R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1" Loop Bin Master Recorder....Whattt?  (Read 2107 times)

anaLogin

1" Loop Bin Master Recorder....Whattt?
« on: March 10, 2006, 04:46:53 PM »

Hello i have been looking for a good mastering reel to reel recorder and i saw a Studer Loop Bin Master Recorder

Do you know something about?

TotalSonic

Re: 1" Loop Bin Master Recorder....Whattt?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 05:14:55 PM »

anaLogin wrote on Fri, 10 March 2006 21:46

Hello i have been looking for a good mastering reel to reel recorder and i saw a Studer Loop Bin Master Recorder

Do you know something about?

In my old job I used to make the very rare analog binmaster for old Lyrec cassette replicators using a 1/4" Studer A80MR MKII- the transport was set up permanently at 3.5ips - with 2 tracks (the A side) going one way - and you'd flip over the tape and record the B side.   These bin loop master tapes then got their heads and tails trimmed to an exact length and then put in the Lyrec replicators - where the master was looped as the cassette tape was recorded, cut to the precise length, and then loaded into the shells.  It was kind of cool to watch the machine in motion automating all these processes - but as you can imagine this is pretty obsolete technology - and what cassette duplicators are still running usually work off digital bin loop masters instead of analog tape ones.

Anyway - I figure it's the same dual-2track set up with the 1" that you have (although I'd figure the tape speed might be higher than 3.5ips) - you'd probably need to get it modded with new heads to use it as a standard single direction 2 track - and you'd need to get extra cards and modded heads to use it as a single direction 4 track - as the way these are usually set up is that it records 2 tracks to only half of the tape at once.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.