R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: "Can anybody play the drums?"  (Read 21877 times)

maxdimario

Re: "Can anybody play the drums?"
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 02:45:50 AM »

In those days everybody was used to having to prove themselves and get themselves heard and appreciated.
the fact that the who were really big at the time I don't feel changed much, since they had gained tremendous success in a few years and were still riding on the energy and attitude that they acquired in the early mod days.

there was a lot of competition, a lot of fans, a lot of great artists, huge social movement, and money to burn in certain circles.

nowadays there's little to prove, and the audiences don't react on a spiritual level like they used to... maybe because there isn't any powerful spiritual message to react to...maybe because rock music is now a ...career opportunity?

mitgong

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 05:31:53 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Tue, 21 March 2006 16:57

Bands just don't rock this hard anymore.  

Rock is dead they say.  

I always assume the person who says things like this doesn't go out to clubs anymore, or is going to the wrong clubs.  It's a pain in the ass, and sound sucks, and there are tons of crappy bands etc. etc. but if you just stick it out you'll stumble across the occasional epiphany.  The mainstream is irrelevent to it now, but rock and roll will never die.  

Holy crap I can't believe I just wrote that.
My name is Matthew Saccuccimorano.  I should be working, but I'm posting this message instead.  I deserve punishment.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 06:49:52 PM »

I own part of a night club.  Trust me.  It's dead.  At least this type of rock is.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

wwittman

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 07:06:09 PM »

JJ you don't think bands such as Green Day or Taking Back Sunday have at least elements of that kind of rock?

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

NelsonL

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 07:21:03 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Tue, 28 March 2006 15:49

I own part of a night club.  Trust me.  It's dead.  At least this type of rock is.

In LA? Anywhere we've heard of?

J.J. Blair

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2006, 09:04:26 PM »

William, I'd have to say no to Green Day.  The closest I've seen to anything like that would have been Supergrass a few years ago, but it still lacks the pomp and absurdity that '70s rock had.  Rock stars are just not the mythical creatures they used to be, IMO.  Rock is a just a product to sell now.  I don't hear anything like when I listen to Mad Dogs and Englishmen.  That was music that made you believe in the "power of rock and roll".  Quadraphenia was one of those records, too.  There were others, too.  There's a couple of records recently that have had significant impacts on me, but none that made me believe in rock and roll the way the music of the '70s did.  That rock is indeed dead.  We have imitations.  I know that for sure, as I'm producing one.  But nothing that is as authentic as it was back then.

I'm not going to mention the name of the club, but a lot of bands have played there.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

mitgong

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2006, 10:20:09 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Tue, 28 March 2006 21:04

William, I'd have to say no to Green Day.  The closest I've seen to anything like that would have been Supergrass a few years ago, but it still lacks the pomp and absurdity that '70s rock had.  Rock stars are just not the mythical creatures they used to be, IMO.  Rock is a just a product to sell now.  I don't hear anything like when I listen to Mad Dogs and Englishmen.  That was music that made you believe in the "power of rock and roll".  Quadraphenia was one of those records, too.  There were others, too.  There's a couple of records recently that have had significant impacts on me, but none that made me believe in rock and roll the way the music of the '70s did.  That rock is indeed dead.  We have imitations.  I know that for sure, as I'm producing one.  But nothing that is as authentic as it was back then.

I'm not going to mention the name of the club, but a lot of bands have played there.

I think there is still music out there to make you believe in "the power of rock and roll".  Absolutely.  

I'm close to agreeing with you about the end of pomp and absurdity, but....well....no.  I don't agree.  I think the music is there, and the attitudes are there, but the support structure which actually allowed those bands to manifest their self-deluded grandiosity is gone.  The absurdity and pomp exists, but is certainly self-referential ("School of Rock" practially codifies it, and my kids now accept that as gospel).  So what?  When you're standing next to THE ROCK you know it.

The punk movement was about (among other things) stripping away the pomp to get at the rock it was starting to hide.  
My name is Matthew Saccuccimorano.  I should be working, but I'm posting this message instead.  I deserve punishment.

David Ballenger

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2006, 11:35:36 PM »

I see your posts JJ.  I believe you are a man that has a great taste for great rock.  I got to see a lot of the great classic acts.  Johnny Winter And Live at the Fillmore West.  Led Zeppelin at Kezar Stadium with a new band the Tubes. etc. etc.

I guess I showed my age.  I saw Alice Cooper at the Berkely Community Theatre at the front of the stage.  I was Eighteen and they played "I'm Eigteen".   Great show a classic performance with Alice being hung on stage for his dastardly deeds. Shocked

J.J. Blair

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2006, 01:08:25 AM »

Quote:

I think the music is there, and the attitudes are there, but the support structure which actually allowed those bands to manifest their self-deluded grandiosity is gone.

Well, I think you are right in the last part of what you say there.  Personally, I think rockstars should go back to fucking groupies with Mudsharks.  While we're at it, bring back the Plaster Casters and the Dallas Butter Queen.

As far as saying the music is there, I have one word: 1971.

Let's look at records that came out in 1971:  Zeppelin IV, Fragile, Every Picture Tells a Story, Imagine, Ram, All Things Must Pass,  Tapestry, Sticky Fingers, There's a Riot Goin' On, Just As I Am, What's Goin' On, Santana III, Teaser and the Firecat, and countless more that I can't think of right now.

We are lucky if we get even one record a year that can stand up with those ones.  And '69,'70,'72 and '73 weren't bad years either either.
studio info

mitgong

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2006, 11:22:51 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 29 March 2006 01:08

We are lucky if we get even one record a year that can stand up with those ones.

"On a label" you mean.  On a Label.

Those are great records, and they taught us what rock is.  By definition, anything similar today is derivative, and will get dissed as such.  Damned if it does, and if it doesn't.

Maybe what you're finding lacking lately is a sense of uncalculated joy.  That's always been the essential, often neglected ingredient in Rock n Roll.

PRobb

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 12:35:50 PM »

1971 is one year in a great era, but just look at what was in the top 25 in 1971.

1. Joy To The World, Three Dog Night
2. Maggie May / (Find A) Reason To Believe, Rod Stewart
3. It's Too Late / I Feel The Earth Move, Carole King
9. Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me), Temptations
11. Me And Bobby Mcgee, Janis Joplin
12. Tired Of Being Alone, Al Green
13. Want Ads, Honey Cone
14. Smiling Faces Sometimes, Undisputed Truth
16. You've Got A Friend, James Taylor
17. Mr. Big Stuff, Jean Knight
18. Brown Sugar, Rolling Stones
19. Do You Know What I Mean, Lee Michaels
21. What's Going On, Marvin Gaye
22. Uncle Albert-Admiral Halsey, Paul McCartney
23. Aint No Sunshine, Bill Withers

Look at the range. Al Green and James Taylor. Temptations and Rolling Stones. How many all-time great records are on that list? And that is pop radio. You would have heard all of that on the same station. Yeah- it was a great era.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

J.J. Blair

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 04:35:37 PM »

I forgot another great 1971 record, which is fitting with the topic: Who's Next.

BTW, mitgong, you are partially true.  Most of the good music these days is not coming out on major labels, simply because it excludes having to have an A&R idiot telling you how to make your music.  But one of the other things that makes me say that rock is dead, is taht I'm not hearing the quality of songwriting that you will find from start to finish on the aforementioned albums.
studio info

PRobb

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006, 05:17:51 PM »

Not to belabor the point, but 1971 also had Van Morrison "Tupelo Honey", Black Sabbath "Paranoid", Jethro Tull "Aqualung", Joni Mitchell "Blue", David Bowie "Hunky Dory", Pink Floyd "Meddle" and The Doors "LA Woman".

Not a bad year.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

mitgong

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2006, 05:23:08 PM »

I'm willing to give up on 1971, but not rock and roll.

35 years ago.

vernier

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2006, 07:42:24 PM »

'71 was post Buffalo Springfield and Beatles, among others ...I was bummed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 16 queries.