R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a decent reference amp  (Read 2246 times)

Frob

a decent reference amp
« on: April 21, 2006, 07:01:23 PM »

i need one. about 80w per channel. it will be for monitoring, but i cant afford like 2000 im hoping for like maybe 200. but just want to know what your experience is. all else fails i will just get an old onkyo off ebay.

danickstr

Re: a decent reference amp
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 08:30:45 PM »

Hafler worked for me for a long time....sounded good and built solid.

edit: hafler is gone from da earth. Crying or Very Sad
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

archtop

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 08:59:20 PM »

Happy with my Crown DC 300A.

They can be had for a couple hundred buck.

It sounds way better  than the Yamaha 2050 (I think that was the model #) it replaced.

Especially in the lows.
Richard Williams

John Ivan

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 12:41:29 PM »

Some of the old HI-FI amps sounded pretty good. I had an SAE amp that I liked. I had a Parasound that was a good sounding amp. And, I had this HUGE Bose amp that I thought was going to sound bad but, it sounded almost as good as the Parasound. THEY WERE ALL THREE STOLEN FROM ME IN STORAGE!!!@#$%^& Sad

I have a Hafler DH 200 that has two bad mosfet output devices that were very hard to find. I finaly found a source for them,at $65.00 for a pair! Those amp's  sounds real good if they were put together right,IIRC.{they were kit's}

For new amps, if you can keep them out of the room {fan noise}The Crest amps sound good,at least some of them do.Some of the new Crown amp's sound good.{so do the old ones}

Really, some of the new mid end PA amps are fast and clean but they cost some $$$. They will run in a studio for ever and ever..

Hey, I knew a guy who used CS-800's and I know what ya'll might say about that but his mixes are really great.

I'm so mad about my amps Evil or Very Mad

JI...................................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

idylldon

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 10:02:48 PM »

John Ivan wrote on Sat, 22 April 2006 09:41

Some of the old HI-FI amps sounded pretty good.

Agreed.  I use the power amp section from an early 70s Sansui receiver.  It was the first "good" stereo system my parents bought when I was in my teens and I kept it in the garage for many years.  After building my studio, I didn't have any extra cash for a power amp, so I gutted the Sansui and made a nice case for the power amp section.  I've been using it for a few years now and it's worked out fine.  It's built pretty damn well, like most things were back in the days.

Cheers,
--
Don

Idyllwild Brewing Company
Fine home-brewed beer, tube guitar amps, and recording services.

crm0922

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 06:12:41 PM »

Try a Rotel.  Anything from their line that has balanced inputs should suffice.  Good sound, inexpensive price, and can be found on ebay in abundance (usually).

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 17 queries.