R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Tommy" The Who  (Read 8546 times)

Ronny

Re: "Tommy" The Who
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 07:27:17 PM »

The thread sparked my re-interest in Tommy, so yesterday I bought the DVD and watched it last night. Ann-Margaret sure did a fine job as well. Her vocals are really good for the most part, only a couple places where I thought she could have done better. Moon as Uncle Ernie was the most humorous role and he was perfectly cast for that part. I'd forgotten that Jack Nicholson was also in the film, playing the doctor and Elton John as the dethroned Pinball King with the huge stacked boots was excellent for that role. I remember playing the Captain Fantastic Brown Dirt Cowboy pinball machine in the 70's that had Elton dressed like he was in the movie on the back panel. Great flick, I enjoyed this time as much as I did when I saw it on the big screen some 30 years or so ago.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

J.J. Blair

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 10:14:41 PM »

The Maximum R&B DVD has some amazing footage of the band at their apex.

I posted the Who's Next demos for people to check out.

http://homepage.mac.com/jjblair/.Public/Lifehouse%20Demos.zi p

Warning, it's a 98 mb zip file.

Maybe I'll upload the Tommy demos later tonight if somebody says "please".
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Lee Tyler

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 12:03:39 AM »

http://www.orlyowl.com/please.jpg

....and thanks!   Very Happy

Lee
Nurse to doctor: "Doctor, there is a man in the waiting room who thinks he's invisible".

Doctor to nurse: "Nurse, tell him I can't see him"

wwittman

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 03:24:51 AM »

okay JJ, please

I heard the Pinball Wizard demo really early, before the record came out.
But I don't think I've ever heard any OTHER Tommy demos...

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

masterhse

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 12:02:39 PM »

Any and all demos of The Who or PT's solo work are greatly appreciated ...
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

hurricaneE

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006, 02:07:15 PM »

Quote:

In later years I mixed the Philly Quad concert for King Biscuit. Was kinda a religious experience for me.

I've got a boot of that broadcast!  Thank you!  -E
Eric Tischler

hurricaneE

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 02:12:22 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Mon, 24 April 2006 03:14

The Maximum R&B DVD has some amazing footage of the band at their apex.

Absolutely.  After years of looking for a DVD release in the racks (I bought it on VHS when it came out), I poneyed up for a South American release that plays fine so, if anyone else is stymied by the lack of an American version, a South American one might take care of ya.  It's a GREAT disc.  -E
Eric Tischler

J.J. Blair

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2006, 02:18:28 PM »

Ummm, there IS an American version of MR&B.  Were you thinking about The Kids Are Alright?  That came out last year on DVD.

Here's the link for the Tommy demos.

http://homepage.mac.com/jjblair/.Public/Tommy%20Demos.zip

59mb zip file.  It won't all probably be loaded until after 12:15 PM PST.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

hurricaneE

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2006, 04:46:53 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Mon, 24 April 2006 19:18

Ummm, there IS an American version of MR&B.  Were you thinking about The Kids Are Alright?  That came out last year on DVD.

Nope.  I got TKAA the day it came out Razz  I dunno; I searched for a US version of MRB for years and couldn't find one.  Doesn't mean it wasn't out there.  Anyhow, the South American (Brazil?) one works fine, so I just wanted to encourage anyone who was in the same boat I was.  -E
Eric Tischler

Lee Tyler

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2006, 06:35:40 PM »

JJ,

Can't begin to thank you enough for posting this Who and Tommy stuff. Fascinating as can be from my perspective. As you might imagine, I have been prompted by your generosity to make reservations in Tommy's Holiday Camp.  Rolling Eyes  However, Uncle Ernie will be in the ajoining room. He makes me nervous.  Shocked

On a serious note, I see that these are "demos". Do you know if those Tommy demos are "sketches" just before they went into the studio??...or were they recorded well before they dived into the studio? And is that the late, great Nicky Hopkins playing the keys?
Nurse to doctor: "Doctor, there is a man in the waiting room who thinks he's invisible".

Doctor to nurse: "Nurse, tell him I can't see him"

masterhse

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2006, 09:25:59 PM »

hurricaneE wrote on Mon, 24 April 2006 14:07

Quote:

In later years I mixed the Philly Quad concert for King Biscuit. Was kinda a religious experience for me.

Glad you enjoyed it. KB was potentially going to release the concert as a CD, but The Who was going on tour with Quad II so it didn't make sense.

I've always liked the first tour more, especially the Quadraphonic  sound system. Probably one of the first "surround" concerts.
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2006, 10:51:15 PM »

hurricaneE wrote on Mon, 24 April 2006 11:07

Well, post that shit, hombre!
studio info

masterhse

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2006, 08:42:46 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Mon, 24 April 2006 22:51

I believe there are legal issues with that, especially in a public forum.

You can get a taste of it here (see Won't Get Fooled Again):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000DBT4/sr=1-33/qid=1145 967976/ref=sr_1_33/103-9023657-3475810?%5Fencoding=UTF8& s=music

I was never really keen on how this track on the CD was mastered, and prefer the live radio concert over the CD though. It would have been very cool if they put this out.  
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.

hurricaneE

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2006, 02:18:23 PM »

masterhse wrote on Tue, 25 April 2006 13:42

You can get a taste of it here (see Won't Get Fooled Again):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000DBT4/sr=1-33/qid=1145  967976/ref=sr_1_33/103-9023657-3475810?%5Fencoding=UTF8& s=music

I was never really keen on how this track on the CD was mastered, and prefer the live radio concert over the CD though. It would have been very cool if they put this out.  

>phew!<  Glad I have an out; I don't know how to post stuff--I can barely turn my computer on.  JJ, if you have a mailing address, I could send you a care package. PM me.  

Does anybody know if Musician's interview with Glyn Johns from 15+ years ago is available anywhere?  -E
Eric Tischler

Ronny

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2006, 09:55:49 PM »

masterhse wrote on Tue, 25 April 2006 08:42

Absolutely. This is a business where client trust is at the top of the list. My clients are real picky about their material getting leaked before "they" release it. If you make copyright material available on a public forum, even if it's been released a long time ago, you aren't showing the trust that a client requires "and deserves". How do your clients know that you won't distribute their material, if you'll openly infringe upon someone else's right to control their own distribution?

The fact that it's a bootleg makes it that much worse, IMHO. It wasn't recorded legally in the first place, so the rightful owners are getting screwed from the get go. By supporting bootlegs you are a part of the problem and not a part of the solution and people wonder why the price of cd's has gone up so much.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------