R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Can anybody play the drums?"  (Read 21887 times)

bushwick

Re: "Can anybody play the drums?"
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2006, 04:49:57 PM »

I have Keith Carlock in again next weekend with some bad mofos and he can play pretty well. Fact is, I have recorded lots of great drummers and plenty of not-so-hot fellas. The answer is, yes, there are plenty of folks who can play quite well and they are almost always working. The trick is getting folks to hire them.

j
Joshua Kessler
bushwick  studio
brooklyn, ny
www.bushwickstudio.com

Bob_Vandiver

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2006, 02:21:55 AM »

Somebody asked if there are any retro bands out there. Check out World Party!

Bob Vandiver

McAllister

« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2006, 09:15:18 AM »

I have a few friends who are top-notch drummers. Some of them even come over and record with me for free.

Yes, I am truly blessed.

And if they can't bring what I feel is needed to the session, this town is filled with otehr guys who can.

Despite hell-ish summers, Austin does have it's benefits.

Quote:

It's hell of fucking lonely to love the music like I do... thanks folks for making it a little less that way.

Welcome to the lifeboat, man.

M
Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.

maxdimario

« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2006, 01:23:50 PM »

the thing I like about keith is he played the kit with his whole body... including his face.... er .. what I mean is he approached every single hit as an event, like he was hitting or slapping somebody or something.

he was good at busting and hitting stuff.

Ali Moniack

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2006, 03:23:57 AM »

If no new rock songs were ever written again, we'd do fine with the existing catalogue.

Bands just don't rock this hard anymore. There are no real rockstars anymore, either. Not that it was good to live a lifestyle like that, but anybody that tries that shit anymore just seems like a pale imitation of bands like the Who, the Stones and Zeppelin, that wrote the book on that. Rock is dead they say. I knew it for a fact when I was seeing McCartney and the security people made everybody stop using their lighters during "Let It Be". 

This is all total rubbish. The good stuff's underground. When the High Numbers became The Who again London was their oyster, it was a different time when rock'nroll innovation WAS pop music, & now innovative, well-played rock'n'roll exists on the fringes of what is acceptable. Back then, in general the standard of playing was better because musicians had to live offa shows. It sucks now but i've had the privelige of working with the two best drummers in my country and these guys are the natural inheritors of the Moon/Bonham legacy, from a school of classic British (exploding) drummers.

As far as hard-hitting rock goes-these things still exist (incuding bands as skilled/fuked up as the who, believe me) but you gotta dig deep. Underground is where it all started, it's still there. If you don't believe me, i'll show you some new hard rockin' shit to prove it. The "Its all been dun" shit don't wash, it's a cop-out. You're missing the action. It's rare but it's out there, don't worry. We just gotta bring it back home. Give it five years.

Don't give up on The Rock!

J.J. Blair

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2006, 03:12:33 PM »

Naaah.  There IS some great stuff out there.  I'm just saying that I don't thinnk we'll ever see it on the level it was at where rock and roll was a life or death high wire act on and off the stage, like in the early '70s.  That's like saying there's another Rat Pack or something.  Sure there's some great rock out there, but there's NOTHING like the Who in their prime on or off the stage.  

Rockstars used to be mythical beings.  Particularly in England, where their status shattered the class system and threatened to pull it down around the establishment's ears.  Rich twenty somethings crashing Bentleys into their swimming pools, destroying hotel rooms, shagging a dozen groupies at a time (sometimes with a mudshark), flying around in private jets, destroying gear on stage and making some of the most enduring music ever.  Where is THAT in this day and age?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

wwittman

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2006, 07:03:28 PM »

Yes, there are still some good bands but rock just isn't IMPORTANT the way it was.

I miss that.

or at least as near as I can remember....
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Roadster

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2006, 09:33:28 PM »

Quote:

NOTHING like the Who in their prime on or off the stage.

Can anybody play the drums?

Apparently Mike Meyers playing Keith Moon in an upcoming movie?

Hollywood is so out of stories.  
Rich
Road's End Studio
Musician, Songwriter, Research Technician on Creative Muse

Ali Moniack

« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2006, 11:29:53 AM »

"there's NOTHING like the Who in their prime on or off the stage."

check out these guys vids. You kinda have to be at the show to get the full effect, but you get the idea from the clips. Heavier than The Who but similar onstage vibe.

http://www.myspace.com/gorilla

They drive to the pub in a milkfloat baby!

J.J. Blair

« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2006, 05:56:30 PM »

I see that Billy Gorilla has stolen some of Pete's moves, as well as the Gibson SG Special.  Points for picking good influences.

From listening to their mp3s and watching their videos though, bands like Mother Superior have the edge, IMO.  But as much as I love Mother Superior, they will be the first to tell you that they don't measure up to the Who or Led Zeppelin in their hey day either.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

PookyNMR

« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2006, 12:50:07 AM »

wwittman wrote on Thu, 06 July 2006 17:03

Yes, there are still some good bands but rock just isn't IMPORTANT the way it was.

I think that's cause rock stars have less 'personality' and less authenticity today.

Nathan Rousu

Ali Moniack

« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2006, 10:03:53 PM »

"But as much as I love Mother Superior, they will be the first to tell you that they don't measure up to the Who or Led Zeppelin in their hey day either. "

Point taken dude, I'm sure Gorilla would say the same thing themselves. There's other bands who arent as directly inspired by the Who (that's far from their only influence), I just mentioned these guys as an obvious comparison, and because they really do rock, no safety net required.

The industry has to take some blame for this stuff as well as musicians, they're not all bad.

David Ballenger

« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2006, 11:36:36 PM »

PookyNMR wrote on Fri, 07 July 2006 23:50

wwittman wrote on Thu, 06 July 2006 17:03

I think that's cause rock stars have less 'personality' and less authenticity today.

I'd agree it all seemed much more flamboyant at other times.  Theatre in Rock.  My knee jerk reaction is to say their is to much emphasis on violent sensationalism acting as true social commentary out there but hey I don't want to get shot.  LOL

I'm predicting that rock music is getting ready to come back in a big way.  All these bands, just the sheer number is mindboggling.  Some of these bands are gonna mature into some really seriously talented acts.  I think things come in waves and there's a big one becoming overdue again.  

Everyone I know is still into music...  and everybody knows what they really buy is what they bought.  And that stretches endless miles back before whatever is the current top 40.  They want GREAT variety as usual.

Scratchy Potts

« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2006, 04:54:17 PM »

Quote:

Somebody asked if there are any retro bands out there. Check out World Party!

Bob Vandiver

Bang!!! Goodbye Jumbo....very good albums ,,, Cool
Robbie Williams covered She`s the one from the Egyptology album IIRC  
If ya cant fight,,,,,,,,,,wear a "Big Hat"!!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 20 queries.