R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questioning yourself?  (Read 3565 times)

Ged Leitch

Questioning yourself?
« on: March 13, 2006, 09:53:16 PM »

Hi guys, been a while since I posted anything.
  Just would like some  "Pro" opinions from you fine folks.
Recently just got over "Major" technical DAW problems in the bloomin middle of starting a new "important" project for a customer.
  It's kinda an "audition" of my work, and if impressed it should be a great contact.
  Problem is i'm now finding that i'm doubting myself so much when even attempting the mixes!
  I used to be able to recieve a customers CD in the post fire it up in the DAW, work for an hour or two and the rest was edits and stuff, and all would be fine, happy customer, money in the bank.
   The mixes sound great, but, there a few songs with kick drums that have too much thud and attack to them, they wont translate on most sytems well, so, i sort it out with multiband - i know, crossovers, boo hoo, changing the mix etc but there is no possibilty of a remix.
   So far i've got "OK" results on those songs, it's a case of the customer wanting that "Fat" sound yawn!!! (how many times?)
So i just know when they hear it they'll be like " Wheres the fatness man???"
    I'm going multiband for kick and de-essing, then wideband for levelling out then L2 for "loudness" (moderate use though, no more than -2db gain reduction) all this is post EQ.
   I guess it's pointless posting this without any audio to listen too but it's more of a question of confidence and the like, which i'm lacking at the moment.
  I feel in a similar situation to Brad in the snippet on his site about Ardent, it's like , I've SO got to get this right first time or it's a bye bye.
  Anyway, thats enough for now i think, oh and a big "HEY" to Dave Collins, i know  we crossed swords ages ago but recently have to take my hat off to you man, heard some cd's recently that oozed sound appeal! Queens of the stone age, Fu Manchu etc, im not a fan of those bands i particular but have to hand it to ya, "deez guy knows heez stuff..."
   And strangley, you happen to be the spitting image of a buddy of mine, kinda spooky.

enough warmth...
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

Pingu

Re: Questioning yourself?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 10:05:11 PM »

The best i can offer man is to just keep dong what you instinctively do.

Do it as well as you can and often as you can.

Try not to experiment on the music you are working on unless you have to.

Your confidence will come back soon enough.

Dont be too hard on your self.

That being said im often in the same boat.
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

Viitalahde

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 02:08:06 AM »

I'm with Pingu, follow your instincs. They way I work, I usually just go for it, tweak for a while without thinking too much and then back up mentally & listen. Usually it's almost there and needs only minor tweaks.

One good advice that's always in my head is that if you make something that gives you instant "wooow!!!", you should be suspicious about it.

I think it was Ammitsboel who said it here..?  Twisted Evil
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 09:13:01 AM »

We all do it. If we didn't that is when I would be affraid. It is normal in any kind of artistic endveour to question what you are doing. There was a very good NPR program on Bill Evans and even some one as good as he was questioned on a daily basis if what he was doing was really what the fans wanted.
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Pingu

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 09:54:11 AM »

Doubt and questioning everything is the key to life.

Its the necessary chaotic flux.
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 12:03:42 PM »

Change is Constant... at least to a cashier.
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Ronny

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 06:42:27 PM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Tue, 14 March 2006 12:03

Change is Constant... at least to a cashier.

I wouldn't bank on it.  Very Happy
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------