R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Woofer ready to leave this world...  (Read 3220 times)

Nid

Woofer ready to leave this world...
« on: April 03, 2006, 08:43:56 PM »

Hi! This is a quick one. So, there is a Trace Elliot 4x12" cab driven by an Ampeg head. A bass guitar rig used mostly in studio rehearsals. It's about a month or more now that one of the woofers produces distortion. You know, that kind of crackle like a square wave has been fed to it. It is tricky because at first you think it is just a usual cabinet's groan caused by a loose screw or something. By my xp, there is some anomaly with the coil not moving properly inside the magnet, am I right? We turned and placed the driver 180degrees so that the magnet "is hanging" the opposite as it did all these years. The phenomenon diminished a little but after a few days grew bigger. Now we are pretty sure that the woofer is slowly dying. I am asking for people with greater xp in speakers to tell:
1) what can lead to this problem?
2) is there a way to fix it before the woofer dies?
3) is it a threat for the amp? (using that speaker)

Thank you and best regards. Nid

Fletcher

Re: Woofer ready to leave this world...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 08:32:00 AM »

I'd say it's probably time to buck up the $75- and get the driver reconed... but that's an idle supposition.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Nid

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 12:58:20 PM »

thanx! That means there is no way to cure the driver without reconing?

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 02:17:57 PM »

Not that I know of... but I've been wrong many [MANY!!] times before.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Buzz

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 03:24:21 PM »

Nid from my expirience thats the voice coil scraping along the guide/magnet , ITS DEAD replace or recone it , or remove it and the cab will become ported !!!!

( you might want to try this it makes a hugh difference in the sound of the cab maybe good maybe bad ?? )

LAter
BUzz

Tidewater

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 01:34:52 AM »

Yes, sounds like a coil problem: replace speaker.

Push in on the cone, evenly. Do you feel scraping?

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

Nid

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 02:44:09 AM »

Actually no, there isn't any obvious scraping when moving the cone. We took the dust cover off and there was visually no problem (as far as I am aware of). No contact between coil and magnet. Also, the coil looks neat, not darkened by overheating. Still the speaker makes distortion with any source fed to it (bass guitar, LF test tones, music) and we tested with another amp too. So we are after reconing or replacement. But I fear that we won't find a new one. It's a Celestion C10T-80 (it reads "Custom made for Trace Elliot"). The cab is actually 4x10" and not 4x12" as I wrote in the first post. Any info will be helpful. Thanx! take care

max cooper

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 05:45:53 PM »

One of the first things I'd do if the state of the driver is still in question, is to put an Ohm meter across it.

A "blown" driver can show as either no resistance or infinite resistance.

If the driver shows up on the meter as somewhere close to it's resistance rating, then you can start checking other stuff.
I'm infinitely baffled.

Nid

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 08:06:47 PM »

Yes this is the first thing I did. Resistance looks fine. Tomorrow we'll get the speaker to an expert for reconing. Hope he does a good job and revive the driver without changing its sonic qualities too much. Any valueable info he may give, I will share it with you. Thanx to all.

danickstr

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 07:53:42 PM »

if you run into trouble with the reconing, you could try madisound.com (no affiliation w.me Smile ) since they have a big list of speakers that are the best available replacements for many types of cabinets and this way you get a factory made speaker that should have more consistent tolerances, as well as better specs (although many purists will want my head for suggesting this approach).

ugh its a celestion...ok forget what i said if you want the true vintage blah blah but for other apps it is a valid approach.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

amorris

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 11:36:56 AM »

recone obviously but if you are sure that it is not rubbing on any side even a little, you can look for torn or seperated components. if it is the speaker you will find it. take speaker out of cab and make it fail. can you touch the speaker when it is failing and make it go away mostly?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.