R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom pair Chandler LTD-2  (Read 9809 times)

zmix

Custom pair Chandler LTD-2
« on: April 03, 2006, 01:16:42 PM »

NOTE: These are not for sale at the moment..!!

Everyone knows how popular the Original LTD-2 is in the mastering world, but here is a chance to own a custom pair that are actually useful in a real world mastering environment...

"....what the hell does he mean by that?" you are probably asking...

OK, ok... does anybody realize that , unlike the Neve 2254 the stock LTD-2 has a single, fixed ratio of 6:1? I've used 2254s for decades and never used a ratio that steep.

This pair have been modified to allow three ratios to be selected: 1.5:1 - 3:1 - 6:1 ...

Secondly, the stock LTD-2 has adjustable attack and release times, but nothing even close to the instantaneous attack of the 2254 in 'LIMIT" mode. This pair have been modified to include a seventh position in the attack and the release control to allow extremely fast attack and release times, but unlike the Chandler 'mastering' TC mods, these are are not added at the expense of the existing time constants, but are a special addition to those, so there is no compromise at all....

Mint condition with power supply and special braided DC power cables. $3000 ono

index.php/fa/2614/0/

Chandler says:

The Chandler Limited LTD-2 is a hand-wired 2254/2264/33609 that has been handmade using parts and build techniques from the original manufacture of the modules. Grounding, wiring techniques, original transformers, transistors, and much more attribute to the special sound of these units and have been painstakingly recreated in each LTD-2. We even make our chassis to resemble the old modules- highly polished plated steel.

The LTD-2 uses the control circuit from the family of compressors, but retains the Class A amps and transformers from the the 2254 and 1073 modules. We add a six position attack switch which none of the vintage types had, and speed up the release times, which makes the units much more versitile. Warm and creamy and valuable in many situations!
List Price $1580 USD without power supply

steve parker

Re: Custom pair Chandler LTD-2
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 02:23:56 PM »

my amps been modified to go to 11!
other amps only go to 10...

sorry!

Wink

Bob Boyd

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 03:45:14 PM »

Who did the mods?  I talked with Wade Chandler a couple of times last year about various elements on the LTD-2 - a ratio control being one of the things we discussed.  He said the unit is between 4:1 and 4.5:1 and changing the ratio (or making it adjustable) would change the time constants.

Did Wade make these adjustments?

With the "mastering mod" (the factory option), the release goes down to 25ms at it's fastest (and adds a detented makeup gain).  That's pretty fast in any book.  The 50us attack time hasn't left me wanting anything faster.  How does your "7th" position compare?
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

Gravity 8058

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 08:09:27 PM »

Does the normal Mastering Modded version of the unit have a single ratio (dont see a switch to choose)  If so what is the ratio?  Anyone care to comment on the sound or technique with these?  Looks interesting.  What attack and release times are you all using most often?  How transparent is the makeup gain?

Bob Boyd

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 08:39:33 PM »

It's a fixed ratio of between 4:1 and 4.5:1 as I mentioned above.

As far as the makeup gain, it definitely has a color to it as you gain it up.  It's a great sounding box though.  Not for everything but just right for some material.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

Adam Dempsey

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 12:28:32 AM »

The TG1 was on my wish list for a while but now lovin' the Chandler LTD-2 mastering versions.

I can't imagine needing attack faster than 50u sec. And with 4-4.5:1 on a decent mix you'd most often want to only just tickle the gain reduction.

Or is there a degree of direct signal ouput, akin to parallel comp, (I suspect not! but have suspected such on some other models to increase the unit's overall transparency?   Of course that is pure speculation, based only on the sound I recognise from some units, such as ones built for cassette mastering I spent years using).

The tube comps were custom jobs (ratio variable with input level, detector several dB down @ 100Hz, 2 comp and 2 limit modes, faster attack for HF, non-linear release) but, yes, a nice, clean solid state unit with greater repeatable control is often just the ticket.
Adam Dempsey
Jack the Bear's Deluxe Mastering
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

Add presence, or subtract absence?

zmix

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 01:51:17 AM »

I'll attempt to  answer these questions and put an end to the misinformation as best I can.

The stock LTD-2 is set to a 6:1 ratio. Period. Wade knows this...
The schematic of the 2254 shows the resistor pairs used to set the ratios. The Chandler uses the values that give what Neve call 6:1

I measured the ratio on the stock LTD-2 and it was in fact 6:1

Changing the ratio will not affect the time constants.(unless you are referring to dbx nomenclature of "dB per mSec" in which case the amount of reduction is scaled against time, in which case ALL compressors change their "time constants" depending on gain reduction.)

To allow the additional ratios of 1.5:1 and 3:1 I added a 3 position toggle in the place of the 'Link' switch (to the left of the meters. Shown below in the middle position:
index.php/fa/2622/0/

The Link switch on the stock unit simply disconnected the single wire connected to pin 3 of the XLR 'Link' socket in the back of the chassis. I would recommend that these link sockets be brought up on a patchbay if you need to link or unlink the units.

zmix

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 01:54:57 AM »

As I said, I have much experience with the 2254 and so I was a bit perplexed that there was no setting where I couldn't hear the stock LTD-2 'working'.

The fast attack and release times were the first mod. I found that the overshoot - evem at the  so called "50uS" setting was unmusical and way too pokey. However, in the modded version I find that the fast attack and release times, combined with the low ratio allow the most subtle 'glue' to be added.index.php/fa/2623/0/

lowland

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 03:58:26 AM »

Interesting, though I'm happy with the way my standard mastering version LTD-2s perform in the work I do.

Surely the ratio used is somewhat academic as the nature of a soft knee gain curve means that the ratio stiffens with an increase in gain reduction? In my case it's unusual to see the GR meters anything other than barely moving (I compress by ear, not eye) and that does it for me most of the time. As in the pictures my meters aren't legended, but I don't think I've ever needed to go beyond the first division of the scale. That being the case I'd imagine the ratio used is pretty low - actually, I don't especially care what it is because whatever those magic boxes are doing sounds good to me!

If anyone's interested, typical start point here with pop and rock would be fastest release and slowish attack, tweak to taste.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

zmix

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 01:32:16 PM »

Lowland,
If you are happy now, you will be exstatic with a lower ratio. The knee on the LTD gets very steep very quickly as the threshold is exceded, and at 6:1 you start to notice the 'grab' even with one line of meter deflection.

Perhaps I should post some audio files. It's so much better.

-CZ

lowland

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 06:40:52 AM »

zmix wrote on Tue, 04 April 2006 18:32

Perhaps I should post some audio files. It's so much better.

Please do, I'd like to hear them - I assume you probably can't post here because of file size restrictions, but a link to an FTP server or similar would make interesting listening.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

zmix

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 10:17:54 AM »

Sale pending. I have an offer of $2750.

djwaudio

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 08:48:12 PM »

I'm looking at having Wade brew up a pair of LTD-2s for me. He mentioned a couple of options that mastering engineers tend to go for.

Faster release times (and faster attacks if need be)
A faster version of the auto setting
A high pass filter on the side chain

Anyone who is using the boxes, do you have these alterations? Are you finding use for them? If you had to do it all over again how would they be set up?

I ask, instead of just getting a demo because he has to make them up to order. Best to get it right the first time!

Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

Bob Boyd

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 09:18:28 PM »

I'm currently talking to Wade about fixing the ratio at 2:1 on mine.

Waiting to hear back on a price and timeframe.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

djwaudio

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 02:10:09 AM »

Bob Boyd wrote on Mon, 08 January 2007 18:18

I'm currently talking to Wade about fixing the ratio at 2:1 on mine.

Waiting to hear back on a price and timeframe.

Wade mentioned something about the ratio. I think it is tied into the time constants in such a way that it changes more than just the ratio.

Bob, do you have the faster release times on yours?
Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.