R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hold the Guitar  (Read 1629 times)

TheViking

Hold the Guitar
« on: March 03, 2006, 02:18:19 AM »

I tracked some vocals this week and had to use an old technique that just makes me laugh thinking about it.   We were tracking vocals and I just couldn't get the singer to really let go.   It's a straight up rock band, I've seen them live a bunch of times and they are awesome.   In the studio, I think the atmosphere and tension of the situation really got to the guy.

Well, in cases like these, I usually ask the singer to grab his instrument and put it on like at a show.   In this case, it was a guitar.

It's amazing how psychological just holding on to a guitar is to a singer.   The guy sang awesome after that.

Any other weird psychological techniques like this out there???
Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer

Michael Durovic

Re: Hold the Guitar
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 02:43:09 AM »

didn't think about that, great idea.

I usually give the inexperienced singers (without instruments) a handheld mic to be able to move, or for mellower tunes a bar chair.
For inexperienced drummers (those who aren't able to warm up)
I give them a stupid techno line to play along with for about 15 min.

and of course I let them take seats first listen a bit to other music, have them a coffee or stuff and after an hour when everyone gets excited about what is gonna happen today I move to the first takes... (it's a job, but don't we have to capture that rock-excitement? Wink
you never have enough time

Blake

Re: Hold the Guitar
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 09:11:08 AM »

I can't really record my own vocals without playing a guitar or doing some kinda air guitar with my right hand.  That's how I'm used to keeping time when I play live and to ask me to record vox without the guitar just makes me feel lost.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.