R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Latin-Jazz location recording:  (Read 1710 times)

2db

First Latin-Jazz location recording:
« on: March 18, 2006, 06:26:41 PM »

My First Latin-Jazz location recording:

Red on Red: https://home.comcast.net/~measheys/music/redonred.mp3

Drum OH pair 480 a 421 on kick True 8-pre
Piano pair 414 True 8-pre
Bass 441 on the neck U87 out front Grace-pre
Bass player did not want to use an amp

How would you have mixed this?
Does the mic placement need some adjusting?
Pre amp and mic choice change?

NOTE:
The band sat up close together and the bass player was amp-less so I had trouble bring him up in the mix without the drums coming up as well.

John Ivan

Re: First Latin-Jazz location recording:
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 07:01:25 PM »

Sounds nice. Here's what I'm hearing:

Nothing wrong with the mic's or pre's IMHO. All nice stuff.

I would try something different for mixing. What you have sounds pretty good but I think the Piano is just a bit loud and it sounds like you might have gone after some low end on the bass to get it out there.

Hey, it's gona bleed. So, start the mix with the bass. Get it cookin' nice so we can hear his hand on the finger board. Make it a little brighter {as in, start with no EQ.}

I'm saying I would mix around the bass. get it sounding great. The drums will spill all over it. Fine, make the bleed work. After you dig the bass, get the piano up and going and last,bring the drums up. You will need a little less drums because of the bleed from the bass.

I know it can be a pain in the ass but try to make bleed work in your favor.

My 2 cents.

JI.............
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

John Ivan

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 07:06:43 PM »

Sorry:

I thought I would add, How does the band sound in the room? does the mix come together in the room just with the players mixing themselves? If so, try a pair or even three omni's and move them around until you like it. In some cases, this can be all you need.

Bass players who use no amp at all have to have a killer instrument and real power in their hands. Piano's and drums are pretty damn loud and it ain't easy makin a stand up loud enough with your hands! OUCH Smile
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

2db

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 02:40:43 AM »

^

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I never thought of just placing a couple/three mic's in the room. I still have that newbe mentality, you know, "I got eight channels and I am gonna use 'em."

What mic's and pre's do you guys use on jazz like this?

Embrace the bleed? I guess thats what the old studios use to do when everyone sat in the same room to play. I now have a lot more respect for those old engineers, after this project.

Do you have any set up positions for the 'one room, one band' recording?
ie piano next to the bass ...drums to the piano lid side...?

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 16 queries.