R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird Pedal Tricks with Tool's Adam Jones  (Read 12608 times)

PlasticMoonRain

Weird Pedal Tricks with Tool's Adam Jones
« on: April 12, 2006, 12:25:33 PM »

Hey all:

Just reading the Guitar World cover interview with Tool's Adam Jones and he talks about this wild pedal his engineer made for their new album. It sounded so crazy, I figured you'd all get a kick out of it.

Jones talks about how he has this Gig-FX Chopper pedal he had worked on so he could go from a clean sound to tremolo and control the tremolo speed as well. The pedal let him slow it down and speed it up.

Jones tells his engineer that he wished he could do this with ANY pedal. So the dude does his thing and comes back with what looks like a wah pedal, but you plug your other pedals into it. It blends between your clean sound and the pedal effect, so you can fade in the effect gradually, "like a breath," instead of clicking the pedal on.

Drew
White Castle Studios North
Scarsdale, NY 10583

"Buy'em By The Sack!"

max cooper

Re: Weird Pedal Tricks with Tool's Adam Jones
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 02:21:19 PM »

Hey, nice trick.

I always wondered how hard it would be to take a standard pedal, like a phase shifter and connect, say, the speed parameter to a rocker pedal.

I figured I could just take out the potentiometer and put it in a surplus wah wah and connect it to the board; maybe use a 1/4" so it could be disconnected for transport.
I'm infinitely baffled.

Bodrio

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 05:30:05 PM »

Some multiple effects units like Boss Gt 5 include that feature.
With the expression pedal you can control the speed of the phaser, depth of chorus, eq, delay feedback, amount of distortion, etc.
-

slicraider

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 07:19:40 PM »

In the 70's Electro Harmonix made a pedal like a wah with a coiled spring attached to a pot with a thumb screw on the other end . You could remove any knob from another pedal and hook this bad boy up!

Rick Slater
NYC

Ronny

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 10:33:36 PM »

Bodrio wrote on Wed, 12 April 2006 17:30

Some multiple effects units like Boss Gt 5 include that feature.
With the expression pedal you can control the speed of the phaser, depth of chorus, eq, delay feedback, amount of distortion, etc.

That's correct, 10 years ago Ibanez PT5, Boss ME5, Zoom 4040, Digitech RP series and several other guitar processors had parameter value assignable expession pedals. Nothing new and it's quite commonplace now a days on the pedalboards in the $200 and up range.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

maxim

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 07:00:20 AM »

ronny wrote:

"Ibanez PT5, Boss ME5, Zoom 4040, Digitech RP series"

now, if only any of them actually sounded any good

Ronny

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 02:57:49 PM »

maxim wrote on Thu, 13 April 2006 07:00

ronny wrote:

"Ibanez PT5, Boss ME5, Zoom 4040, Digitech RP series"

now, if only any of them actually sounded any good

Seldom do any of the guitar fx processors sound good out of the box, the factory pre-sets typically suck, however they can sound quite good when they are in the hands of somebody that knows how to tweak a sound in.

The same can be said of mp3's, many amateurs out there that know nothing of audio, making mp3's. They give mp3's a bad reputation, however an experienced person that encodes from high-res to low compression ratio and knows how to eq for the medium can get much better results and often much more acceptable to the ear, than the amateur encoder with mp3's or the amateur guitar fx tweaker gets by using factory presets that were written by a designer that's never heard your environment, amp or what type of guitar you are using.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------