R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ibis or NSEQ-2 as the only EQ for my acoustic music ?  (Read 1232 times)

Ivo

Ibis or NSEQ-2 as the only EQ for my acoustic music ?
« on: April 06, 2006, 05:57:53 AM »

Sold my Millennia Origins and want to replace them with standalone EQ and comp. For compressor I already ordered Pendulum OCL-2. Now I am meditating about Ibis (I was offered a great deal for it) and Millennia NSEQ-2. Could Ibis be called soft, euphonic and transparent too ? Suitable for my gentle acoustic music ? Or is it rather towards the "heavy" side ?
I would not think of Ibis at all (a bit costly), but got an incredible deal offer for a price like NSEQ
Ivo

VELVET MASTERING
www.velvetmastering.com

SAVITA MUSIC
www.savita.cz

bblackwood

Re: Ibis or NSEQ-2 as the only EQ for my acoustic music ?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 07:35:13 AM »

Hrmm, I love the Ibis, but I would not call it 'soft', at least not on the top end. For acoustic stuff, I think the Millennia would probably be your best bet for a primary EQ.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Ivo

Re: Ibis or NSEQ-2 as the only EQ for my acoustic music ?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 07:49:48 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Thu, 06 April 2006 13:35

Hrmm, I love the Ibis, but I would not call it 'soft', at least not on the top end. For acoustic stuff, I think the Millennia would probably be your best bet for a primary EQ.

The question is what we mean by "soft"
Smile

My primary use of this EQ is to "sweeten" the final mix (be it powerful ethnic drums, a song, some "spheric music" with flutes, violins, guitar, voices etc.), to give it the pleasant analogue shine and warmth ... to make it less flat and digital(but not to print some specific colour in all cases).

My usual practice is just to add a bit of bottom and high end and perhaps to cut the mids a bit ...

I normally do not use the HW EQ for tracking or mixing ... I try to record all my instruments as I want them to sound straight away ...

I used NSEQ (on my Origins) for that ocassionally, it sounds nice, but sometimes I felt, it is a bit too "impersonal", like a high end digital EQ (sorry for a blasphemy) ....

I have never found a good use for Millennia EQ (and compressor) for ethnic drums and other rather dynamic stuff ...  Good plugins (Voxengo, URS etc.) seemed to make a better job in such cases ...

Anyway, I will have the opprotunity to try Ibis next week...
Ivo

VELVET MASTERING
www.velvetmastering.com

SAVITA MUSIC
www.savita.cz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.