R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best mastering EQ plugin  (Read 11336 times)

Patrik T

Re: Best mastering EQ plugin
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 03:27:45 PM »

I'm no mastering engineer, but lately I have been asked to "de-digitalize" a friends weirdly balanced and really harsh-sounding (1-5 kHz) music.

I found the Voxengo curve eq to be really flexible due to its mid and side options, as much of the harshness was centered in mono. By using two of these in a serie, one for M and the other for S, it was actually really inspiring to establish some kind of balance. Might not be the best way to go, but it worked very well in this case, and allowed some of the "lower air" in the S-band to remain untouched in contrast to just bang one eq over the whole field of information.

The curve eq also feels very clean to my ears in its LP mode, but has the flexibility to add some "funky Shocked " coloring. So, it's really...flexible for people with limited finances.

Pingu

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 07:00:18 AM »

Quote:

Perhaps if you tell us what you use to get what you call nice-high-end-sounding-sizzle we'd know which one u mean Pingu...then we could answer the question.

Or were you simply being facetious? If so, I think it's misplaced in a thread where someone using plug-ins is asking others what they use. It would be most unhelpful to simply post a snobbish comment disregarding all plugs in this context.

I'm sure that wasn't what you were trying to say, was it?

ahem yeah

What lagerfeldt said.
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

Bobro

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2006, 07:23:22 AM »

Pingu wrote on Thu, 23 March 2006 13:52

Are any of the plugs including the Algorithmix eq's capable of adding that nice high end sounding sizzle at 17 k and above.

You know the sizzle i mean.

You mean "air"? "Sizzle" in the high end is a real '80s kind of thing, IMO- that aural exciter kind of sound. The Algorithmx can bring out "air" in a nice way but it has to be there in the first place.

Voxengo has some features that add harmonics in EQs, it sounds "virtual" to my ears but maybe it sounds great to others. But all the Voxengo products I've tried are very good in general.

-Bobro

Tomás Mulcahy

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2006, 11:41:00 AM »

The Sony Oxford is good, but the Massenburg is better. You can keep adding top with out any harshness. Not that I would do that apart from testing- but it shows how good it is. The TC stuff was very good too, you can still get it as a plugin with their card.

robot gigante

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2006, 07:53:04 PM »

I think the high end on the Sony is pretty harsh.  

Better than a lot of plugins but certainly not something I'd want to use to master with.

Out of the options I've used the Massenburg MDW is the only one I'd consider mastering with and even then I would still be much happier with a good analog EQ.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2006, 12:50:35 PM »

I have the Oxford, and I don't mind it for subtractive EQ. I'm so used to the sound of analog EQ though, that it annoys me with it's sterility.  It's great for not introducing phase anomalies like most plug-in EQs, etc., but the lack of character or warmth leaves me cold.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Bob Boyd

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2006, 01:08:33 AM »

So far PSP's Neon is sounding very nice right up until it crashes my computer.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

minister

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2006, 03:56:30 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Sat, 25 March 2006 11:50

I have the Oxford, and I don't mind it for subtractive EQ. I'm so used to the sound of analog EQ though, that it annoys me with it's sterility.  It's great for not introducing phase anomalies like most plug-in EQs, etc., but the lack of character or warmth leaves me cold.  

jj, are you using the different "types" of SONY EQ?  i used to think that until i read the manual.  Razz  i find TYPE 1 harder and TYPE 3 softer and warmer...not a great analogue eq replacement, but certainly better than a lot.  imo.
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

compasspnt

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2006, 11:38:19 PM »

Concerning the Oxford plug-ins, they are so well designed, and for the most part, so deep, that reading the manuals is imperative.  Also, the manuals are extremely well written.

minister

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 12:05:53 AM »

and i learn a hell of a lot from them!  all of them, the dynamics, the limiter one....
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

Ronny

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2006, 12:57:06 AM »

The best mastering eq's are the ones that have the cables that you plug in.   Very Happy
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------