R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hot Hot Heat Drums  (Read 2324 times)

lord fear

Hot Hot Heat Drums
« on: March 04, 2006, 12:57:01 PM »

i'm recording this band that really wants the hot hot heat dave sardy vibe, anybody have any info on how those drums were recorded and mixed? to my ears i have to get some fairly dead sounds as well as some trashy room and kit mics. what do y'all think.
"Rock N'Roll 'Aint Noise Polution"

j.hall

Re: Hot Hot Heat Drums
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 12:17:54 PM »

no clue, but dave sardy has always had a vibe to his projects.  and typically it's different every time.

i think mocking his thing will be really hard.

doesn't mean you shouldn't try though.  i like a challenge

travista00

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 09:16:01 PM »

use lots of old, tube microphones like sony c-37a's  on toms, m-50's on near rooms,  u67's or c12's on far rooms, u47's for mono room mics in unusual places.  apply heavy doses of vinage compression like 1176's or 160 vu's or la-3a's as well as chandler tg1 and adr compex limiters all over.  and of course have a great sounding kit with new heads tuned nicely and re-tuned between almost every take.  i know it sounds like a lot, but it's what he does...  oh yeah, 1073's everywhere of course.

travis

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 11:37:43 PM »

or.......save the 75k in gear cost and use your ears and stop at nothing to approximate the sound as best you can.......

if you acess to gear like that, then by all means, PIG OUT

i know i would.....and do when i have the chance.

mcsnare

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 12:38:36 PM »

I just used some C-37A's on toms during the tracking on the new Icarus Line record. We started out with 421's and on the second tune the producer( who is an excellent engineer) suggested Sonys. Huge difference for the better. I forgot how good those suckers are for toms.
Dave McNair

xonlocust

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 01:45:30 PM »

mcsnare wrote on Mon, 13 March 2006 11:38

I just used some C-37A's on toms during the tracking on the new Icarus Line record. We started out with 421's and on the second tune the producer( who is an excellent engineer) suggested Sonys. Huge difference for the better. I forgot how good those suckers are for toms.
Dave McNair

awesome. can't wait to hear that.  i really like that band (even though they seem like they'd be real dicks in person)

mcsnare

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 12:12:00 AM »

I don't wanna blow their cover, but they are actually very nice guys. The tracking was pretty fun filled and the singer Joe, stayed at his girlfriend's place so I could have his bedroom. That's pretty cool in my book. His dog Apollo is awesome too. Now that we are into the mixing phase it's just me, Don, Joe and the producer Mike hangin out. We all got sucked in to the Flavor Flav reality show on VH-1 today, so I mixed during the commercial breaks so as not to miss the catfight between New York and Pumpkin......
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 21 queries.