R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I ruined someone's CD to make it loud...  (Read 10577 times)

Will Russell

Today I ruined someone's CD to make it loud...
« on: March 31, 2006, 03:41:16 PM »

Well, I did it. I mastered someone's CD today and made it so loud that I can't stand to listen to it. I was paid to take perfectly good mixes and ruin them.

The client was working with me, and despite my attempt to educate them, demonstrating the effects of compression and limiting on the transients of kick and snare, and despite the fact that they heard the difference and preferred the less compressed sound, they felt compelled to make their CD as loud as the (really bad sounding) competition out of fear. Fear of losing their first big shot at "making it" because their CD was not as loud as everyone else. "I can't afford to be the first one to break the trend" my client said.

So, how do we stop this insanity? How do we convince a client to agree to more responsible levels? I am so depressed and angry right now I could scream...
Will Russell
Electric Wilburland Studio
http://www.wilburland.com

NoWo

Re: Today I ruined someone's CD to make it loud...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 04:02:23 PM »

Will Russell wrote on Fri, 31 March 2006 21:41

Well, I did it. ... I am so depressed and angry right now I could scream...

Why?

We are all paid to do exactly what a customer wants ( Does this remind you of the oldest job in the world -:))) ).

Loud is not naturally bad.

The pitty thing is, if someone will tell your customer that his loud CD is overcompressed and sounds nasty this will come back to you. The good thing is you have his money, and in the end this is what counts.

Best wishes

Norbert

Will Russell

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 04:19:19 PM »

Hi Norbert,

I think you may have missed my point. Of course loud is not naturally bad,
but I do believe that loudness at the expense of fidelity is a crime. I believe that when a client prefers a less compressed mix but feels compelled to compromise the sound they want in order to compete in the loudness wars that something is horrible wrong.

Sure, we are all simply service providers and I agree that if the clients leaves with what they asked for and pays up that my job is done, but getting paid is not all that matters to me.
Will Russell
Electric Wilburland Studio
http://www.wilburland.com

Arf! Mastering

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 04:37:56 PM »

What amazes me about all this is just *how* bad stuff is sounding.    Fallout Boy's new release, and countless others, make Britney Spears' 2003 release seem like conservative audiophile high fidelity by comparison.   The industry has gone from bad sound to worse - much worse.  What if food tasted this bad?  What if magazine pictures looked this ugly?  What is it about music that lets it survive such abuse?  Music - the new battered wife.
“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer

NoWo

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 04:42:30 PM »

Will Russell wrote on Fri, 31 March 2006 22:19

... but getting paid is not all that matters to me.

...and it is not for me either. I understand you completely, maybe I am even more extreme like you. Customers who book me made their first mistake, because from that moment on I will follow them forever with newer and better versions of what I did originally, even if it has already been released. Isn

Oldfart

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 05:33:06 PM »

Hey Will,
     my heart goes out to you, as most of us have been there.

These days one of my 1st question to a client is : "what's your priority? Sound quality or volume?"  (then I quote someone who I forget penned) "Pick one, cause you ain't going to have both."

But I'm seeing signs of encouragements lately. Two of my latest clients have chosen the quieter versions (upon hearing the result of exceeding what I proposed).

I've only ever lost 2 from my complaining !!!!!

Another line of mine these days is: "Hey I can ruin your sound just as well as anyone else".

Oldfart

Denis Paquette

jtr

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 06:08:42 PM »

AlanS wrote on Fri, 31 March 2006 13:37

The industry has gone from bad sound to worse - much worse.  What if food tasted this bad?  What if magazine pictures looked this ugly?  What is it about music that lets it survive such abuse?  

Most of the chain restaurants I've been in oversalt their food ...way beyond reason. Turn on the Food Network and watch Emeril splash handfuls of salt over the dish being prepared.

As for magazines, the general news magazines DO look that ugly.

I'm not helping here , am I?

Good songs will always survive somehow, no matter what we do to them.  

Pingu

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 08:37:56 PM »

Dont feel too bad man.

Its not your fault.
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 08:57:13 PM »

I did a saxophone mastering job last month. It was really nice. The client said it was jazz when I mastered it. Then he decided what he really wanted it to be was "R&B" and had me smash the sh!t out of it until the peak to average levels were HIP HOP in nature.  I had him listen to it while I was "making it loud" and he kept wanting more and more level. Then he was not happy that it lost all its dynamic range. "I wanted it LOUD not smashed". The original mastering I did sounds GREAT! (IMHO) but after smashing it at the client's insistence it does not sound good to my ears. Who's fault is it. Not mine I did what the client wanted both times. Not the musician, says he, I want it to be loud but not smashed, not me says the producer I had no say in the matter.

Oh well the joys of the current focus on LOUD IS BEAUTIFUL no matter what it sounds like.

Recently a client played me some MP3s of his material and said he wanted the mastering to sound just like that on the CD. Ok so I will take his material, make MP3s out of them, playback the resultant files and it record them onto a wave file and burn it on the CD. If that is what he wants that's what he will get.

The dumbing down of the sound of American Music. The sound of MP3s as a preference for a CD release. I am wondering what that will sound like when someone makes it into an MP3?

I did listen to some really good bluegrass today by a Grammy wining artist that will be coming in for mastering in the coming months and the first words out of his mouth. "I don't want this smashed or over compressed" -YES-
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

brett

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 09:47:14 PM »

the mp3 question is the real question. no one buys CD's. The inductry in the 80's wanted better sound than cassette, We got CD. Then they wanted free and were willing to give up fidelity... we got napster and gnutella networks. Then the industry suid napstaer and the result was iTunes and new legal Napster. The customers have horible ears!!!! they want it loud, and they want it new. They wont be listening to it a month from now anyway. Even Apple's lossless compression sounds like crap. I have downloaded tracks from itunes and they sound terrible compared to the CD versions or vinyl I used to own. So, if it is the radio and the ipod that people are listening to, it really doesn't matter how good you can make it sound on your $10k speakers. It's going to get broadcast on the radio, which sonically sucks, and downloaded via mp3 or equivilant to some dumb kids ipod.

Take their money and laugh about it until we all have true hi-band width internet and HD radio and playback systems.

dcollins

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 10:51:53 PM »

brett wrote on Fri, 31 March 2006 18:47

Even Apple's lossless compression sounds like crap.

Not sure I'm getting this.

DC

MASSIVE Mastering

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 02:09:06 AM »

Quote:

Well, I did it. I mastered someone's CD today and made it so loud that I can't stand to listen to it. I was paid to take perfectly good mixes and ruin them.

I hate to say that most of us could probably have typed that same sentence in the last week.   Shocked
John Scrip
Massive Mastering - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA

Catalin Truta

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 06:25:50 AM »

AlanS wrote on Sat, 01 April 2006 00:37

The industry has gone from bad sound to worse - much worse.  What if food tasted this bad?  What if magazine pictures looked this ugly?  What is it about music that lets it survive such abuse?  Music - the new battered wife.

They do. The food is crap (chemicals and all that) and the pictures (an everything in the visual area) are far beyond what one could call art.
And the music is on the same route, unfortunately. But I sincerely believe it can still be saved...
There are some people who are still doing art (David Hykes is one of them, but there are others; of course this kind of music is very different from the usual stuff being discussed here).
Even the term "industry" has nothing to do wih art.

dino g

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 08:27:11 AM »

The references to food and photography hit real close to home with me.
I'm a lighting cameraman and audio guy, and most of my family is in the culinary industry.
The loudness war in music, certainly seems to come from the same mentality that accepts
lousy food and ugly pictures. In thirty plus years, I have been witness to a de-evolution of my craft into a quick and dirty, disposable medium. The correlation with audio mastering in my industry is the idea that people believe they can run out with a cheap video camera, shoot a couple of things under available fluorescent lighting, and hand it to an editor to make it look professional. Sorta sounds familiar don't it?
This all didn't happen over night. It's like hearing loss, happening over a long time, little bit by little bit. Once gone it's gone forever. When I'm told that there isn't time to do something I have always done, I know another tool has been taken away.

At the same time, my brothers Neapolitan Pizza place, which offers a hand made product using only  premium imported ingredients and meats from local organic farmers, has been packed since the day it opened. Even though it's quite pricey. It's all about what people your targeting. My brother has a perfect location, and a high income clientele who appreciate the superiority of his product. In the music industry,  fifteen year olds are the leading demographic, and unless their expectations change, it's only going to be more of the same.

I was recently asked by a young producer, why I needed a light meter.
#%$$&*#$!!!!!
dean

Andy Krehm

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 04:56:48 PM »

Will Russell wrote on Fri, 31 March 2006 15:41

Will:

I certainly understand your angst over this but let's not forget in all this that there are ways to make tracks louder without totally compromising the dynamics. And my comments are meant to be general b/c I don't know what gear you have available to you.

Myself, I cannot seem to find a way to do this well with an all digital setup and my digital tools consist of great gear such as 2 Weiss units, TC 6000, K-unit, etc., but I am able to get some competitively loud masters, with decent dynamics, by using some good tube gear in combination with the outboard digital units.

The trick here is to get your signal gain staged up through some analog gear, sometimes using the functions, ie, compressing/eq, sometimes not, or sometimes just a bit, and hitting the ADC with the signal almost as loud as the final master. I use an analog peak limiter before the ADC and a digital limiter afterward, but just a bit.

If you've been following the Ted Jenson post on Gearslutz, another technique is to clip the ADC. And as is continually pointed out on all the mastering webboards, the quality of the mix can make the job easy or really, really hard and sometimes, just impossible.

I absolutely cannot get the same results with my digital  chain, but perhaps that's just my engineering shortcomings.

So, IMO, if one is running a mostly plug-in mastering set up, one is not going to have the flexibility to match the engineers that have a full pallet of gear to chose from. Maybe some of the time you can do a great job, but not consistently with a lot of different material.

Perhaps one day the computer power and modeling will be good enough to replace all our great outboard gear but until that day arrives, there is a reason why top of the line mastering houses have suspiciously similar gear lists, not to mention very experienced ME's!

Because of the work I do and people I work with, I have had the opportunity to hear mixes/masters, before and after, of  a number of ME's including a few really good ones, such as Ted Jensen and Doug Sax, and you would be surprised how much louder they made the masters and with very little significant change of dynamics.

While I share Bob Katz's sentiment re the volume escalation to some degree, I'm in agreement with Brad Blackwood, Dave Collins, etc., in that we really have to give the customer what they want. We can offer options but proselytizing to clients will limit your work opportunities!

In the case of the Ted master, there was absolutely no instruction from the producer or the record company (a Major) to make the masters loud yet Ted's was significantly louder than the average modern master. I know because my friend/client gave me a copy in case I wanted to try mastering it before he sent me Ted's final version. In the case of the Doug album master, which was a combination of pop and retro swing music , he was told that it didn't have to be a loud master but it came back quite loud!

And here's another good one. Ted was told that his mix was going to be a radio single and that the rest of the album wasn't mixed yet. So, since we have read and visually seen what the Orban radio compressors do to hypercompressed masters, and given that Ted probably has probably mastered as many radio hits as anyone, why would he go out of his way to make this radio master so loud? Is concern for loud masters on radio an urban or Orban myth?

Every master of mine that I have heard on the radio has sounded good so I have no explanations. The only thing I would say is that I have noticed that some radio stations uniformly sound more compressed and distorted than others (in which case everyone's masters sound degraded) but some seem to know how to handle modern masters well enough.

There is an AM sports station in Toronto that is playing a couple of jingles that I mastered and I am very pleased with the way they sound. I didn't try to make it the loudest one on the block but I set the output level so that is would fit in with other music that I have heard on that station. Would you believe that the station requested mp3 files! I made the highest possible quality mp3 files and it still sounds good but I guess we have to keep in mind that it's AM radio. Anyone else have comments or observations that would explain any of this???

Andy,

Silverbirch Productions.

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 05:21:18 PM »

I've been viewing TJ produced CD's as waveforms in a DAW for years. Its a bit of fun viewing the waveform as I listen to it and through my own skill backwards engineer what he's doing.

Recently his waveforms changed in a general kind of way. I think he has moved on from just clipping the ADC.

Chris Athens may have given it up, but not perhaps, the whole story.

Look guys, you just land that sucker where 'you' think it sounds awesome. TJ has been at it for like 30 years and he's not even fifty.

Build it and they will come.

bab

Ben F

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 12:47:25 AM »

brett wrote on Sat, 01 April 2006 12:17

the mp3 question is the real question. no one buys CD's. The inductry in the 80's wanted better sound than cassette, We got CD. Then they wanted free and were willing to give up fidelity... we got napster and gnutella networks. Then the industry suid napstaer and the result was iTunes and new legal Napster. The customers have horible ears!!!! they want it loud, and they want it new. They wont be listening to it a month from now anyway. Even Apple's lossless compression sounds like crap. I have downloaded tracks from itunes and they sound terrible compared to the CD versions or vinyl I used to own. So, if it is the radio and the ipod that people are listening to, it really doesn't matter how good you can make it sound on your $10k speakers. It's going to get broadcast on the radio, which sonically sucks, and downloaded via mp3 or equivilant to some dumb kids ipod.

Take their money and laugh about it until we all have true hi-band width internet and HD radio and playback systems.

I still buy CDs, and vinyl, it must sell otherwise record companies would cease to exist.

What about the smart kids with ipods?

Bobro

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 04:11:04 AM »

I was in Los Angeles more than 10 years ago, on the "cleanest day in 35 years". It was remarkable- still hazy, but radically better than when I was there in '70s, with burning eyes and an asthma attack.

On that day I realized that life is full of compromises, but it takes radicals and weirdos to reach happy mediums. Guys chaining themselves to trees, reading the Lord of the Rings and taking it seriously and so on. (Read it again and notice what concrete evil the bad guys actually do). "Back to nature" may never happen, but a lot of hippies made a lot of noise for a long time to make compromised but concrete advances in environmental conditions.

So when it comes to squashing and autotuning and all that, I pull no punches. "What- you like to lick the asses of bully cops?" Because that's really what it's all about- brutal conformity. My aunt described working in the factory under Stalin- "loud repetitive music on loudspeakers all day long". Every time I go to the shopping mall I think of her.   Very Happy

Then I get "Whoa you're actually right, but..." and there's a compromise. But it can take radical stances against the machine to effect even happy mediums.

Go ahead and laugh.  Cool  

-Bobro

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 08:08:29 AM »

Bobro wrote on Mon, 03 April 2006 04:11

I was in Los Angeles more than 10 years ago, on the "cleanest day in 35 years". It was remarkable- still hazy, but radically better than when I was there in '70s, with burning eyes and an asthma attack.

On that day I realized that life is full of compromises, but it takes radicals and weirdos to reach happy mediums. Guys chaining themselves to trees, reading the Lord of the Rings and taking it seriously and so on. (Read it again and notice what concrete evil the bad guys actually do). "Back to nature" may never happen, but a lot of hippies made a lot of noise for a long time to make compromised but concrete advances in environmental conditions.

So when it comes to squashing and autotuning and all that, I pull no punches. "What- you like to lick the asses of bully cops?" Because that's really what it's all about- brutal conformity. My aunt described working in the factory under Stalin- "loud repetitive music on loudspeakers all day long". Every time I go to the shopping mall I think of her.   Very Happy

Then I get "Whoa you're actually right, but..." and there's a compromise. But it can take radical stances against the machine to effect even happy mediums.

-Bobro

????????????????Did this make sense to anyone??????????????????
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

joeaudio

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 01:33:07 PM »

Will Russell wrote on Fri, 31 March 2006 21:41

No disrespect, but from the looks of your site you're not a mastering house.  
There are lots of good sounding records that are "loud".
Takes lots of experience and proper mastering gear
to achieve. (good mix doesn't hurt)
Maybe next time instead of beating yourself up send the client to a mastering studio.

Joe Yannece
Classic Sound Mastering

Roadster

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 02:28:10 PM »

Quote:

So when it comes to squashing and autotuning and all that, I pull no punches. "What- you like to lick the asses of bully cops?" Because that's really what it's all about- brutal conformity. My aunt described working in the factory under Stalin- "loud repetitive music on loudspeakers all day long". Every time I go to the shopping mall I think of her.  

Go ahead and laugh.  

-Bobro

I may drop some acid then come back in around 3 hours and see if this is making sense.  
Rich
Road's End Studio
Musician, Songwriter, Research Technician on Creative Muse

cerberus

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 03:31:04 PM »

joeaudio wrote on Tue, 04 April 2006 13:33

from the looks of your site you're not a mastering house.

i don't think looks are important in mastering.

...although come to think of it, that "i love my avalons" ad from a few years back really made an impression on me too.

ok, now i'm ready for a hit of whatever bobro is smoking.

jeff dinces

joeaudio

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 04:03:28 PM »

cerberus wrote on Tue, 04 April 2006 20:31

...although come to think of it, that "i love my avalons" ad from a few years back really made an impression on me too.

jeff dinces

I'm sure Mr. Russells studio is beautiful, lack of Emilies
lovely lips notwithstanding.
But recording and mixing are different skills
and require different tools than mastering.
I've been involved in audio(professionally) since 1980.
I haven't touched a mic in 15 years.

Joe
Classic

Andy Krehm

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 06:10:42 PM »

joeaudio wrote on Tue, 04 April 2006 16:03

cerberus wrote on Tue, 04 April 2006 20:31

jeff dinces

I'm sure Mr. Russells studio is beautiful, lack of Emilies
lovely lips notwithstanding.
But recording and mixing are different skills
and require different tools than mastering.
I've been involved in audio(professionally) since 1980.
I haven't touched a mic in 15 years.

Joe
Classic

Well said and much more to the point than my multi-paragraph post!

Andy,

Silverbirch Productions

Ronny

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 11:23:22 PM »

Thomas W. Bethel wrote on Mon, 03 April 2006 08:08

Bobro wrote on Mon, 03 April 2006 04:11

-Bobro

????????????????Did this make sense to anyone??????????????????

You had to be there to understand.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------