R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black Lion Mod or...  (Read 3021 times)

dobster

Black Lion Mod or...
« on: November 22, 2006, 01:09:29 PM »

looking around, these BL mod's have been the talk of the town, so I wanted to ask everybody, out of curiosity, how they'd feel about the mod's in comparascent to other alternatives.

So let's say you have the option of modding a Motu 192, which is on their list, and along with the mod you get a high quality 3rd party clock since BL doesn;t do the clock on the 192 and keep all that just under $3k give or take. Would you go with that or with getting a set of converters that alone cost $3k or more like mytek, aurora, apogee, etc?

i think its an important question because it seems to investigate whether or not the BL mod's are a nice "poor man's" alternative only, meaning, since you dont have the dough,it can theoretically only get better or are they inherently great mod's that can compete with the big boys?

Fibes

Re: Black Lion Mod or...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 02:11:00 PM »

The MOTU 192 internal clocking works fine without a mod.

No it's not (insert expensive A/D D/A) but a nicer external clock doesn't make a hill of beans IMO.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

dobster

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 02:18:35 PM »

hi fibes, thanks for the response...
some of my pro audio friends, black lion, and even some experts on this forum talk about the importance of a good clock. even for the mod, a change of clock can improve the conversion quality, i'm told.

so if the clock is indeed important than if somebody is set on being comfortable with spending up to 3k, does it make more sense to get the mod'ed 192 with a quality external clock or just directly buy one of those higher end converters priced about 3k give or take.

NelsonL

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 05:11:51 PM »

I have a BLA modded 002r, I think it sounds great and that the BLA clock circuit is a big part of that equation. But the stock 002r doesn't have nearly the same rep as the HD192.

I would encourage you to talk to Matt at BLA-- ask him why he doesn't offer a clock revision for the HD192. The answer may inform your purchase.

malice

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 03:34:21 PM »

I would really like a bit of feedback with those who did the mod with the motu 192.

a tad more definition is the only thing I wish.

I kinda like my 192s. But I have Lavrys as well, so the comparison is a bit tough to handle.

Anyone care to share experience with bla on 192 ?

malice

PookyNMR

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 11:50:21 AM »

Read Chuck Zwicky's comments on this mod in the old Lavry forum.......
Nathan Rousu

John Ivan

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 01:34:44 AM »

Hi Dobster,

I wish I knew more about your rig. If I had the 192's I would leave them alone as I think they sound pretty damn good.  If I had 3 grand to spend, I would look at mic's, working on the room acoustically or if you have a cheaper console {I don't know what you have} maybe a couple channel's of great pre .

It's just my opinion but there's nothing comparatively wrong with it's clock.. Spend money on the source end first if your converters are that good..

My 2 cents

Ivan.............................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

dobster

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 05:33:52 PM »

Thank you John for your input as well. I'm going to mull my options over...thanks for everybody's help
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.