R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: still using multiband compression?  (Read 14437 times)

bblackwood

Re: still using multiband compression?
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2006, 08:12:24 AM »

zetterstroem wrote on Mon, 24 April 2006 04:42

jazzius wrote on Fri, 21 April 2006 07:14

From the Voxengo site about Soniformer:

"The main idea behind Soniformer is a spectral balance.  A perfectly balanced mix can be seen on a spectrum analyzer as a smooth spectral curve with minimal number of peaks and notches.  There can be some deviations from this rule, but generally it always applies"

Rolling Eyes  Confused  Shocked

Shocked this is reason enough to never use anything from that company........
Shocked

Good point. Since they say stupid stuff in their marketing, there's no way their tools could be useful...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Ged Leitch

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2006, 01:16:07 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Mon, 24 April 2006 13:12

"The main idea behind Soniformer is a spectral balance.  A perfectly balanced mix can be seen on a spectrum analyzer as a smooth spectral curve with minimal number of peaks and notches.  There can be some deviations from this rule, but generally it always applies"

Shocked

Good point. Since they say stupid stuff in their marketing, there's no way their tools could be useful...

Please be joking???
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

bblackwood

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2006, 01:18:29 PM »

Ged Leitch wrote on Mon, 24 April 2006 12:16

Shocked

Please be joking???

I don't use smilies, but hoped that the sarcasm would be obvious...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Ged Leitch

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2006, 01:53:27 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Mon, 24 April 2006 18:18

Shocked

Please be joking???

I don't use smilies, but I hoped that the sarcasm would be obvious...

Thought so mate, cool, i admit the marketing is a bit weird at times, but as a software guy who has tried alot o' plugs, voxengo really offer some of the best.

BTW Brad, i know I asked this ages ago, but which Pendulum do you use for comp? is it the ES-8? checked it out last night on the site and price seems very reasonable for the rep.
cheers,
Ged.

bblackwood

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2006, 01:55:38 PM »

Ged Leitch wrote on Mon, 24 April 2006 12:53

Thought so mate, cool, i admit the marketing is a bit weird at times, but as a software guy who has tried alot o' plugs, voxengo really offer some of the best.

I'm certain some people have mis-read me over the years, but I can't stand those stupid smilies...

Quote:

BTW Brad, i know I asked this ages ago, but which Pendulum do you use for comp? is it the ES-8? checked it out last night on the site and price seems very reasonable for the rep.

OCL-2 here. Tried the ES-8 and thought it had a similar vibe to the STC-8, but preferred the STC-8 overall...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Ged Leitch

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2006, 02:04:34 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Mon, 24 April 2006 18:55

Ged Leitch wrote on Mon, 24 April 2006 12:53

I'm certain some people have mis-read me over the years, but I can't stand those stupid smilies...

Quote:

OCL-2 here. Tried the ES-8 and thought it had a similar vibe to the STC-8, but preferred the STC-8 overall...

Ah, OCL-2, i'm definitley in the mindset of purchasing a quality outboard comp, money is tight, but would go for either the obligatory Manley vari mu or ...the pendulum range, i have heard the manley sounds "dark?" or aggresive?
Was wondering how the OCL2 affects the sound? would you say transparent? or like it says in one of their ad's, it gives instant "glue"?

totally generalised answer welcome!...

bblackwood

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2006, 02:19:51 PM »

The OCL-2 is great, very clean but has some very nice character to it. Able to add a little snap a ix and is actually useful in 'fast' mode as well. Great addition to the STC-8...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Pingu

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2006, 05:36:25 PM »

Ged Leitch wrote on Tue, 25 April 2006 01:53

bblackwood wrote on Mon, 24 April 2006 18:18

Shocked

Please be joking???

I don't use smilies, but I hoped that the sarcasm would be obvious...

cheers,
Ged.

I didnt know for sure in that 1.

I was leaning towards sarcasm.

I dont like the smilys any more.

If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

Ged Leitch

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2006, 06:28:19 PM »

mcsnare wrote on Thu, 20 April 2006 01:55

I use the MB in the Quantum on almost everything. It's a great d'esser. I use it a lot to smooth the 2-4K range. I'm always trying to make stuff sound more analog smooth and tape really buffs this area, so I find I can get a bit of that analogness with all digitaly recorded mixes if I take a little fast peak energy out in this range. If you set it just right, it'll take the edge off vocals and guitars without taking the snap off the drums. Another favorite of mine is to use the low band as an expander below say 60 HZ or so
Dave McNair

Dave, that is something i've just recently managed to get good results from, it definitley can smooth out a track that needs to be  made pretty loud but gets harsh at that level without the said technique.

Are you talking about a band pass filter set in the upper mids or is at a hi pass/shelf band?

Im using a bandpass @ 2 - 8Khz...

cerberus

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2006, 08:00:14 PM »

jfrigo wrote on Wed, 19 April 2006 02:58

Having three bands where you only use gain reduction in a narrow upper-mid band and leave the others alone (1:1) is basically de-essing (adding M/S to the party can be good for de-essing too). You can also use it to...

i did notice that...

jfrigo wrote on Wed, 19 April 2006 02:58

It gives users enough rope to hang themelves,

yup.

Viitalahde wrote on Wed, 19 April 2006 04:01

Too many knobs!

that is about the ui, not the sound...but yes, time is money.

jtr wrote on Wed, 19 April 2006 11:00

I'm just not that comfortable with it.

nice, you are honest. i think it's human to reject what makes one uncomfortable.

jtr wrote on Wed, 19 April 2006 11:00

A friend of mine uses it all the time and he is VERY good with it.

to put this in perspective...it's so much discussion that the tc-6000 port to tdm is "md3" and not "md4"... it's obvious there is demand for more bands not less; and it's from professionals who work in some of the  best-equipped studios.

ammitsboel wrote on Wed, 19 April 2006 19:12

I don't like multiband compression, but I also don't like EQ and compression.
...though a little bit might be useful sometimes, but then again it might not be after all.
As a child I remember being puzzled about why so many records sounded so unnatural. Today I know the reason why and I haven't disgusted it more than I do now...

you mean because  multiband was common in broadcast...?

jeff dinces

Alécio Costa - Brazil

« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2006, 09:13:15 PM »

In my opinion the multiband plugin fever started due to many users employing Pro Tools, Nuendo, Logic, etc as a daw for recording, mixing and .. mastering themselves.
The multiband plugins out there are not that bad ( MAster X, MD4, MC2000, LinPhMB).
However, it is not as easy to find a single band plugin compressor that can do a reasonable job for "junior mastering".
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

Glenn Bucci

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2006, 09:05:35 AM »

Al

astroshack

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2006, 10:01:38 AM »

I use the TC MD3 (with Powercore Firewire) and the Precision Multiband from UA (with UAD1 card).
I mostly use MD3 for limiting (natch) and M/S EQ work, but also quite like the tape simulation.
When I want to use specific multiband, I use the UA version in parallel compression mode, tweaking the multiband into the mix as needed. I use it for control of specific problems. It also works well as a de-esser.
General rule for me is multiband only gets used for control of problems. For similar reasons, I also sometimes use the Dynamic EQ which comes with Powercore Firewire.    

Sean
Sean Diggins
The Tone Room

mcsnare

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2006, 01:52:53 PM »

Yeah, Ged. Band #3 bandpass tuned anywhere from around 1.8-3K on the bottom to 4.5-6K on the top. Usually auto release and hard knee. Ratios vary. It all depends on what is happening with the mix.
Dave

Ged Leitch

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2006, 10:42:55 PM »

mcsnare wrote on Sat, 27 May 2006 18:52

Yeah, Ged. Band #3 bandpass tuned anywhere from around 1.8-3K on the bottom to 4.5-6K on the top. Usually auto release and hard knee. Ratios vary. It all depends on what is happening with the mix.
Dave

Thanks Dave for the reply,

yeh i found it easy to go overboard at first but am getting better at restraing myself now...

cheers,
Ged.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up