R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: "Can anybody play the drums?"  (Read 21890 times)

mitgong

Re: balls to the wall, brass for the fall
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2006, 10:47:00 AM »

dubrichie wrote on Fri, 07 April 2006 17:23

hey all,

first post here for me and i'm gonna be a brave little brass monkey.

to all of you who proclaim that rock and roll is dead i say bollocks.

it's alive and kicking for people like me.

in fairness, i am 23, so with all due respect, just because you've tired of it now that you're in your 40's doesn't mean that it doesn't still mean the world to someone else.

it is probable that '71 was just about the pinnacle of rock and roll's golden age, but this still remains to be proven unequivocally, which will take many more years than you and perhaps even i will see.

you don't think bands like the kings of leon, the zutons, the white stripes, the muggs, razorlight, the strokes, dfa 1979, etc. have any real rock and roll in them? you don't think it pumps through their veins just as hot as it did yours all those years ago?

well give us pups a break, it's a very different world we're growing up in and trying to give it all up in or haven't you noticed? there's been a lot of shite in the past 25 years that we're trying to scrub away from our impressionable music-making instincts... and how much of that shite might some of you fine old gents have had a hand in producing?

i live in dublin, ireland and there is a healthy rock and roll scene here these days. check out bands like humanzi, the things, the immediate, the mighty stef, the urges and my own current pride and joy the heathens (we're all on myspace btw)

if you think we're all full of shite then shite is what you see and shite is what you hear which is your problem and for shame, you have my deepest sympathies.

rock and fucking roll,

regards,

richie.

(apologies for such a rant on my first post, but rock and roll means a lot to me, more than the rest of what i could do with my life, so that being pissed on by guys in their 40s who've just plain had enough got my balls in a right knot. and it's friday night and pissing rain and i'm too broke to be out in the pub with the lads in the band so what do you expect? YMMV eh?)

You got a floor to sleep on, if you're ever in my town.  http://www.myspace.com/mofos
My name is Matthew Saccuccimorano.  I should be working, but I'm posting this message instead.  I deserve punishment.

dubrichie

Re: balls to the wall, brass for the fall
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2006, 01:55:48 PM »

dig your bad self matt,

i hope to have the opportunity to take you up on that some time and to reciprocate the offer.

i'll add the mofos to the heathens myspace friends thing.

regards,

richie.
"A paradigm of restraint and good taste at a time of frequent excess"

David Ballenger

Re: "Can anybody play the drums?"
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2006, 10:37:00 PM »

Ageism sucks.  Imagine hearing the glee some feel on the fact that you're over the hill.  Maybe someday they'll come for you.  Tell you when you're to old to play or that you're irrelevant.  The walking dead.

People are playing regardless of the manipulations, anyway.  Don't buy into it from wherever you're at.  Just find some people that you can play with and get the joy there.

Roadster

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2006, 02:20:39 PM »

It's always interesting reading threads like this because it tends to remind me that the 60's and 70's, although seemingly a renaissance in music, was in essence the soundtrack of my youth. You need to keep that in mind when you're comparing era's, trends, etc. There will never be anything quite as cool as when you were younger and living the high life so to speak.  
Rich
Road's End Studio
Musician, Songwriter, Research Technician on Creative Muse

David Ballenger

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2006, 03:32:26 PM »

Back to the original post question.  "Can anybody play the drums?"   My drummer is a monster.  If I play any Led Zeppelin song he just drops into any Bonham beat with natural ease.  Anything I would seemingly want to do.  He does more intricacy inside of a groove with ease then most drummers have the ability to get a groove right.  

Although I've been lucky in dealing and playing with lots of great drummers.  Through rehearsal spaces and affiliated recording studios.  Over 500 bands I've dealt with.  Newbies to platinum sellers.  My problem is me.  Self production.  It's a bitch.  Went into it youthfully with grand concepts.  Now I'm beaten down a little bit. Very Happy

It turns out I wasn't as sharp as I'd hoped to be.  

I'm reminded of the book "Old Man and The Sea" by Ernest Hemingway.
Imagine now days with all the cruise ships and the huge industry of trawlers.

I still come back to this one concept though.  1/7 th.  1/7 th is an arbitrary number I've come up to describe what goes on in a production.  I mean you have all the instruments,  drums, bass, guitars, keyboards, vocals, etc. etc.  You have Songwriting, lyrics, vocals, arrangements, orchestration, engineering, business.  So if each band member is 1/4 of the group efforts this adds up to..................................  maths don't fail me now.  

Well it don't add up.  My point is no matter how badass any one musician is in the midst of production it's just a percentange of the overall effort.  Not to trivialize it.  

Now I feel I'm the poster boy for "don't try this kids".    Oh well. I think I meant well.

Rolling Eyes

Brian Kehew

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2006, 07:52:46 PM »

Good thread. Now cyclically back to topic!...

The Who - I see them quite often (dozens of times a year now) from working with them. Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey still "bring it" each night. (Did you see Live 8 or the NYC concert?) They worry about a good performance, they sweat and push to make it exciting and rough each night. They do NOT WANT polish and perfection. Pete often (often) bleeds onstage from playing the guitar so hard, at age 60. How many 20-year-olds do?
Their new music is recorded, I am told it's hard and heavy. Waiting...

I see new music all the time, I crave it. Not much is that good, but sometimes I see things that blow my mind; As good as it gets, whatever IT is. One week ago, I saw the best concert of my life at the Knitting Factory. Several other (old) people said the same thing. And the band was NOT exceptional twice before this year.

It can still happen, it still does. Contribute your part...
Relax and float downstream...

bushwick

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2006, 08:14:12 PM »

For the most part I have been very, very lucky to have some of the best drummers in NYC through here and it really makes the sound come alive. Very similar signal chains on lesser players just don't go as far as they do with great players. The job becomes very easy, to the point of joy.

josh
Joshua Kessler
bushwick  studio
brooklyn, ny
www.bushwickstudio.com

David Ballenger

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2006, 05:45:11 AM »

I did catch a little of Live 8.  It's always great to see the Who.  Look forward to hearing the new album.

Thanks for the positive words, Brian.

Hope is like sunshine.  Makes things grow.

Yeah, Bushwick.  I love to listen to my drummer just play, it's amazing to me to see the kind of coordination that some are capable of.

ted nightshade

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2006, 08:10:32 PM »

I was so moved by all that killer old music, from the best Ellington to the best old-time country to the best Rock and oh yeah the old Rock&Roll too- when I hear Little Richard sing Good Golly Miss Molly, now THAT is SINGING! Fuck yeah!

It changed my life, I spent my whole life making myself worthy of all that, finally accomplished it, and it seems like nobody gives a flying fuck. People are after a million things with music, but very very few of us play like our very souls depend on it, and very few people seem to need that- although the ones that do, and I must be one, need it really bad...

I constantly encounter the attitude about the great old acid rock stuff, "oh yeah, I was really into that when I was a teenager, but I grew out of it."

What's to grow out of?! I don't get it. I wonder if these guys and gals were ever hearing and feeling what I heard and felt. Of course the crap these guys and gals are into now is just worlds safer, more predictable, less passionate, and wouldn't do a damn thing for me on a day when I'm ready to kill myself but I put on "Nothing Left" (Johnny Winter And) and all of a sudden I'm ready to go tear the whole damned world down instead!

I used to write love letters to Jimi Hendrix- nobody else seemed to have any idea what life was about. I had a hell of a time relating to anybody else... but other greats wandered into that zone in a blessed, lucky, once in a lifetime moment.

It's hell of fucking lonely to love the music like I do... thanks folks for making it a little less that way.
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?

J.J. Blair

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2006, 10:55:30 PM »

Ted, welcome back!
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Kurt Foster

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2006, 06:43:11 PM »

Keith Moon played drum like no one else ...and no one ever will! Same as Hendrix. These guys both had a style that will never be duplicated again.

Keith Moon is my personal favorite drummer of all time. I was disappointed when the WHO continued on without Keith. They should have done what Zeppelin did when Bonham passed away and retired the band. That was a class thing to do.

As far as substance abuse ... I have met or seen in my life just a few players who could perform quite well under the influence. I used to work with a steel guitar player (well actually he played just about everything) that did just that. One night we were playing at a club and people kept sending shots for the band. I had to stop after a few and let them stack up on the mains but Barry kept on shooting them down, with no obvious effect. He played and sang perfectly the whole set. When we we were finished, he stood up and fell flat on his face ....

I was on the bus of a very famous star once for several hours prior to a show and observed him drink a fifth of Seagrams 7 and whiff a mountain of coke ... all with seemingly no effect. He went to the stage and played and sang every song perfectly.

Some people can handle it but most can't. Some people have the music so deeply ingrained into their soul, no amount of "medication" can make them flub up or stumble. It's like breathing to them. The mistake a lot of people make is to think they are like that too. Truth is it's the exception, not the norm.

mitgong

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2006, 11:57:06 AM »

Brian Kehew wrote on Sat, 15 April 2006 19:52

One week ago, I saw the best concert of my life at the Knitting Factory. Several other (old) people said the same thing. And the band was NOT exceptional twice before this year.

Do tell, please.
My name is Matthew Saccuccimorano.  I should be working, but I'm posting this message instead.  I deserve punishment.

Brian Kehew

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2006, 10:25:12 PM »

Wow - it's hard to say this without "you hadda be there", but... it's an OLD band called Zolar X. They recently reunited and I've seen several shows. They wear funny suits and have funny voices, but it ROCKS. On this night, it far surpassed their records of the 70s. It was mostly new material. I was with youngish people who KNOW rock history and a few older folks who have "been there". Almost all of us had the same opinion of the show. As good as it gets!
Relax and float downstream...

mitgong

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2006, 02:24:13 PM »

Brian Kehew wrote on Sun, 11 June 2006 22:25

Wow - it's hard to say this without "you hadda be there", but... it's an OLD band called Zolar X. They recently reunited and I've seen several shows. They wear funny suits and have funny voices, but it ROCKS. On this night, it far surpassed their records of the 70s. It was mostly new material. I was with youngish people who KNOW rock history and a few older folks who have "been there". Almost all of us had the same opinion of the show. As good as it gets!

Just did a search.  They are awesome.  Thanks.

Pingu

« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2006, 04:00:16 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 22 March 2006 05:57

Bands just don't rock this hard anymore.  There are no real rockstars anymore, either.  Not that it was good to live a lifestyle like that, but anybody that tries that shit anymore just seems like a pale imitation of bands like the Who, the Stones and Zeppelin, that wrote the book on that.  

Rock is dead they say.  I knew it for a fact when I was seeing McCartney and the security people made everybody stop using their lighters during "Let It Be".  

You summed up how i feel, well.

This is what i miss to.

Another example is Phil Lynot.
Man did he rock out.
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 16 queries.