R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I wish that Chris didn't mention clipping the convertors...  (Read 11426 times)

Gravity 8058

Re: I wish that Chris didn't mention clipping the convertors...
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2006, 03:51:19 PM »

Limiter (L2) Output Ceiling:  we've just read some saying .01 and others saying .3?????  That's a big difference.  Anyone care to guess which setting is more common:  .3 or .03?

Andy Krehm

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2006, 05:35:13 PM »

Gravity 8058 wrote on Sat, 08 April 2006 15:51

Limiter (L2) Output Ceiling:  we've just read some saying .01 and others saying .3?????  That's a big difference.  Anyone care to guess which setting is more common:  .3 or .03?

I think you are referring to my post.

I have observed these diffterent output ceiling, via Spectrafoo, but didn't mean they were all created by an L2.

As far as I know, the L2 outceiling is measured in 10th of a db, so .1/.2/.3 & .4 are commonly found on CDs. I have seen only one CD where the mastering engineer has set the ceiling at .01 which I presume is .01/10?

I don't own a limiter that can do that so I can't tell you what created it. Maybe someone can tell us?

Also,  I'm not sure why you think the difference between .1 and .01 db's is a "big difference". There is so much more that goes into making a master loud than that very subtle difference. Perhaps this tiny difference matters in iTunes or when using cheap converters? I have my doubts but don't know the answer.

Andy

Silverbirch Productions.

Bob Boyd

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2006, 06:44:12 PM »

There are limiters that can do that but another possible reason is overshoot/intersample peaks where you have SRC after limiting.  In this case even if the limiter is set to -0.3dBFS, you will see a higher peak value.

If anyone is tempted to print beyond -0.3, let me assure you, you don't end up with a hotter record, just one that sounds even more limited on cheaper systems.  I have an inexpensive M-Audio interface wired in that I can compare to my reference D/A converter and it's amazing how differently they handle level.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

max cooper

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2006, 11:43:03 PM »

NoWo wrote on Fri, 07 April 2006 15:51

I also clipped a M-Audio audiophile without any problem.

We can add this to the list of oxymorons, right?
I'm infinitely baffled.

NoWo

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2006, 02:44:04 AM »

max cooper wrote on Sun, 09 April 2006 04:43

NoWo wrote on Fri, 07 April 2006 15:51

I also clipped a M-Audio audiophile without any problem.

We can add this to the list of oxymorons, right?

Why?
Have you tried it?
BTW it was just a test if it could be done.

Best wishes

Norbert

AndreasN

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2006, 06:57:38 AM »

Am with Ronny on this. Let people clip and limit and compress and use any means they want. This is typically done on modern no-dynamic music with very few peaks anyway. These treatements where primarily made for excessive dynamics. Lifting the bottom and working at various depths of dynamics would almost always serve such music better. Trashing the peaks only will sound like manure. That ought to help serve the future existense of ME's!

A lot of people experiment with mastering. Once they get so far that they have a release with a budget, they usually start to listen more intently. All the time spent tracking and mixing gives a more intimate relationship to sound. What was acceptable on the zero budget demo will hopefully not be tolerated on the final release.

PS. Digital clipping is so yesterday. Try this instead: All passive Analog clipper! Forget transient calm, this little piece of black magic will effectively exorcise any Zen from the music. It's sold as a DIY project which includes four sillycone diodes, but exludes resistors, XLR connectors and chassy. Don't miss out on the real analog deal!

Gravity 8058

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2006, 11:33:43 PM »

AndreasN wrote on Sun, 09 April 2006 05:57

PS. Digital clipping is so yesterday. Try this instead: All passive Analog clipper! Forget transient calm, this little piece of black magic will effectively exorcise any Zen from the music. It's sold as a DIY project which includes four sillycone diodes, but exludes resistors, XLR connectors and chassy. Don't miss out on the real analog deal!

Sounds like you're describing the Prism OverKillers.  

http://www.mercenaryaudio.com/prsoovkibali.html

These get it loud but dont sound great.  IMO
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.