R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Free or low cost recording software for Windows?  (Read 4846 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
Free or low cost recording software for Windows?
« on: April 06, 2011, 06:42:51 PM »

I am new here to these forums though have been a long time poster in the Live Sound forums.

I am looking for some inexpensive (free would be best) recording software for Windows that uses the ASIO interface.

I plan to change over my mixer from ADAT Optical (to an HD24) to Dante but discovered that the recording software I thought I was going to use doesn't use the ASIO interface which is provided by the Dante Virtual Soundcard.

As soon as I can afford it (not now) I plan to get a Mac which has plenty of choices that use Core Audio.

Thank for any help.
e-mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble - Is easier than - Getting out of trouble

EV QRX212, JTR Growler, QSC K12, QSC KW181, Yamaha LS9-32, Yamaha 01V96

tunetown

Re: Free or low cost recording software for Windows?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:08:25 PM »

Hi Rob,

I would suggest you take a look at Reaper. http://www.reaper.fm/ . It seems to be developing nicely and has a very attractive pricing structure. For individuals earning less than $20,000 per year it's only $40.

Cheers
Peter Houghton
Tune Town Pty Ltd

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:59:49 AM »

Thanks. That looks like it might do the job.

So, would this forum be a reasonable place to ask questions about the use of Reaper?

I have the stereo output mix routing through the digital network ok but what I want is to route the individual tracks to individual outputs. Going to RTFM now in hopes of finding the out patch information.
e-mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble - Is easier than - Getting out of trouble

EV QRX212, JTR Growler, QSC K12, QSC KW181, Yamaha LS9-32, Yamaha 01V96

tunetown

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 06:46:30 PM »

I would suggest the Reaper forum at http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20 . There would be far more experienced uses there I imagine.

Good luck
Cheers
Peter Houghton
Tune Town Pty Ltd

zakco

• Real Full Name: Zak Cohen
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 06:54:18 PM »

I'll throw in my vote for reaper. So cheap it might as well be free, yet VERY capable of professional work. I don't know if I'd run a commercial studio with it, but for many situations it's more than sufficient.

The thing I can't figure out though, is how the hell they've managed to wrap that installer into what...8mb or something?!?!?! Makes you wonder what everyone else is bloating their code with...

Z

curtisfranklin

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »

+1 Reaper.

I am a long time user, and the "feature" that I am most impressed with is the community.

The Reaper.fm forums are teeming with good-hearted non-trolls that are all about helping people out.

Justin (the head of the Reaper team) constantly is adding new features, but he also keeps the program really tight.

Once, there was a very specific (but major) bug that was affecting my very specific (albeit buggy) workflow.

I complained on the forums, and they made an update within a few days.

AMAZING!

jdier

• Real Full Name: Jim Dier
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 03:25:18 PM »

The thing I can't figure out though, is how the hell they've managed to wrap that installer into what...8mb or something?!?!?! Makes you wonder what everyone else is bloating their code with...

Loving reaper since rev .98 or something (when they were bragging that the entire program was under 2mb!?!)

I think the complete lack of any proper graphic skins and the no res plug ins might be part of the reason it is so small. 

The developer did a pretty nice question answer at GS that was worth reading.

For support, hit the reaper site... I have found that there are a few jerks on their forum, but mostly good natured and helpful people.

In general you will get good support there.
Jim Dier - Home Recordist

Almost everything I have recorded is here: R. Mutt and DW

I blog some here: Jim's Sound Lab
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.