R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new mars volta  (Read 3061 times)

j.hall

new mars volta
« on: February 06, 2008, 03:53:31 PM »

anyone hear it yet?

interesting side note, Jon Theodore is not credited as the drummer, though the drumming is exactly his style.  can't imagine them functioning the same way without him.......

Jacob S

Re: new mars volta
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 07:31:42 PM »

I just saw them live in Ann Arbor and it was a sweet show!  

As far as the drumming goes, the new drummer (Thomas Pridgen) is a great drummer with awesome chops and can hold his own with Jon Theodore any day.  I loved Jon's drumming with TMV but Thomas is a very good replacement.  They had a bit of a Spinal Tap moment with drummers after Theodroe left in July of 2006.  They had Blake Flemming (drummer for the Tremulant EP I think) from July to October of 06, then they had Deantoni Parks from then until November of 06.  Then Thomas Pridgen started early 07 I think.

The new ablum is good, it has good drumming throughout.  My only problem is that it seems to stall a little bit at the end, especially since it starts off so strong.

I know I don't post much on here put I'm into alot of the bands that you guys talk about (Mew & Muse especially) so I thought I'd add my $.02

T. Mueller

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 02:04:30 PM »

Somebody PLEASE tell me that you've seen the Live From Abbey Road with Muse.  AMAZING.  EDIT: check it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dngDOaS0D4

And I don't think the question about the new MV album has been answered yet.  Anyone have any opinions?  I haven't heard it.  Didn't buy one after the FTM album.

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 04:18:06 PM »

i've gotten through half of it, and i'm digging it.

they really need a producer.  these records are getting WAY too self indulgent, HOWEVER, this new one (at least what i've heard) is light years better then the last two piles of jam rock.

Jacob S

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 11:30:01 PM »

I don't think TMV will ever make an album that's not self indulgent, it's not their style.  Listen to Omar's solo album and you'll think this new album is mainstream rock.  I like this album more than Amputechture, but no more than Francis, and about the same as Deloused.  I didn't listen to the new album until after I saw them play the new songs live and I think that's given me a much greater repect for them becuase they were very tight and solid live.

Since my favorite band MUSE was mentioned, there is a new live DVD coming out March 18th and I'm very excited about that.

j.hall

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 05:26:16 PM »

muse is incredible live.

deloused changed indie rock.  since then, mars volta has nothing but disappoint.

this new record is a step back in the right direction.

T. Mueller

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 08:16:59 PM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 08 February 2008 16:26

muse is incredible live.

deloused changed indie rock.  since then, mars volta has nothing but disappoint.

I seem to recall seeing a Muse show WITH you, my friend.  And I think a couple of songs on FTM aren't bad.  The earlier albums seem to have a lot more money in the production/mix/mastering than the last couple.  I like the production on this one, but the overall product sounds a little thin.  That's after literally owning it for two days, of course, so feel free to take potshots at that comment.

But yeah, I'm with J.  DITC is a ridiculously good album.  Hard to live up to.

Shalebot

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 12:52:49 PM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 08 February 2008 16:26

muse is incredible live.

My favorite TMV album is actually Frances the Mute (although Deloused is obviously amazing, and more focused). Amputecture sucked (minus a few select moments) and the new stuff is blah.

As for Muse, they're epic.

Jimibeen

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 06:10:27 PM »

I absolutely loved deloused, and select songs from their other albums.. but the new one just feels like noise at a lot of points. the songs are pretty inconsistent, and it would take me about 3 months to actually be able to tell where the song is going from line to line.

that being said, there are still some great moments on the album, but nothing i would ever play more than a few times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.