R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High End Dynamic Mic??  (Read 3107 times)

Werewolf10

High End Dynamic Mic??
« on: March 29, 2006, 11:40:17 PM »

Hey guys.   I am currently trading around mics about once a month.  I currently have a Groove Tubes MD1-B  (the fet version).  

I was thinking about trading it in for an EV-RE20 or Shure SM7..  I have heard lots of things about these mics being warm, but the "dynamic" part kinda scares me.. I am worried about them not being "detailed" in the high end.. Not "hyped" just detailed.. One of the reasons I want to try a dynamic mic is because of the super hyped high end in all the cheap condensers these days...  Can anyone give me some insight about the high end dynamic mics by EV and Shure..  Would I lose a great deal of high end detail??
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep, and you weep alone. "oldboy"

Dave Martin

Re: High End Dynamic Mic??
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 12:37:28 AM »

YOu might also look at the Sennheiser 441

DigitMus

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 12:41:16 AM »

You do understand that a dynamic will never be as detailed as a condenser, because the mass of the diaphragm & coil (which the sound energy has to move) is an order of magnitude greater than a condenser's diaphragm. Having said that, there are definitely dynamic mics which can sound quite detailed on some sources. The Sennheiser MD441 comes to mind as generally "condenser like" in many situations.  The RE20 can sound fairly detailed on certain voices, but IMO not so much on instruments (i.e. acoustic guitars, percussion).  It really comes down to how much detail you need (and using the appropriate mic for the task). I use a mix of dynamics (both moving coil and ribbon) and condensers on every song I record, and never have a problem with "mud".

Scott

John Ivan

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 12:54:10 AM »

Hi werewolf10,

I had an SM-7 for a while and thought it was quite dark but then used another one and realized something was wrong with mine. {I'm not sure what. A friend has it and likes it's darkness.} The "good" one was GREAT on some vox and I liked it on guitar amps and Floor tom. The top was nice but it didn't Hurt like some condensers.

Ah, Now, the RE-20. This is my favorite mic. My desert Island mic. It can do most anything. The top end is so wonderful and the design alows you to get up very close without a bad proximity effect. {they call this their "variable-D design}.

I have used this mic for male vox and it is very condenser like but I like it better than most condensers because the top end is very pretty. It's great on Kick, vox,sax, banjo,kazoo and everything else.

Did I mention I love this mic? Smile

It's flat and built like a tank. I would gladly do a record with only these and some 57's.{and a pair of omni's Very Happy }

Go Buy a few of them.

JI.......................................................... ..
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

A.J.

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 11:09:52 AM »

John Ivan wrote on Thu, 30 March 2006 00:54

Hi werewolf10,
Ah, Now, the RE-20. This is my favorite mic. My desert Island mic.

I agree. RE-20 is SO versatile. Just a great mic. I don't even own one yet... but a friend of mine has one. She will soon get tired of me borrowing it.

Teddy G.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 01:58:39 PM »

So, if I had to live on a desert island, with just one mic, assuming money WAS some sort of an object, but not so much that I had to settle for "clone crap", they would be -- an RE20 and an AKG 414. I really think I could do a very professional job of recording almost anything on my island.

Wait! That's TWO!!! So be it......

TG

John Ivan

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 02:49:00 PM »

DigitMus wrote on Thu, 30 March 2006 00:41

You do understand that a dynamic will never be as detailed as a condenser, because the mass of the diaphragm & coil (which the sound energy has to move) is an order of magnitude greater than a condenser's diaphragm. Having said that, there are definitely dynamic mics which can sound quite detailed on some sources. The Sennheiser MD441 comes to mind as generally "condenser like" in many situations.  The RE20 can sound fairly detailed on certain voices, but IMO not so much on instruments (i.e. acoustic guitars, percussion).  It really comes down to how much detail you need (and using the appropriate mic for the task). I use a mix of dynamics (both moving coil and ribbon) and condensers on every song I record, and never have a problem with "mud".

Scott

This is true only to a point. Dynamic mics are more expensive to design and build well. The re-20 reveals more detail than some condensers but, again, the RE-20 is an exceptional case.

The thing I like about it is how flat the response is at varying distances from the mic. Also, the off axis spill seems to sound pretty good. A lack of low mid build up is a good reason to own a few of them.

Hey, there is a use for all styles of mics and I do choose small condensers and large too but, if one is going to own one great Dynamic, it sure is hard to beat.

JI..........................................................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

mryan

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 08:24:30 PM »

The Heil Pr 40 is a very good dynamic with very good detail and is better than many of the cheaper condensors out on the market right now.

Marty

Werewolf10

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 06:06:20 AM »

wow, great responses guys Razz     I gather that the EV-RE20 is flat with very little prox. effect.  And the SM7 has a ton of prox. effect. does that mean its more prone to "plosives"?  cause I am a plosive kinda guy.lol  

Also, whats the differance in the mid-range these two mics?  I am getting the picture that the SM7 has a kind of "creamy" mid with A little more colored sound than the EV-RE20???  

My voice has a presence peak around 1K...Or better yet , take a listen to one of my Mp3's and maybe that will give you a better idea of which one would work better ....http://www.danceswithpenguins.com
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep, and you weep alone. "oldboy"

fzfile

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 12:04:12 PM »

The Sennheiser md441 is a freakin KILLER mic. I highly recommend it and will be getting a second used one as soon as I can find one.

Now dont get me wrong as I have had an RE20 for a while and do love it on most things and have heard the SM7 produce some great results but the 441 is just so open and detailed sounding for a dynamic mic.

I agree with Digitmus about the RE20 not being as detailed on instruments .... generally a bit "darker" or veiled sounding on things like guitar cabs and percussion than I normally like... and the output is definitely not what I would call "hot".

In the desert island scenario (one with electricity, a band, and an unlimited supply of Corona's and Umbrella drinks) I would use the RE20 to open cocconuts (and it would still work after getting off the island ...things built like a freakin tank) and use the 441 for all my recording.

-mike
Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank
Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes ! you a woman."
Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that
makes you a table."

compasspnt

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 04:04:49 PM »

The SM7 would not be my desert island mic, for sure.  I tire of it on vocals quickly.  There is what I refer to as a "papery" sound that never goes away.

20's and 441's are indeed nice, but be sure you realise what the pattern is on the 441.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 19 queries.