R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A compressor & noise gate for under $1K  (Read 2448 times)

trebor_zaid

A compressor & noise gate for under $1K
« on: March 30, 2006, 05:06:17 PM »

Hello, I just recently bought a great board and I am getting some awesome sounds. During tracking, I have been running some of my tracks through software compressors. I don't like the useage though. I want an outboard compressor and noise gate that I can feel though touch what I am setting.

Budget is under $1K for each, or if there is an all in one, like some freaky music post-producing HP Wink Also, If I can get a good compressor through a racked mix board module, I can search that too. Oh,....and ease of use is a great plus. I am new to the whole compression/noise gate thing. I have heard that to some engineers, "compression is an art form, and a way of life!" Wink
r

Vertigo

Re: A compressor & noise gate for under $1K
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 07:49:58 PM »

Start with the RNC if you don't have one already. $200 and you'll always find a use for it, even when you do add the high $ comps to your rig.

DAW gates work fine for me, and mute automation takes care of the simple stuff.

-Lance

jetbase

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 08:55:29 PM »

drawmer DS201's are the best analogue gates i've used & should be within your price range. aphex make good gates & compressors which you can get at a good price. i have an aphex easyrider 4 channel compressor which i use all the time. it sounds so much better than other budget compressors, including the rnc, & is very easy to use. i have the matching 4 channel aphex gate, but i find the ds201 much more versatile. you might find, however, that analogue gates are tricky to use. i usually only use them on toms, & even then prefer to get a drum sound where i don't need to gate anything. the better the drummer & drumkit, the easier that is to do.

cheers,
glenn
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

ricknroll

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 03:50:08 PM »

I have a Drawmer DS201 and four Aphex 612s.  The 612 is no longer made, but I prefer it to the more expensive Drawmer.  It's faster than the Drawmer and can be picked up for cheap (between $200 and $300) on eBay.

Rick

Trumpetman2

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 02:09:10 PM »

Don't buy the RNC...I have two and they are awfull.....If you still want them, I'll selll you mine for 100 each!!!! Rolling Eyes

Vertigo

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 02:50:42 PM »

Quote:

Don't buy the RNC...I have two and they are awfull.....If you still want them, I'll selll you mine for 100 each!!!!

Are you joking? If not you've got a buyer Wink

-Lance

Trumpetman2

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 03:11:33 PM »

Vertigo wrote on Mon, 17 April 2006 14:50

Quote:

Don't buy the RNC...I have two and they are awfull.....If you still want them, I'll selll you mine for 100 each!!!!

Are you joking? If not you've got a buyer Wink

-Lance

Lance:  I'm serious.  If you want it (I already sold one) you may have it as stated, and it's relatively new.  PM me.

Very Happy  Claude

Vertigo

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 03:52:24 PM »

Done Smile

So what is it about the RNC you don't like? And what applications were you using it in? I've never heard anyone that thought they were awful - just curious to know.

Personally, I can't get enough of them on a lot of things. I don't care for them at all on drums, but I find them excellent on guitars and vocals.

-Lance

Trumpetman2

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 03:57:05 PM »

I don't like them on trumpet, which is what I mostly do.  I have others like a vintage AudioArts 1200 and even the "lowly" Art VLA has much more character and a hard to define "quality of sound" which is more pleasing to my ears than the RNC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 17 queries.