R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/4" tape is sewing over heads! HELP!  (Read 1537 times)

JPérez

1/4" tape is sewing over heads! HELP!
« on: March 30, 2006, 04:11:13 AM »

Hello .A friend of mine is selling me a cheap 1/4" recorder. Using on home i can see the tape is thrashing on the heads and  motor can't suppot the stress and it stops all the time.
I think another movile parts are ok .The tape is glue on the heads that moments. I cleaned all the heads (Isotopic alcohol). Maybe is a desmanetizer matter?.How much is a desmagnetizer?
Have it a easy solution?
Desmagnetizer-small machine used to remove the magnetic effect on heads (sorry..my basic english)

Thanks in advance!

Juanjo P

John Ivan

Re: 1/4" tape is sewing over heads! HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 04:27:09 AM »

does it make a screeching sound before it all stops? It sounds like you have old tape that is "sticky shedding" How old and what brand and model Tape are you trying to play?

You might need an Oven Surprised
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

JPérez

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 06:10:39 AM »

Sometimes i hear scratching treble sound direct to the tape fisical path . It is a Ampex old tape recorded several times. Maybe the test tape my friend gave me is the problem.

Thanks!

Teddy G.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 01:36:04 PM »

I have had two problems with similar symptoms:

1. The tape is too wide - physically made wrong, won't pass through the machine.

2. Environment too dry(Winter time is worst in my area). Add a humidifier to the tape room(Then make sure it doesn't get too damp!)... Keeping the proper humidity levels in the tape room(Or  the studio or anywhere else) is always well-advised - don't need little static charges from fingers to metal, etc. Of course rusting/corroded equipment is not a good thing, either. A good humidity indicator can be "pricey" but worth it...

Of course the "old tape" problem(If you're not trying to restore some old recording) can be solved with new tape... Your new tape will last alot longer if properly stored humidty and temperature-wise...

TG

CHANCE

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 06:15:22 PM »

What it sounds like to me is that your tape guides are dirty. It's important to clean the entire tape path. ie. rollers,guides, lifters, and heads. I prefer to use denatured alchol over iso. Try putting some iso on a mirror, then put some denatured on a mirror and you will see the res left by the iso, but not the denatured.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

Han S.

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 06:00:26 PM »

Ampex eh? It looks like you suffer from sticky shed. You know what? Go to Eddie's and learn: http://www.tangible-technology.com/tape/baking1.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 19 queries.