R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Neumann KM88  (Read 19857 times)

Stephen Andrew Bright

Re: Neumann KM88
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 04:22:49 PM »

Thanks, Klaus:

I tested it with voice/headphones and switching polarity, and the back capsule has slightly nicer bass. I have heard that capsules can lose some bass response after 40 years of use, and I thought the front capsule in cardioid probably got more use than the back one in Fig. 8, hence the reduced bass response. I thought if one could easily switch them I could use the back capsule for cardioid, and they would be perfectly balanced again in about another 20 or so years.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Stephen

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 05:31:18 PM »

"slightly nicer bass' fall into the category of "Neumann's nickel membrane tolerance".

The nickel membranes stray quite a bit from sample to sample, and what you describe appears acceptable and quite normal.

No, you cannot reverse these capsules. It is very difficult and treacherous to do, even for those who do that kind of thing for a living.

I would only undertake this job if the front side was really objectionable in timbre.

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Steve Hudson

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 10:50:56 PM »

One of my three KM88s recently exhibited lower output on the rear in fig 8 than the front and Neumann fixed it by replacing a single cap. Not sure if you mic has the same problem. Feel free to PM me if you want to compare your mic with the ones I have, Stephen. We just got a restored 1923 Steinway grand at the studio  and I'm looking forward to recording it with my matched pair of 88s.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 19 queries.