R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternatives To Neumann M150's For DECCA Tree?  (Read 9801 times)

klaus

Alternatives To Neumann M150's For DECCA Tree?
« on: April 17, 2011, 09:51:01 PM »

Originally Posted By: Alan Meyerson on Fri, 04 April 2008

Anyone out there making decent capsules?
 I'm looking to augment my collection with another tree option.

Right now I change between my M150's and my (amazing) VM1 KHE's for the Tree, depending on the style and size of the orchestra. Sometimes I wish I had a third option. I tried Senn MKH800's/80"S. Also B&K 4006's. All good, but not the business.

I'd love to investigate having some real basic custom mics built without all the "vintage" casings and PS's. For example, Doug Sax/Mastering Labs made these C-12-like mics a while back where they put all the money into the capsule and the electronics and didn't care about the cosmetics. They were some of the best mics I ever used.

That's what I'd like to investigate. Just great components without all the fancy cosmetics.
 Any thoughts?

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

ameyerson

• Real Full Name: Alan Meyerson
Re: Alternatives To Neumann M150's For DECCA Tree?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 07:03:59 PM »

So, all these years after my original post. I've been using Sennheiser MKH800 twins with great results. Now I have discovered FLEA 250's.
Loving them,
Alan

klaus

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 08:36:47 PM »

What capsules does he use? That seemed (at least to me) the holy grail of the original Neumann M50: That marvellous mic processor + aluminum diaphragms tensioned to the tearing point.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

teleric

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 04:47:05 AM »

It's great news that one great set of knowledgeable ears publish that kind of oppinion.
Is there any sound difference between the Flea50 and Flea250. Their site is not very clear.
Is this a sign that neumann's M(2)50 can finally head toward museums?

on the km133 front, has anyone used them yet?
Eric Harizanos

Jim Williams

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 11:56:32 AM »

One company I did work for in the EU sold their 3 original M-50 mics and have replaced them with modified AKG 460B's for the tree. Pony Canyon uses 3 B+K 4003's for the tree.

These are strictly classical music outfits, they do not record movie soundtracks.

didier.brest

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 08:00:49 PM »

on the km133 front, has anyone used them yet?

Yep, but not in a Decca tree and not on an orchestra. :)

DPA
Neumann
Didier Brest

teleric

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 03:00:42 PM »

And what did you think?
Only the kmD is available right?
Eric Harizanos

didier.brest

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 06:42:48 PM »

I just can hear what you can ear yourself on this take. No more experience at this time. The 4041 is a flagship from DPA. Althoug being a true pressure mic, it is an LD and has a bit of this this bigger than life character that one generally expect from an LD, combined with the extreme accuracy, especially against the transients, that DPA is known for. It is an extraordinary mic IMO.   Here I hear the Neumann having a fuller and softer timbre that suits better this music. However it is also very fast; I get a very good feeling of the note attacks. I like it a lot. :)
That's just my feeling on this take.

There is a KM A (analog) and a KM D (digital) body. On the previous PSW forum animated by Klaus, someone reported that he had got a pair of KM 133 A (KM A body + KK 133 cap). Hence I guess that KM A is also available. It is mentioned on Neumann internet site here.
Didier Brest

John Willett

• Real Full Name: John Willett
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 11:36:16 AM »

Originally Posted By: Alan Meyerson on Fri, 04 April 2008

Anyone out there making decent capsules?
 I'm looking to augment my collection with another tree option.

Right now I change between my M150's and my (amazing) VM1 KHE's for the Tree, depending on the style and size of the orchestra. Sometimes I wish I had a third option. I tried Senn MKH800's/80"S. Also B&K 4006's. All good, but not the business.

I'd love to investigate having some real basic custom mics built without all the "vintage" casings and PS's. For example, Doug Sax/Mastering Labs made these C-12-like mics a while back where they put all the money into the capsule and the electronics and didn't care about the cosmetics. They were some of the best mics I ever used.

That's what I'd like to investigate. Just great components without all the fancy cosmetics.
 Any thoughts?

How about the new Neumann KK133 head with KM-A or KM-D module?

The capsule is basically the same as is in the TLM 50, but without the vintage housing and the mic. is much smaller and lighter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 24 queries.