R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Neumann TLM 49  (Read 65173 times)

studio1117

Re: New Neumann TLM 49
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2008, 01:36:36 AM »

Well contrary to the NNH group (Normal Neumann Haters) that are found in these threads. I happen to think that the TLM49 is a fantastic mic.
 Often you will read threads where people mention all these cheaper mics that are so much better. It just ain't so. The capsules are still well built, the grill is the same design as the M49/M50 range and is well built also. It's just a much better built better sounding mic than the ones some of the others have mentioned.
 Just so as we can avoid the typical response to all my posts dealing with Neuamnn...YES I AM A NEUMANN DEALER. That affects my opinion in no way on this mic. I bought mine before I was a dealer and have dug it all along.
 I don't think I need to state the obvious that "to each his own" but for me, I really, really dig it. (BTW I own about 20-25 vintage Neumann's)
 I don't look at this mic the way some others do. I never expected it to replace an M49. I just expected it to be a good little mic, which it is.
   As for uses, I've mic'd up acoustics, rooms, vocals & a harp and have liked it on all.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2008, 02:59:07 AM »

If Neumann ... scratch that ... Sennheiser would design a new mic that I liked, I'd not hate it.  

I know this much: Tthere were many applications for which I found the TLM49 not so good.  It was OK on some vocals, hated it on OH, hated it on piano, it was not bad on acoustic and electric.  I'd be shocked if you thought it was a better mic than the TS2, honestly.  Better looking perhaps.  Not better sounding.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Tomas Danko

« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2008, 08:17:01 AM »

So far I find the TLM49 to be the least useful microphone among the TLM models, it's disappointed me in several ways everytime I've used the one here in our studio. One should not even compare it to, say, the TLM193 or TLM170 etc.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

maarvold

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2008, 11:03:27 AM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 05:17

So far I find the TLM49 to be the least useful microphone among the TLM models, it's disappointed me in several ways everytime I've used the one here in our studio. One should not even compare it to, say, the TLM193 or TLM170 etc.

The TLM170/193  represent the misunderstood part of the Neumann line.  These mics are designed to be 'reality' microphones, not 'color' microphones.  Neumann doesn't even bother to display the 170 at trade shows any more--at least not the last 2 I went to (the most recent being NAB/Las Vegas earlier this year).  As one of the people staffing the booth told me, "people don't want reality, people want a microphone with 'tits and ass'."  IMO, the place you're more likely to find the next classic microphone is from a boutique mic maker, not from a company that has balance sheets, monthly sales goals, marketing strategies, etc.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

J.J. Blair

« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2008, 11:21:30 AM »

Oh, I know ... the Bock 195.  Doesn't have that "feature" of the TLM49, where it shelves off everything below 1kHz, unless you engage the low cut switch.  That built in low cut on the TLM 49 is something I don't care for.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Tomas Danko

« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2008, 12:01:38 PM »

maarvold wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 16:03

Tomas Danko wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 05:17

The TLM170/193  represent the misunderstood part of the Neumann line.  These mics are designed to be 'reality' microphones, not 'color' microphones.  Neumann doesn't even bother to display the 170 at trade shows any more--at least not the last 2 I went to (the most recent being NAB/Las Vegas earlier this year).  As one of the people staffing the booth told me, "people don't want reality, people want a microphone with 'tits and ass'."  IMO, the place you're more likely to find the next classic microphone is from a boutique mic maker, not from a company that has balance sheets, monthly sales goals, marketing strategies, etc.  

I agree. They are not trying to be anything they aren't, and we've recorded a lot of material with those. They don't seem to hold up very well though, we've had lots of problems with a bunch of them.

FWIW, they were being used for the VO in the computer game Battlefield: Bad Company released last week. (It's scored the best computer game audio ever, so far)
For a current project that had more up-close and intimate VO they lost out to the Rode K2 however.

That would be my two cents regarding the question "what less expensive microphones are better than the TLM49?", then.

Again,

TLM193 and TLM170 = good and very useable.
TLM103 = boring and overpriced but useable.
TLM49 = unpleasant surprises after the recording sessions and even more overpriced.

And yes, I have been using these microphones a lot and I'm not a "Neumann Hater".

But when I record music I'd take even a new U87ai over the TLM's any day.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.