R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rankus' Budget Production Tips: Start to finish.  (Read 13162 times)

Funk-O-Meter

Re: Rankus' Budget Production Tips: Start to finish.
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2006, 01:09:46 AM »

and the word is?????

///holding breath

rankus

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2006, 10:03:09 PM »

LOL I've almost forgotten about this thread!  

I talked to Trish today, and she says the CD release party is next week (Wed)  and they expect to have the CD's back from the duplicators on Monday.... So I will get a CD from her and run off an MP3 by (hopefully) next Friday Sept. 29th.... Fingers crossed.
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Funk-O-Meter

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2006, 02:54:05 PM »

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

rankus

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2006, 09:18:03 PM »

OK, sorry for the long delay....

The new band name is "Tripping West"

index.php/fa/3542/0/

And you can listen to the long awaited MP3 :

http://www.hellfirerecords.com/Clark%20Drive%20Studios/Tripp ing%20West/Tripping%20West%20-%20Make%20Me.mp3

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

James Duncan

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2006, 09:51:23 PM »

The production sounds great! Nice job!!! Smile

Now I have to go back and read the rest of the thread to remember how you made the dang thing!!!
James Duncan

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

Fibes

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2006, 03:43:20 PM »

Sticky removed.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

rankus

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2006, 04:15:45 PM »

Many thanks to Harvey and Fibes for hosting this mess  Very Happy

James Duncan

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2006, 10:45:35 AM »

Hey Rick:

I really like the acoustic guitar sound you got for the track that you posted.

Do you remember anything about how it was tracked?

And the electric guitars sound pretty good considering they are JCM2000's!!!
James Duncan

Napoleon Bonaparte

rankus

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2006, 04:27:07 PM »

Hey James.

IIRC the acoustic was a cheap $600 something or other... perhaps a low end fender... I mic'd it with a Rode NT 2000 in the usual spot: just where the neck meets the body pointing slightly towards the hole.   I also took a direct cuz the guitar had one... I'll bet the mix was about 75% DI and 25% mic..

Then... My secret weapon on acoustics in the mix is the BBE Sonic Maximizer plug that everybody hates LOL

Thanks on the electric guitars... I don't know why our JCM2000 sounds good but it just does...  All knobs in the 12 o'clock position ... pretty much every time. LOL  (Mic'd with Royer 121 though, so that probably is the main reason)

James Duncan

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2006, 07:35:04 AM »

Thanks for that Rick...

Back to the acoustic...

How far away from the guitar do you use as your starting point?

How do you approach carving a sonic niche for the guitar in a dense mix like that? It sounds great!

The reason I am asking all of this is that I seem to be able to get a fairly decent acoustic sound when it is the main instrument, but in a dense mix, I am not thrilled with the sound I am getting. Yours sounds really nice and I would love some advice.

I tend to do stereo acoustics... x/y or m/s with SDCs (KM184s or AKG c451s). Getting them to cut through a dense mix is difficult. On the last session, I added an LDC (U87) which helped add some body, but I am still searching...

Thanks for taking the time to do all of this!
James Duncan

Napoleon Bonaparte

rankus

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2006, 02:08:35 PM »

I'm flattered James!  

I think there are several things at play here. First, I use and always have used, the Left Center Right panning method that Terry and William endorse.  This gets everything out of the way and leaves a hole between the right (or left) and center images where we can slip things, like that tricky acoustic guitar or other hard to hear things.... So I would suspect the guitar is panned into "no mans land" as Terry calls it.

Then,  The acoustic gtr is EQ'd to death.  I completely remove ALL bottom end using a high pass filter as high as I can stand it. (Possibly as high as 250hz).  Then as I mentioned I use the BBE Sonic Maximizer to boost the high end harmonics to make it even more tinny... Then on top of that I recall boosting at 3k on the EQ as well... If you listen to the acoustic track on it's own it is completely top end and tinny as hell... sounds horrible actually.. But in the mix your brain actually fills in the bottom end, and/or the other instruments like bass guitar hold it up...  Same with the electric guitars on this track in fact (high passed at approx 200hz)....

You don't need too much bottom end on the guitars in a track like this..  let the low end instruments have the bottom, the mid instruments have the mids, the high ones the high end etc.

I will usually "EQ at the amp" knowing that I will carve later anyway.

As for mic placement... I never worry about that too much... I live by an old rule that you put a mic up and if doesn't sound bad don't move it around trying to find a "sweet spot" just roll with it... (If it sounds good leave it alone)  I rarely sweat mic positions... But that said I suppose the mic was about 12 inches out from the guitar, and at about the 12th fret, as high from the floor as the neck itself, looking at the hole.

So it's a combination of several things... but if I had to put my finger on only one it would be the BBE plug, and rolling off the bottom...

A little chorus for "shimmer" won't hurt either... If things "move"  a little this helps cut as well.

PS:  I would lose the stereo micing if mixing into a rock song.. Takes too much real estate. If I go for stereo I will pan the DI to one side and the mic to the other sometimes as well.  Blumlien works well for solo performance too.  But  usually mono for rock songs.

James Duncan

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2006, 07:52:21 AM »

Thanks, makes sense... especially the stereo miking thing.

I am probably panning hard L/R on those mics, and losing them in a dense mix.

I do tend to roll off a lot of low end (maybe not as much as you do!), and a bit of chorus is wonderful. Lately, I have been using the UAD-1 Dimension D emulation on acoustics. Very subtle, and very cool!

The BBE thing... man... not sure if I want to go down that road!!! But I do actually own it! I bought it about 5 years ago when it first came out as a DX plugin, and never really got on with it. I haven't installed it on the last couple of PC builds, but I have seen the CD recently. I'll dig it out and give it a whirl if you promise not to tell anyone!!! Wink

Thanks again!
James Duncan

Napoleon Bonaparte

rankus

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2006, 01:02:54 PM »

NOTE I edited my post above.... I do NOT high pass as high as 500hz... Bad memory issues over here.. It's more like about 250hz high pass on acoustics in a dense mix...  Embarassed

JAMES:   The BBE is not that bad if you only crank it to about "2".  Above that it's a tad brash (to put it mildly)

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.