R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Seems we are not the only ones...  (Read 6080 times)

Ed Littman

Re: Seems we are not the only ones...
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 09:32:13 AM »

Once i received an anonymous email through my website...

"there is no money in mastering my plugins do fine"

regardless of the experience, gear, & room this is the mental trend for the young musician/AE.

Ed

mikepecchio

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 10:44:14 AM »

dcollins wrote on Tue, 04 April 2006 01:44

I like to think there will be new Spielbergs, Kubricks, Dowds, and Johns that will come from availability of new production tools.

That is a healthy way to look at it.  Im really trying to belive that.

The super-availability of the tools does nothing for the artistic "signal to noise ratio" in the marketplace.  People want to see their name in print, and their music on disk (or now, on iTunes).  It is so cheap and easy, practically every other person on earth has a record out.  Not enough self-censorship going on.  So much BS to wade thru.  Doesnt really change things in the top-40. But for those into underground music it is confusing to say the least.  I guess thoeretically A&R guys have it better than ever, with such a large pool.  But in reality a lot of good bands are being overlooked.  With the flavor-of-the minute mentality, you don't need to find the next neil young.  the next strokes will be just fine.  It is hard to prove, but I would say there are more good unsigned, underpaid independant musicians now than ever before, lost in a sea of mediocrity.  Im off to the record store...

mike

Ed Littman

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 11:06:11 AM »

mikepecchio wrote on Tue, 04 April 2006 10:44

People want to see their name in print, and their music on disk (or now, on iTunes).  It is so cheap and easy, practically every other person on earth has a record out.  Not enough self-censorship going on.  So much BS to wade thru. mike

just saw a thing on tv about internet blogs & how writers are getting the exposure & careers jump started through this new method of publishing. the downside is the same,  no real publishers to be responsible or control the facts or lack of to the reader.
Ed

jdg

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 12:00:14 PM »

Ed Littman wrote on Tue, 04 April 2006 06:32

Once i received an anonymous email through my website...

"there is no money in mastering my plugins do fine"

Ed

lol!

things like that just make me go:
http://steamsteamlol.ytmnd.com/

john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

Ben F

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 08:40:58 PM »

dcollins wrote on Tue, 04 April 2006 15:50

Ben F wrote on Mon, 03 April 2006 22:57

So what's the point? Technology has given people access to creative fields that previously they could never dream of.

You still need ideas...

I'd think that all these ideas, times all these new people, is bound to produce new and great art; it's not like the Drake equation, but I'm optimistic just the same.

Quote:

Are Mercedes Benz suffering because Hyundi have appeared? No, because there will always be people with more diserning taste, and that are willing to spend money on quality.

Hard to compare cars with art.  You can't say how many BHP was in "2001," can you?  Exile on Main Street had plenty Noise, Vibration and Harshness, though.

Quote:

And you always hear old school mechanics complaining about how these new cars have a 'computer' on board that tells you what to service, and are impossible to mess with.

You mean these cars that are more reliable, safer, yet cleaner than ever before?  

No wonder it's complicated!

Quote:

It's the same with radio, television, graphic design, and any industry that uses technology. Either embrace it or be left behind. Years ago there wouldn't be forums to bounce around ideas either!

But that's by-and-large a good thing.  Is there a Mastering Guild that I should know about?

Brad?

DC

Brad you may have got the wrong idea from my post. I was trying to outline that technology moving forward and becoming more accessable is actually a good thing. You can complain about it or embrace it.

bblackwood

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 11:05:46 PM »

Ben F wrote on Tue, 04 April 2006 19:40

Brad you may have got the wrong idea from my post.

Umm, I didn't post that...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Ben F

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 01:59:39 AM »

Sorry, Dave...

dcollins

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 02:24:11 AM »

Ben F wrote on Tue, 04 April 2006 22:59

Sorry, Dave...

No worries.  I'm just saying that you could have a great idea in the old days, but not be able to afford 16 reels of 35mm film, tape, or whatever.

I also think the old notion of "if you gave 100 monkeys typewriters, you would eventually get Shakespeare" may be due for a re-evaluation as the internet, and possibly YouTube, may increase the value of "eventually" to "never."

Or to "tomorrow."  Ya never know.

DC

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2006, 04:15:07 AM »

dcollins wrote on Wed, 05 April 2006 01:24

I also think the old notion of "if you gave 100 monkeys typewriters, you would eventually get Shakespeare" may be due for a re-evaluation...

What if you gave 100 thousand monkeys DAWs, would you eventually get an ME?

If so, would they all instantly become MEs via morphogenetic resonance?

Food for thought.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

tom eaton

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2006, 09:04:43 AM »

Actually, the monkey already IS a mastering engineer.  He has a powercore.

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2006, 10:50:46 AM »

Yes there are a lot of people that are "monkeying" around with mastering even as I write this. Too bad a lot of them need professional mastering help but don't realize it.

Well as my Dad use to say "you get what you pay for" and in this case monkeying around with the mastering may actually cost them money in the long run in lost CD sales and bad reviews. I guess they can tell themselves that they saved money by not having their stuff professionally mastered if you take out what they spent at GC for the plug ins and the Behringer Limiter Compressor Equalizer all-in-one thingy that they bought for the project.

FWIW

-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 22 queries.