R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 Bus Compressor across the mix  (Read 1738 times)

Glenn Bucci

2 Bus Compressor across the mix
« on: March 29, 2006, 08:24:37 AM »

These are the 3 popular compressor that I know people use across a bus.
1. Manley MU
2. Pendulum MU
3. Cranesong STC-8

I have not had the opportunity to try them all out and compare them so I wanted to get your opinion on them. Yes they are all great and some will prefer one over the other for personal taste's. But I was wondering if you could share what character you found they gave to mixes.

My limited observations is the Manley MU really smooths things out and adds that analog color to the mix. Some recommend getting the high bypass chain option so it will have more flexiblity in the low end. Most I have talk to say this is the bomb and the unit that is in so many mastering houses.

The Pendulum MU many have said has less color than the Manley but equally helps to gel a mix together.

The STC-8 I was told is the most flexible out of the 3 and now it has become the favorite of many mastering houses.

Your input would be appreciated.

lowland

Re: 2 Bus Compressor across the mix
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 05:26:35 PM »

This is a topic that's been quite well covered here, and you may find that a search of the forum will yield some useful nuggets.

To your list I would add

Chandler LTD-2
I have the mastering versions and love them

Gyraf Gyratec X
I'd like to try this at some point - some people here speak highly of it, could be an alternative to the Manley and is very reasonably priced
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

nmw

Re: 2 Bus Compressor across the mix
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 07:13:26 PM »

i had the manley, pendulum and the thermionic culture in here on tests last year. i wrote a rather detailed review on gearslutz that i'll look for and see if its still about. may be of interest.

i kept the Thermionic culture Phoenix and havent regretted it.
im thinking of adding the chandlers too at some point this year instead of the STC-8 which was on the list. certainly nothing like the vari-mus in the least though a nice option IMHO to work alongside.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 19 queries.