R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Client tracked in PT, wants to mix on my MX-2424  (Read 7174 times)

minister

Re: Client tracked in PT, wants to mix on my MX-2424
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 09:17:53 PM »

i get your point...

but head over to steve albini's forum to see how many people don't use it.

and, even if you had an m-box or m-box 2, not everyone, even the 'pros' have pt 7.  which you have to have to open this file.  it is not like it weas a 6.9 file and he was trying to open it with 6.4

and i know a LOT of PRO place in town here that are not on 7.  in fact, one place, is still in OS9.  and so are a LOT of post audio houses.  even HIGH END ones.
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

John Ivan

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 12:15:25 AM »

Eric Greedy wrote on Thu, 02 March 2006 21:13

I'll say it again. Not being prepared to handle Pro Tools sessions in this day and age is asking for trouble. Unless you're in your own little bubble and don't want to come out. For between $250 and $450 you can own all you'll ever need to open and transfer PT sessions. Pretty cost effective. Being "pro" to me has nothing to do with pro tools (re-read my posts). It has to do with being able to handle outside sessions from within our walk-of-life. Again, I can and will repeat the statement that damn near every studio and album I have been a part of, or know of, over at least the last 5-6 years, has and does use it; with exceptions of course (there are always those). Couple that with a post every month or two from someone in a frantic search for a solution and or worried about the immense time to locate and line up files..when a relatively simple and cheap back-up transfer system would solve this. To each his or her own...but I like to make things simple and to keep the focus on the music. When people come to me...they get fast solutions...not hair pulling because I can't do something (in 2006) that's way easy.

And you DO make a good point about being prepared for Pro Tools files if you are going to work even remotely deep into the Business. I have mentioned in another post that I will in fact have to have a rig. I'll get the 002 but it wont be for MY personal sessions but rather for those who bring PT Files. Fair enough.......

But I maintain that many completely Professional folks don't like or use it. I've heard guys say "bring me files". So the only sticking point about your comment was the "Pro" part..

Hey, again, I know lots of people doing great work in PT and God Bless em.

Ivan........................................................ .
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

originalrecorderman

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 12:22:23 AM »

fair enough. Apologies for being too dogmatic.

Rail Jon Rogut

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 05:06:23 AM »

You can just email me the .PTF files (Pro Tools 7.x sessions) and I'll resave them for you as .PTS (5.1 - 6.x sessions).  Just don't email the audio files.

Anyone running 7.x should also be saving copies as .PTS for those who haven't updated yet... but every studio should have Pro Tools 7.x installed to a FireWire boot/hard drive so they can handle the conversion -- even if they don't want to use it for sessions.

It's not unusual for older versions of software not to support newer file formats.  Some folks will jump at anything to dog Digi... no matter how unfounded.  SAW32 can't open a SAWStudio EDL file either.  Can Logic 5.x open a Logic 7.x session?

Choosing your software is like choosing the car you drive.. find one which feels comfortable, is something you can afford... and like to drive.  They all have strong and weak points.

Rail
Recording Engineer

www.platinumsamples.com

Engineered Drums for BFD & Superior Drummer 2.0

Ryan Reilly

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 05:18:41 AM »

i would just like to add that swearing when you are flustered doesn't drive a point home any more clearly or beat the opponent of your argument down anymore. yes, we all swear and get pissed off and -- especially on the internet -- it is easy to get misunderstood, and when you're misunderstood, it is even easier to get pissed, and I understand the need to throw in damns, shits, and fucks, but these really only work in friendly discussions. In a heated debate, it just makes you look like a jerk.

And, when angry or passionate, it is easy to miss some information here or there. This post isn't about misunderstanding Pro Tools. It's about the program's lack of backwards-compatibility (and an engineer's need to access the seemingly innaccessible audio files), which almost turned 20to20's problem into an unsalvageable dillema. Fortunately, there are several minds available to help him out, and in turn, we all learn from it.

Even the newbie gets that much, and I use Cool Edit Pro!  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Cool
Oh yeah, it goes to 11

Rail Jon Rogut

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2006, 05:26:14 AM »

Ryan Reilly wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 02:18

an engineer's need to access the seemingly innaccessible audio files

No matter which format the session is saved as.. the audio files will always be accessible as either WAV, AIFF or sd2 files.

If he needs them consolidated.. it'll be cheaper to buy an MBox and consolidate the files than to book studio time IMNSHO.

Rail
Recording Engineer

www.platinumsamples.com

Engineered Drums for BFD & Superior Drummer 2.0

John Ivan

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2006, 05:53:21 AM »

Ryan Reilly wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 05:18

i would just like to add that swearing when you are flustered doesn't drive a point home any more clearly or beat the opponent of your argument down anymore. yes, we all swear and get pissed off and -- especially on the internet -- it is easy to get misunderstood, and when you're misunderstood, it is even easier to get pissed, and I understand the need to throw in damns, shits, and fucks, but these really only work in friendly discussions. In a heated debate, it just makes you look like a jerk.

And, when angry or passionate, it is easy to miss some information here or there. This post isn't about misunderstanding Pro Tools. It's about the program's lack of backwards-compatibility (and an engineer's need to access the seemingly innaccessible audio files), which almost turned 20to20's problem into an unsalvageable dillema. Fortunately, there are several minds available to help him out, and in turn, we all learn from it.

Even the newbie gets that much, and I use Cool Edit Pro!  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Cool

FUCK!!@#$% I didn't see any god damn shit assed swearing.. FUCK!@#$%^ The damn shit fuck thread was fucking very gentlemanly. I fucking see your god damn point about a bunch of pussy chowing cock fucks getting al shitty about all this fucking shit though!! FUCKK Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Surprised  Surprised  Twisted Evil

Sorry, I could not resist. Wouldn't it be strange if we always talked like that?

Ivan..........................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

originalrecorderman

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2006, 11:47:02 AM »

Ryan Reilly wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 02:18

This post isn't about misunderstanding Pro Tools. It's about the program's lack of backwards-compatibility (and an engineer's need to access the seemingly innaccessible audio files), which almost turned 20to20's problem into an unsalvageable dillema. Fortunately, there are several minds available to help him out, and in turn, we all learn from it.

It is completely backward compatible.

What it is not (and show me something that is), is an application who's older versions can "see" into the future and recognize a future incarnation of the software.

Ryan Reilly

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2006, 03:05:14 PM »

ivan40 wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 10:53

FUCK!!@#$% I didn't see any god damn shit assed swearing.. FUCK!@#$%^ The damn shit fuck thread was fucking very gentlemanly. I fucking see your god damn point about a bunch of pussy chowing cock fucks getting al shitty about all this fucking shit though!! FUCKK Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Surprised  Surprised  Twisted Evil

See? Now don't you feel that much better about not fucking swearing?  Very Happy
Oh yeah, it goes to 11

Fenris Wulf

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2006, 06:08:00 PM »

The WAV files are probably not contiguous, but they probably ARE timestamped, so that you can import them to the correct location.
RESIST THE CYBERNETIC OVERLORDS
KDVS Studio A

ricupad

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2006, 07:06:23 PM »

As Rail said, you only need to save a 6.x version of the SESSION file, no need to do anything to the audio files themselves- thus it won't take alot of time to do at your local music store. And if the audio files are broadcast wav, the easier it is for you to take them into your system. There's more work to do if you need to consolidate, since you need to look out for clicks and pops on edit points and/or region boundaries, and bad fades etc...

R.

djui5

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2006, 07:45:21 PM »

Rail Jon Rogut wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 03:06

You can just email me the .PTF files (Pro Tools 7.x sessions) and I'll resave them for you as .PTS (5.1 - 6.x sessions).  Just don't email the audio files.

Rail

Genius. I didn't even think of this.
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

henchman

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2006, 01:21:39 AM »

Do what i did.
Buy an M-Audio transit for under $100,-.
Then buy the POS PT sofwtare to go with it.
I wa slucky and got a deal at $100,-. Right now the lowest I've seen it for is $199,- on Ebay.

Then you can open the sesisons and deal with it.

It's the only $200,- Dig will get from me fo a long, Long time.

Pro Tools is so far away from being Pro, it's not funny.

originalrecorderman

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2006, 04:37:24 AM »

henchman wrote on Sun, 05 March 2006 22:21

Pro Tools is so far away from being Pro, it's not funny.

now THAT'S funny Laughing

leftandproud2003

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2006, 02:41:06 PM »

I got stuck once having a Ver. 7 session file and needing to open on a 6.4 Mix rig.

Ver. 7 systems were a long drive from where we were working.

I stuffed and emailed the Ver. 7 session file to a friend who opened it on his PT7 Mbox, saved a copy as 5.1-6.9, restuffed and emailed it back.
Worked fine, saved our afternoon from a long drive and downtime.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 19 queries.