R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dB-4496 fan  (Read 2780 times)

Andrew Hamilton

dB-4496 fan
« on: March 20, 2006, 10:58:11 PM »

Yes, I'm a fan of the dB-4496 modular series.  But I was actually wondering if such a frame (housing two M*DA 824 and nothing else) could operate safely without the fan running, if the lid is off and the room is air conditioned.

_andrew
www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

zmix

Re: dB-4496 fan
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 10:52:58 AM »

Andrew Hamilton wrote on Mon, 20 March 2006 22:58

Yes, I'm a fan of the dB-4496 modular series....
_andrew

To quote Groucho Marx; "If it gets any hotter, I could use a big fan"

PookyNMR

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 12:28:34 PM »

I'd keep the lid on to protect from dust...

I've got a fully loaded chasis in front of me here and have never had the fan running.  Never noticed a heat issue (not hot to the touch).

IIRC, I was told by the folks at Lavry to not worry about it unless your in a very warm room or the unit is next to other gear that runs hot.  You would be wise to confirm those statments rather than take my word for it.  E-mail the tech support at Lavry.

Fanless,
Nathan Rousu

danlavry

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 01:05:06 PM »

Andrew Hamilton wrote on Tue, 21 March 2006 03:58

Yes, I'm a fan of the dB-4496 modular series.  But I was actually wondering if such a frame (housing two M*DA 824 and nothing else) could operate safely without the fan running, if the lid is off and the room is air conditioned.

_andrew

Hi,

You can operate the unit without a fan, completely loaded (say 8CH AD or 8CH DA or any combination) even at elevated temperatures. The fan was put there for extreme temperatures. I have not yet seen a case where the fan is needed.

Open the lid, look for the fan power connector. It is marked J2, on an L shape board in front of the power supply (red and black wires). Pull the connector out, and you eliminated the fan operation.

Regards
Dan Lavry
www.lavryengineering.com

Andrew Hamilton

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 01:22:07 PM »

Thanks, Dan, et al., for your replies.....

_andrew
www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.