the time to get new photos, etc.  There are web site upgrades in the works, but in the meantime, what does that have to do with Separations and the subject of this thread?  

”Isn't it usually people that hasn't been enlightened yet that makes fun of these things?”

Thank you for your comment.  Enlightened or not, anyone can choose at any time whether or not they want to contribute to others, or detract from them.  Usually if someone asks for my support, I’ll do my best to give it.  If I make a mistake, I’ll do my best to understand it and correct it.  If Mr. Blackwood, Mr. Collins (or whoever) feel they’re helpful by being condescending, I’ll  respectfully state that we have differences in our approach toward other people.

”You have to admit that putting lots of famous people's names on the front page of your website (and not clearly stating that they are not clients) is misleading. There's a link to his actual clients below the list of famous people's work he uses for reference listening. The intention is obvious.”

Our intention is to show that we listen to great sounding recordings, which means we’re paying attention at the same level.  Does it help our search engine placement?  I don’t think it makes any difference.  99.9% of the search criteria used to find our site does not revolve around those top artist names.  I clearly state in RED where people can go to see our client list.  

On the Commercial CD page with those top name albums, I compliment and honor numerous OTHER engineers who’s work I admire.  None of those top engineers are making derogatory remarks on this thread about me.  Interesting.  

“I thought John Vestman was Bill Roberts' roommate?”

Mr. Roberts has contacted me and I find him to be a person of integrity who offers a lot to his clients and is dedicated to sonic excellence.

”those monitor controllers he builds, they look kind of...well...good!”

Thank you.

”considering he uses potentiometers rather than stepped attenuators, there's probably at least one spot where L & R channels match. Almost. Other than that, I'd agree with DC - Firlotte knows what he's doing.”

Steve Firlotte recommended potentiometers for cost reasons, and also because Nautilus gear is made for both studio and mastering applications.  It would be too much expense for the studios, and anyone who wants a custom unit simply needs to ask for a modified unit.  

”Why are those sold on "cassette tape" from an ME?”

Again, if you look closely, you’ll find the copyright date.  Family and business time constraints have kept me from releasing that product on CD.  Also note there are numerous links on that page to articles that are all about... you guessed it... supporting others.  Including the link for sale of the product that goes to ANOTHER business.  

Some of my time is dedicated to the support of charitable organizations such as ChildHelp USA and the Red Cross.  I wish I had time to give more.  I hope that the extra promotion that I give to these and others is enough to make some small difference.  In the end, even the small differences may be felt at a larger level.  I hope I’ve clarified what I’m about and what we’re trying to present to others with the information about Separation Mastering.

Thank you for your time.
Peace and best wishes,
John Vestman

bblackwood

« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2006, 07:55:21 AM »

John Vestman wrote on Thu, 04 May 2006 05:31

Personally I find it interesting when the moderator on a site is an expert at insults and has nothing to say about the audio topic of the thread.  In fact, no one on this thread has stated that Separations don?t sound good, aren?t practical, won?t benefit a large number of artists, are too expensive, etc.  

Talk about drive-by posting!

Look around, John, there are many threads here where we have discussed stems over and over...

As to being an 'expert at insults' - I'll take that as a compliment. I'm sure you're a nice guy, but IMO are the type that makes people focus on this minutiae and miss the big picture. Like it or not, lots of people read these sites/articles/forums and walk away trying to implement what they read. In this case, they'll spend time listening to which hard drive is best - is that really what most clients should be listening for?

No offense, but your 'advice' certainly seems more about people being amazed by your hearing and not how they can improve their work. Quite frankly, anyone who reads this forum will know by now that we don't pull punches around here - when we see BS we call it, no exceptions. It is called Mastering Demystified...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Gold

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2006, 11:10:28 AM »

Ed Littman wrote on Mon, 24 April 2006 22:56

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UBoat50 Rolling Eyes

Man, those don't look like a cheap solution to me. Are they the reason your room sounds so good?
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

turtletone

« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2006, 11:28:24 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong here, Isn't stems what JV referes to as seperations? What he thinks are stems, are really just a multitrack. I have personally been working with stems (groups, seperations, or whatever you want to call it) for 20 years. And I learned that from other engineers. So it's been around for a long long time. Other magazines have done articles on it too, I was interviewed for a couple of them. So taking a common understood and widely used term like "stems", renaming it, like it's something new, is a bit misleading. The reason why no one has ever heard of it before, is because you put fake bunny ears on a dog and called it a new breed.
Michael Fossenkemper
TurtleTone Studio
info@turtletonestudio.com
www.turtletonestudio.com

masterhse

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2006, 12:01:09 PM »

Let's call a spade a spade.

The EQ article was nothing more than a veiled marketing piece.

And Brad is a bully.
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

Mark Donahue

« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2006, 01:22:51 PM »

Just a quick note,
Hasn't Phil Ramone been talking about mixing to stems (with reverb and effects) for about 30 years? Hmmm....
All the best,
Mark
Mark Donahue
Chief Mastering Engineer
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
http://www.soundmirror.com

Bob Boyd

« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2006, 01:38:29 PM »

Y'all be sure to look for my article next month covering my new innovative technique called splits.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

Andy Krehm

« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2006, 01:51:36 PM »

Whenever my clients want to bring in stems, I make sure they understand that they are to be separately printed versions of the stereo mixes. They almost always seem to understand this anyway and therefore I conclude that "separations" and "stems" are the same.

Using the term "separation" is obviously a marketing ploy. Actually, maybe I'll start calling them "elements". Do you think Mix Magazine will go for it? I can just see me on the cover with my nice new room in the background........

Back to reality.

It is my observation that the stereo mix almost always sounds better than the sum total of stems when re-combined. What people forget is that "elements" of the mix (stems) that are printed separately do not hit the gear at the same volume as the stereo mix and therefore sound a little different when combined. This is especially true in regards to compressors. They especially don't work the same way when the signal going into them is dropped.

Having said that, I was working on a gospel album yesterday where the producer had sent me stereo mixes and two stems, the lead vocal and the music track with background vocals. As usual, the stereo mix had more qualities that I liked than the combined stems but on one track, where the vocal was too loud and too bright, I used the stems with eq and volume adjustments rather than working with the M/S of the stereo file.

So, definitely handy, from time to time, but I don't encourage my clients to use them unless they are very unsure of their mixes or they want to take the time to create them, pay me to load them, just in case they might come in handy.

What do others think of this? I can't imagine 70% of my work coming as separations...no stems...I mean "elements"!

Andy,

Silverbirch Productions.

masterhse

« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2006, 03:33:26 PM »

Andy Krehm wrote on Thu, 04 May 2006 13:51

What do others think of this? I can't imagine 70% of my work coming as separations...no stems...I mean "elements"!

Brad and I have have a few debates on this, and he usually beats me up for my lunch money.  Razz

Basically, I think that we agreed a good stereo mix is better than stems, but we kinda disagreed that stems (or submixes, I refuse to use the term separations)were useful.

I feel that in cases where you are dealing with an inexperienced engineer, or producer who can't make up their mind, stems are handy. If there is a need for vocal up/down it's a pretty easy change. If the EQ between instruments or vox needs correction due to an inexperienced engineer also fairly easy to fix over having to compromise a stereo mix. If there is a need for a radio edit, they are pretty handy too.

I believe Brad (don't hit me) feels that a producer should commit, and if it's a bad mix, remix it. Also issues with stereo bus processing that I will let him 'esplain'.

I can't really argue those points either, sometimes it's just down to time constraints.

BTW I'm starting to write an article on 2 dimensional mix processing called "Grid Mastering". It's where you process the monophonic and stereo elements of the mix separately. And no it's not the same thing as M/S processing. Because I said so!

Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

bblackwood

« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2006, 04:37:45 PM »

masterhse wrote on Thu, 04 May 2006 11:01

And Brad is a bully.

Gimme yer lunch money.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

TotalSonic

« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2006, 05:43:07 PM »

I had refrained from participating in this thread because I hadn't yet read the EQ article and because John wasn't present on this board to defend himself.  Since at this point both of these things have happened I'll add my 2 cents in here.

First off - to John, I greatly appreciate that you've replied to the criticisms here, many that were stated without any courtesy, in a courteous and professional manner - and you get my serious respect and props for this.

However - having read the EQ article I can see where the controversy arises from.  Your definition of "seperations" IS in fact exactly what is very commonly referred industry wide as working with stems - and indeed this technique has been used for many many years in the industry by both post production engineers (many of whom use it as standard operating procedure) and mastering engineers (although admitedly not as frequently).  I think coming up with a new term for something that has already been clearly defined and is commonly used and then inferring  that it is something that originates with yourself is indeed misleading and actually mis-educates those readers of EQ that might not be in fact experienced engineers.  

In regards to your statement "If stems mastering is so prevalent, why didn?t EQ print something in that regard earlier?" - a recent article on Greg Calbi (I think either in Mix or EQ) that preceded the one on you by a number of months did indeed go into detail about working with stems in mastering.  There have been numerous other discussions in print regarding the technique also (including on this forum for a number of years).

Anyway -
I agree with Brad that also what to all my own tests and research are in fact a number of serious "digital myths" that are listed on your pages constitutes both bad advice and misleads potential clients to focusing on irrelevant minuteia - and while based on your posts I feel that you are indeed a very sincere person with good personal integrity - it is indeed very possible to cynically perceive these points as just being in the service of inferring that you can in fact hear more details than other engineers do.   But the fact that you are worried about the placement of your hard drives but don't feel a potentiometer instead of stepped attenuator in a prominent place in your monitoring chain is not in fact a downside does indeed raise my eyebrow and concern me that in fact you are being distracted from critical issues by non-critical ones.  Of course that is irrelevent if in fact you are making your clients happy with your work.  Still - I feel that making claims such as many of the "digital myths" you've posted but with only extremely questionable evidence to back you up is in fact a general disservice to educating the general public towards how in fact to get a better sounding end release.

Anyway - John - I'd like to thank you once again for the respectful manner in which you've replied on this forum and while I disagree vociferously with a number of your claims still wish you the best.

Regarding working from stems in general:
Last month I worked on a project for a children's music CD where at the clients insistence we started the work with "seperations" - in this case the clients in the box mixes done in his home project studio that he was able to bring directly in to me as we both use the same DAW app (SAWStudio).  In this case I actually felt it was advantageous as the client while an accomplished musician was relatively inexperienced at engineering,  By starting with the stems I was able to solve a couple of problems at the source (most probelmatic was shakers/tambourines having a lot of ice pick in the ear high end on them, and uneven vox levels on some tracks) in ways that were indeed less damaging than if I had to do more surgical 2 track processing such as radical eq'ing or multiband compression.  The session for a 45 minute 19 song CD ended up taking 15 hours across 2 days though - as within this there was essentially a remix session and then secondarily I just did the actual mastering (which I figured would usually take around me around 8 or so hours if I had just been working from stereo mixes).  He ended up being really happy with the results.  HOWEVER - it did indeed take a lot longer than if I just was mastering from stereo mixes, and by having to work for a bit on the mixes it was indeed a major struggle to keep the fresh perspective that one gets from directly going to the mastering.  And - I truly think that having a clear nonfatigued perspective on the tracks is indeed often a critical part of making the best decisions on what processing to do (or not do) for these.

So - in some cases when working with mixes coming from home project studios run by inexperienced engineers I can definitely see some possible advantage in working from stems.  BUT to have this ratio be 70% - and to try to encourage 100%! - to me either indicates that an ME that was working only with mixes coming from people not truly capable at their jobs - or seems to me that it indicates someone just encourgaring a practice that will merely increase their income without resulting in a better sounding product.   Now - I don't think that a mastering studio branching out into doing final mixing tweaks in order to generate extra income is a bad thing at all - but to state that this is the best possible practice for all mastering seems to me to be misleading at best.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Garrett H

« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2006, 04:33:39 PM »

John,

Thanks for writing a reply.  This is a tough crowd. You should come to Tape Op and meet the gang and you'll realize what silly-heads 99% of us really are.

But you have to admit - your hair looked raveshing!
Treelady Studios, Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.treelady.com
Senior Contributor, Tape Op Magazine
http://www.tapeop.com
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.