R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Feline friends in the studio  (Read 20052 times)

ted nightshade

Re: Feline friends in the studio
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 09:15:21 PM »

Great absinthe cat picture!

I'm very lucky to have a cooperative studio cat.

He never disturbs anything, can be trusted around mics,
and will let you know when the mix is just right.

The cat has seriously affected my recording work-

I think if all mixes had to be cat-approved they'd
be a lot easier on human ears too...
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?

Wayne Kirkwood

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 10:54:17 PM »

Wire chewing: If your cat is past the teething stage I'd make sure that it's getting proper minerals. When animals start to chew on metal and other wierd things it's called "cribbing." Sometimes it's a mineral deficiency. Other times it's an OCD disorder.

j.hall

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 01:30:56 PM »

a piece of rack gear left my room that was lower in the rack.  my cat was quick to figure out he could climb back there and have a very secluded, quiet, and warm place for an afternoon nap that my 2 year old couldn't find him.

imagine my reaction when i went to tweak a compressor and had a pair of eyes looking at me through the dark hole in the rack.

this is the same cat that at 3 months of age he knocked over a beer of mine and was lapping it up off the carpet as fast as he could until i heard something strange, looked down and lept up to clean up the mess.  notice i didn't punish him.......beer drinking is strongly encouraged in my house.

amorris

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 01:57:43 PM »

cats love flying faders. a total riot you have to try it!!

Greg Norman

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 04:49:25 PM »

electrical wrote on Tue, 18 April 2006 02:41

We keep the cats away from the studios and performance spaces. They are only allowed in the lounge and other "public" spaces. We can even remove them entirely if a client wishes, though nobody ever has.

Steve may not remember, but people have requested that in the past, and we've removed them for a period.
Unfortunately, Steve does not believe that people can be allergic to cats.   I am sensitive to this, because I am allergic to cats.  The common areas are usually kept clean enough to not bother me though.    

CHANCE

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 01:49:09 PM »

I too have a couple of cats. They are not allowed in the studio. I have had clients alergic to cats, have a reaction. Even tho the cats never go in the studio, and clients still react, I purchase a cheap ionic air purifier and that did the trick. An added perk was the now lack of dust on the CRT monitor as well as the console.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

john abney

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2006, 11:00:40 PM »

I couldn't find any info using a quick google search, but I seem to recall reading some comments that suggested that ionic purifiers and delicate electronics gear may not get along that well. It could  be that I'm mis-remembering, but the stories I (think I) read were sufficiently scary to cause me to not get an ionic purifier.

best,

john
some new jabney & mccarthy songs coming soon to thecodes.net

CHANCE

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2006, 09:21:19 PM »

john abney wrote on Thu, 11 May 2006 20:00

I couldn't find any info using a quick google search, but I seem to recall reading some comments that suggested that ionic purifiers and delicate electronics gear may not get along that well. It could  be that I'm mis-remembering, but the stories I (think I) read were sufficiently scary to cause me to not get an ionic purifier.

best,

john

I've had one in the tracking room, one in the CR, and 3 at home now for several years with no problems. Keep in mind, the ones I have are not weapons grade, they are the "Pure air" brand name and are somewhere between $50 and $75 each
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

Joe Crawford

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2006, 10:11:00 AM »

john abney wrote on Thu, 11 May 2006 23:00

best,

john

Many of the ionic type generate a good bit of ozone which reacts with (neutralizes) odors and makes the air smell slightly sweet.  I don’t know if you have noticed, but that expensive one they have been pushing on TV (something like ‘5 easy payments of $69.95’) came out with a new version a few months ago that contained a catalytic converter to remove the ozone.  I seriously doubt if they did that as strictly a marketing ploy.

Anyway, ozone is great for removing smells, oxidizing mildew in damp places, rusting iron and steel, corroding up electrical contacts, etc.  It will even ‘rot-out’ your carpet and cushion covers if they are exposed long enough.  It’s probably OK to use one occasionally for a couple of days, but I wouldn’t recommend using one continuously in a studio.

Joe Crawford
Stony Mountain Studio
Shanks, WV 26761

twonky

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006, 03:51:47 PM »

How this animal can sleep on eq knobs and faders for hours, is beyond me.

index.php/fa/2859/0/

Ronny

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006, 05:14:48 PM »

twonky wrote on Tue, 23 May 2006 15:51

How this animal can sleep on eq knobs and faders for hours, is beyond me.

It's all that built up cat hair stuck in the fader grooves, it makes for a soft bed.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------