R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: where has everyone gone?  (Read 7451 times)

Roadster

Re: where has everyone gone?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 02:13:33 PM »

Quote:

'If I am not Bob Vila, yet I renovate old houses for a living too... Then he is a pro and I am a semi pro? ... NO .... We are both pro's.... He just has a higher profile....'

Bob Vila is a pro?
Guys like that can polish my axe.... Smile

Rich
Road's End Studio
Musician, Songwriter, Research Technician on Creative Muse

Ronny

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 12:47:33 AM »

Bob Vila is a pro salesman and "maybe" pro contractor, but it's everyone else on his show that gets their hands dirty.

I'll take the Toolbelt Diva any day, besides having a nice bod and a sexy northern accent, she breaks fingernails on her show.  Laughing
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

Roadster

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 08:21:57 PM »

Quote:

Bob Vila is a pro salesman and "maybe" pro contractor, but it's everyone else on his show that gets their hands dirty.

I'll take the Toolbelt Diva any day, besides having a nice bod and a sexy northern accent, she breaks fingernails on her show.  

Very Happy  Don't even get me going about people in the "trades" who consider themselves a "pro". I've had to deal with too many of their screw-ups. I'm talking about getting a book from the library and just doing it myself. Funny! These are the same people that could never get a book from the library and comprehend musical performance, but somehow manage to carve out higher wages than you ever saw playing for a living!!
Rich
Road's End Studio

rankus

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 02:01:11 PM »

Roadster wrote on Tue, 11 April 2006 11:13

Quote:

'If I am not Bob Vila, yet I renovate old houses for a living too... Then he is a pro and I am a semi pro? ... NO .... We are both pro's.... He just has a higher profile....'

Bob Vila is a pro?
Guys like that can polish my axe.... Smile

Yup, that was my point.  Just because you are a household name does not mean you are better (or even as good as) someone you never heard of.

IIRC Mr. Vila got sued by a few home owners that were not impressed that their houses were falling apart after the film crew left ..lOL

TV is filled with no talent hacks like Mr. Vila.
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

John Ivan

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2006, 03:38:51 PM »

Yep. In every Business, there are the folks who prove them selves by doing the work. Period. The work they do speaks for it's self. The "What Ever Works" Forum is a great example of this, as Fibes has pointed out.

There are different "levels" of this too. I'll bet we can all relate in some way to having young up-n-comers asking us questions right in our own back yards. When I had my studio in the back of a music store for a while, it was great because kid's would come in to the store asking about recording gear and working at home and all that, and I remember feeling really good about steering them away from making bad choices here and there and,it brought some work too. It seemed for a while there, that I was running little Seminars back there. Guys would come in with "home tracks" and we would spend time going over how they miced stuff or drum tuning, what ever.I would then record over dub's for them and they would learn a lot. One thing they learned is to know when to call a room for stuff they can't effectively do themselves!

The point is, I find the same thing here with all these great people who REALLY know there stuff and I get to learn FOR FREE and how can ya beat that?

It's a real gift.

JI......................................................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Roadster

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2006, 02:18:35 PM »

Quote:

The point is, I find the same thing here with all these great people who REALLY know there stuff and I get to learn FOR FREE and how can ya beat that?

It's a real gift.

Amen.
Rich
Road's End Studio
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 20 queries.