R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to nail it Unattended  (Read 1986 times)

Pingu

How to nail it Unattended
« on: March 24, 2006, 01:33:02 PM »

Hey guys.

So far all of the mastering i do is unattended.

What are some of the questions you ask the clients as you work with their material.

There are so many different flavours you can apply to the song, how do you narrow it down and suite the clients needs.

If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

Ed Littman

Re: How to nail it Unattended
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 02:26:39 PM »

I ask for a commercially released cd as a reference. they have to understand that it most likely wont come out the same way but It's a guide to get started.
Ed

carlsaff

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 03:05:00 PM »

Lots of email, phone calls, and online approval.

If they offer no input at the start, I'll ask for some. But typically, no client input indicates that they have hired you in part because they trust your instincts. Most of my clients come to me because of something else they've heard that I worked on, so my assumption is that they like most aspects of that particular job. That gives me a good frame of reference before work begins.

The best situation is when the client is comfortable with multiple online approval passes. It certainly is no problem for me to upload WAV files, wait for customer approval, tweak as needed, and repeat until things are right.

This can be done via the mail, too, of course... but only when there is no deadline to speak of (rarely the case).

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 09:32:52 AM »

I just went non attended session he!! with a client in Boston. He normally attends sessions but has since moved to Boston. He is a great person and one I think he will go far in the music business. He has a whole lot of talent. The problem is I was here and he was in Boston. I was listening on speakers he and I know very well and he was listening on ??????. I did the original mastering for him and sent him a ref. He emailed me with the changes and I did what he wanted. This was the start of a very long back and forth and about the 6th revision he started getting upset. I did not know at the time what he was listening on but what ever it was it wasn't good. He kept wanting me to add bass. I though there was too much bass already. I asked him check the polarity and the rest of his system which turned out to be his car stereo on his way to work and he had no way to check the speaker polarity or fix it. I asked him to go to listen to it on another system even if he had to go to Best Buys. He found another system and then there were problems in the mid bass which he said was WAY TOO MUCH which I agreed with. So revision 7 went out. Then he wanted me to add additional applause and crowd noise to make this a more "live" recording. Revision 8. Then he did not like the applause and the crowd noise. So revision 9. These refs were going to him via Priority mail at my expense. He wanted all future refs sent overnight because he was facing a deadline for the CD manufacture. I told him that it would be at his expense and he balked. To make long story somewhat shorter he was finally pleased with ref #10 and I got paid for the mastering.

I told him that in the future he should find a mastering engineer in Boston so he can attend the sessions.

Normally when he brought me work it was done in a pro studio. This time he decided to go it on his own and did the recording of his live concerts himself. The incoming recordings were nothing like what he normally submitted and he could not understand why I could not make his DIY recordings sound like the ones he had done in the studio. Go figure.
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

OTR-jkl

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 11:51:08 AM »

Thomas W. Bethel wrote on Sat, 25 March 2006 08:32

...he could not understand why I could not make his DIY recordings sound like the ones he had done in the studio.

I can't either....says so right on the box: "Make professional recordings at home."

Rolling Eyes
J Lowes ยท OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

j.hall

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 03:44:15 PM »

the internet is the single more useful tool for my ability to work unattended, which is 95% of my work load.

from networking, to hosting mp3's for approval

Ronny

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 03:55:55 PM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 28 March 2006 15:44

the internet is the single more useful tool for my ability to work unattended, which is 95% of my work load.

from networking, to hosting mp3's for approval

Same here.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------