R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom Bose Speakers  (Read 1842 times)

twelfthandvine

Custom Bose Speakers
« on: June 08, 2006, 04:17:52 AM »

Well, this surely isn't LA, but I've just come from a personal tour of the new Bose in house AV Production/post/mixing centre for Asia Pacific here on the sunny Gold Coast in far away Australia.  Let's just say they had a real budget for this.  It's a nice set of rooms ... with some not yet fully completed.  

What was really interesting was their main control/mix room which they?ve set up to do 5.1 work.  

There, sitting in each corner, were a set of pyramid shaped boxes that I didn?t recognise.  These were matched to a large Genelec Sub.

Of course I asked about the speakers.  

Interestingly, they were custom designed and made by Bose for this internal professional use only and are not available to third parties.  And, they sounded surprisingly good Shocked .  So good, in fact, that the main engineer hadn?t got around to putting up his Dynaudios that were still languishing on the floor.  

The engineer ? who was also initially surprised when he heard them ? had pulled one apart to see what made them tick.  He reports, however, that there was nothing overly ?novel? ? and he?s put it down to simply good design (boxes, crossovers, components) by people who really know what they?re doing with a real budget to work with.

That?s one of the great things about this sector ? you never know what?s lurking out there in unexpected quarters.

Kind regards,
Paul Blakey
12th & Vine Post

Viitalahde

Re: Custom Bose Speakers
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 08:43:19 AM »

This reminds me of what one nice chap once said:

"No highs, no lows, must be Bo**..."
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

Ben F

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 09:07:54 AM »

Cheap chipboard cabinets, paper cone drivers, mexican build quality...

Bose aren't renouned for their sound. They just have their marketing right.

jtr

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 10:18:02 AM »

Bose stands for Boy, Our Stuffs Expensive!

The old Bose 801's (?) with powered mixer was a very popular item in small bars and clubs back in the late 70's and 80's.  It did a fine job on vocals relative to the other small packages at the time-  but they used XLR's for speaker connections. I repaired several pieces of gear (mixers mostly) that somehow, someone managed to connect these outputs directly to the inputs of.

Rob Darling

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 09:52:12 PM »

You know, it's funny how much audio folks love to bitch about Bose.  They always write it off to marketing or hype or whatever.

It never occurs to them that maybe there's a valid musical reason people think they sound good.

The fact is that Bose loudspeakers fit with how people experience music.  The highs don't dominate a room and the lows are present but not too defined.  The result- you can turn them up to that they are satisfyingly present and fill the room with sound, but you can still hear yourself think, carry on a conversation, and enjoy yourself without being overtaken by the speakers.  They also fill the room very evenly, so everyone gets the same experience.  

Call it what you will, but they make people enjoy music.  I listen to my wife's Bose Wave radio or my Tivoli radio way more than i listen to my Proac Studio 100's.  

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 01:04:55 AM »

twelfthandvine wrote on Thu, 08 June 2006 04:17

...he's put it down to simply good design (boxes, crossovers, components) by people who really know what they're doing...

WHAT?  How could that work?

hollis

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 11:30:12 AM »

Quote:

Bose aren't renouned for their sound. They just have their marketing right.

Isn't the slogan: Better Sound Through Marketing

robdarling@mail.com wrote on Thu, 08 June 2006 21:52

You know, it's funny how much audio folks love to bitch about Bose.  They always write it off to marketing or hype or whatever.

It never occurs to them that maybe there's a valid musical reason people think they sound good.

The fact is that Bose loudspeakers fit with how people experience music.  The highs don't dominate a room and the lows are present but not too defined.  The result- you can turn them up to that they are satisfyingly present and fill the room with sound, but you can still hear yourself think, carry on a conversation, and enjoy yourself without being overtaken by the speakers.  They also fill the room very evenly, so everyone gets the same experience.  

Call it what you will, but they make people enjoy music.  I listen to my wife's Bose Wave radio or my Tivoli radio way more than i listen to my Proac Studio 100's.

If someone I know is looking to Bose, I always steer them towards Cambridge Soundworks. There's just no reason to pay Bose prices.

jtr

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 02:43:49 PM »

robdarling@mail.com wrote on Thu, 08 June 2006 18:52

Now that I've had a bit of fun with the Bose name I'll confess that my mother in law has a Bose Wave Radio (w/cd player) - and I actually enjoy listening to it when visiting. Stuff I mastered on Dunlavys sounds surprisingly good when played on the unit. Can't say that for my kitchen Sony "undercounter" radio/cd player.

I still feel Bose is overpriced, but then  they are still in business....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.