R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Branded digital stream?  (Read 2276 times)

Romy The Cat

Branded digital stream?
« on: April 06, 2006, 12:29:30 PM »

I wonder what is so special about the digital stream that Lavry Gold 122 ADC outputs. I very much like this ADC (well it is the best performing AD that ever heard), however here is the interesting thing: why it’s output works so fine only with Lavry Gold DAC?  (Both Gold 122 and Gold 924 with this own internal clocks)

I leave aside all this speculation about jitters, shmitters and the rest abracadabra. A ADC outputs a stream that is PRESUMABLY generically-digital. I assume that any good DAC taking from there should produce a good result. But none of the DACs that I did try to run from the Lavry Gold ADC did not produce the result that I needed. (Means the absolutely identical sound via analog souse vs. the seriesly connected ADC-DAC)

So, what is the deal? The Gold DAC is not a universally “best” DAC as I have seen that in other different applications some other DACs were more advantageous. Dose it means that the digital streams that our digital sources output have anything else then juts a generically-digital stream? Dose anything in the Gold 122’s output is specially convention to the Gold 924?

Rgs,
Romy the Cat

Jon Hodgson

Re: Branded digital stream?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 08:04:04 PM »

Romy The Cat wrote on Thu, 06 April 2006 17:29

I wonder what is so special about the digital stream that Lavry Gold 122 ADC outputs. I very much like this ADC (well it is the best performing AD that ever heard), however here is the interesting thing: why it’s output works so fine only with Lavry Gold DAC?  (Both Gold 122 and Gold 924 with this own internal clocks)

I leave aside all this speculation about jitters, shmitters and the rest abracadabra. A ADC outputs a stream that is PRESUMABLY generically-digital. I assume that any good DAC taking from there should produce a good result. But none of the DACs that I did try to run from the Lavry Gold ADC did not produce the result that I needed. (Means the absolutely identical sound via analog souse vs. the seriesly connected ADC-DAC)

So, what is the deal? The Gold DAC is not a universally “best” DAC as I have seen that in other different applications some other DACs were more advantageous. Dose it means that the digital streams that our digital sources output have anything else then juts a generically-digital stream? Dose anything in the Gold 122’s output is specially convention to the Gold 924?

Rgs,
Romy the Cat

Well, whilst you could theoretically use AES to transmit some form of "branded" signal (it's just a serial data stream after all, Dolby AC3 5.1 Channel will fit down it for example), it would be fairly useless in most cases because your DAW wouldn't know what to do with it.

So I'm going to make an educated guess here and say that I doubt Dan had done anything unusual in this area.

If the combination of Gold ADC and Gold DAC do work particularly well together then I would suggest a couple of possibilities.

1) The analogue sections of the ADC and DAC are designed as a matched pair... however Dan's approach generally seems to be one of achieving maximum linearity and transparancy, so I would not usually expect this approach from him... which leads me on to

2) The other DACS you have tried are actually inferior to the Gold in terms of linearity, noise and frequency response, the fact that they sounded better in certain circumstances being down to their imperfections being subjectively preferable with the inputs you gave them and what they were being fed into.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 19 queries.