R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Client tracked in PT, wants to mix on my MX-2424  (Read 7173 times)

20to20

Client tracked in PT, wants to mix on my MX-2424
« on: March 02, 2006, 03:34:52 PM »

I have a young client whose band had previously
recorded a CD project with me a few years back...

They were very happy with the results, but for his new
CD the now-solo client got a 'bargain-rate' at another
'studio' with "ProTools 7.0" (BTW, I'm PT-illiterate)...

After hearing the novice PT engineer's mixes he
decided to come back to me to do the mixing...Rolling Eyes

But prior to this decision, he tried out his buddy
with a "ProTools 6.9 system" and when they attempted
to open the files they found them to be "corrupted"
and they appeared to be "all scrambled up"...  

When I asked him for more details about
the respective PT set-ups, he was unsure...

And he has apparently burned-the-bridge
back to the original PT operator...

So, all he has now are his tracks-as-PT-files on
several CDs & DVDs, that his buddy says are corrupted...

[I haven't received these discs yet,
I've only spoken to the lad on the phone...]

I'd like to be able to salvage the individual tracks so that
I could import them to my MX-2424 and do the mixes...

Wishful thinking...? Shocked
Bob Phillips
20to20soundesign

1gibsonMO

Re: Client tracked in PT, wants to mix on my MX-2424
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 04:28:21 PM »

If you can find somone with protools 7.0...  maybe a music store or something, load them up there and take a look (I do not think 7.0 sessions are backwards compatible to 6.9, so it would make sense that they are scrambled).  Once they are loaded in, I believe you can go to File->export session as-> and save as a 6.x version.  It is going to be much easier to find a studio around with protools 6.x to handle the reburn/dumps or whatever to the tascam.

good luck!

jon

djui5

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 04:40:53 PM »

20to20 wrote on Thu, 02 March 2006 13:34

On the disks there should be an audio files folder with the .wav files in them. Depending on what the original guy did, you might be able to import the audio files into your mx-2424 and go to town. They should be time stamped allready. Hopefully they'll all line up.

PT's 7 session files are not compatiable with backwards systems like stated above. Like he said, if anything, take them to guitar center and see if they'll let you open up the session and consolidate the regions so you can line them up on  your mx-2424.

Shame when things like this happen.
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

20to20

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 04:48:25 PM »

Thanks for the replies...

So, 7.0 is the lastest, greatest version...?

I'll check the discs to see if I can access the .wav files...

I'm sure a music retailer with 7.0 wouldn't
be too thrilled with someone coming in just to
back-convert an entire album's worth of files to 6.x...

I'm guessing it could be a slow process...

For say, 10 songs with probably 20 tracks per song...

Yikes...Shocked

My client would probably have to buy
some time at a 7.0-equipped studio...

I may have to give good ol' Sweetwater a call... Smile
Bob Phillips
20to20soundesign

John Ivan

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 04:49:35 PM »

djui5 wrote on Thu, 02 March 2006 16:40

20to20 wrote on Thu, 02 March 2006 13:34

On the disks there should be an audio files folder with the .wav files in them. Depending on what the original guy did, you might be able to import the audio files into your mx-2424 and go to town. They should be time stamped allready. Hopefully they'll all line up.

PT's 7 session files are not compatiable with backwards systems like stated above. Like he said, if anything, take them to guitar center and see if they'll let you open up the session and consolidate the regions so you can line them up on  your mx-2424.

Shame when things like this happen.

I'm sorry for the off topic comment but, I can not believe you can't open PT 7.0 files in 6.??. UN believable!! This stuff just drives us nut's right??

Yeah, if you can get to the Audio folder and they are time stamped, you can make it happen. If not? If the original PT guy didn't save them right? or God knows what? then,, Oh Oh...

When are all the audio folks gonna make it so we can use all the files everywhere??

Jezzz!!

Ivan...........................................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

minister

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 04:51:20 PM »

1gibsonMO wrote on Thu, 02 March 2006 15:28

If you can find somone with protools 7.0...  maybe a music store or something, load them up there and take a look (I do not think 7.0 sessions are backwards compatible to 6.9, so it would make sense that they are scrambled).  Once they are loaded in, I believe you can go to File->export session as-> and save as a 6.x version.  It is going to be much easier to find a studio around with protools 6.x to handle the reburn/dumps or whatever to the tascam.
right...just to be precise : for sure 7.x is not bacwards compatible.  you open it in 7.x and "Save Session Copy In" and that is where you select version 5-6.9.

i would open it, save another version, call it consolidation or somethinglike that, then in the new one consolidate each track from the beginning to end, all the same length, name it appropriately (kick, snare etc.) then shift-apple-k export regions as files, select brodcast wave and export the to a folder.  then import each of those lined up to the head and there you go.
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

20to20

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 05:34:39 PM »

Cool...

I just spoke with Chet (AE at SW)
and he's going to help me assess
what's actually on the discs...

If I'm lucky, there'll be contiguous
files that I can simply import...

If not, we'll book some time and do
whatever conversions are needed...

Thanks, gang...

BP
20to20
Bob Phillips
20to20soundesign

djui5

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 07:10:28 PM »

20to20 wrote on Thu, 02 March 2006 15:34

Cool...

I just spoke with Chet (AE at SW)
and he's going to help me assess
what's actually on the discs...

If I'm lucky, there'll be contiguous
files that I can simply import...

If not, we'll book some time and do
whatever conversions are needed...

Thanks, gang...

BP
20to20

Great! Those are good people over there. Tell them I said hello Smile

BTW, if you do have to book time, it won't take long. It'll probably take longer to load the disks than it will to do what you need to do. Consolidating the files won't take more than a few min's per song, and saving as a 6x session takes about 20 seconds at most.

Ivan, I feel your pain, but do remember that unlike some other audio programs, even if you can't open the PT's session file you can still access the audio files, which should be time stamped. There's always a folder in the session folder that is called "audio files". This contains all the audio for the session. You can access this from anywhere, and if the user is using .wav files, you should be able to import these files into any DAW. So it's not really "that bad".
I got a disk once with a Cubase session on it, and couldn't even get to the audio files on the disk. We would up re-recording 4 songs.
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

originalrecorderman

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 07:30:42 PM »

it's 2006 guys. If you can't deal with Pro Tools sessions...drop "pro" from your title as well.

minister

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 07:34:35 PM »

Eric Greedy wrote on Thu, 02 March 2006 18:30

it's 2006 guys. If you can't deal with Pro Tools sessions...drop "pro" from your title as well.
WTF does that mean???

do you have PT 7?  if not, have you tried opening a PT 7 file in PT 6.X?

and i nknow lots of PRO facilities that run stuff other than PT.
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

CHANCE

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 07:42:43 PM »

I too am Pro tools illiterate, but I do this all the time. I use the Mackie HDR 24/96. From Pro tools, all you need are rendered BWF which are time stamped, and if your machine works with BWF, you should be good to go. This, unfortunately is not possible with the Alesis HD. without using their "Fire-pod" converter. Alesis uses their own propriatery file system.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

Tidewater

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 07:43:43 PM »

Yep on the WTF are you talking about.

I hate PT.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

originalrecorderman

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 07:48:46 PM »

what it MEANS is that this is 2006. Pro Tools is MORE of a standard than SSL was in 1986. Pro Tools 7.0 is a newer version in may ways. You always can save from the latest version of Pro Tools backwards to earlier versions to make it possible to open elsewhere. When saving (If your in 7) it is best to save a copy in 6.x since the majority of systems out there may be of this vintage. Knowing and dealing this stuff is what engineers get paid for.

As laugh on myself...a couple of weeks ago I went to JJ Blairs studio for some overdubs (great studio btw). I made the guide's for the session on an mBox2 w/ PT 7. My computer was giving me some trouble the night before and I (in a hurry and NOT thinking) didn't make my usual "save copy as...." a PT 6.x or earlier version. When I got to JJ's... boy did I feel stupid. I couldn't open my session..but, i was still a little "pro" in my seat of my pants fix...import mp3 roughs from my roughs folder (I as least always bounce one every-time I do session) into a fresh session and we worked. Later flying the new parts in the master session. All is great now.

But yeah...I would still argue that it would be in everyones interest in this biz to have at least an Mbox2..so you can handle any and all PT transfers. Not that expensive. Actually the M-audio route would be even cheaper and probable work too.

P.S.
Well..you may "hate" it. But I've seen very few studios or records not made with it in the last 5-6 years. And why make problems for yourself when your supposed to be making solutions.

John Ivan

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 08:31:34 PM »

Hi djui5,,

Yeah, I always save the wav files separate, no matter what I'm using. Hey, all these programs can be a pain in the ass right?

Eric,,

I don't understand this line of thinking at all. Pro Tools is indeed a standard of sorts. No question about it. Having said that, there are people in this business who only go near it when they absolutely have to. These are folks who DEFINE what has become the professional audio engineer, {at least some of them are.} .. The idea that one needs to be able to run a PT rig to put "Pro" before after or in the middle of their title is,, well,, something I would expect to hear a sales guy say. What on earth could you possibly mean by this?

If I were going to be running into PT sessions with any regularity, I would know the program cold. It's a damn software program. It has next to nothing to do with audio. It's a place to PUT audio and IMNTLBHO, it's a poorly laid out,overly expensive pile of shit. It was first, {almost} and lots of great guys and gals use it but, this has nothing what ever to do with their level of professionalism, AT ALL...

Now, to the extent that we are going to assign certain pieces of gear to what may or may not point to who the pro's are, I'll state the following.

Professional Audio equipment must be the finest sounding hardware pieces. Only very high quality Tube and discrete solid state devices are professional. And without any doubt in my mind, The room MUST be designed perfectly. Also, only the finest quality analog tape transports may be used. Also, the operators of this Gear will understand the operating theory of every piece..

SEE? See where this goes? it's silly right? {Not really, that's how it used to be}

It's just insane that people still use the "PRO" in Pro tools literally. Especially when, really, by nearly any measure, SAW KILLS this program. As does Samplitude. KILLS it. What if we decide based on how stuff sounds?

Look, I get that the modern audio professional should be able to operate most any audio gear placed in front of them but, computers have changed this, a lot. If I want to buy and learn pro tools, I will. Fast. It wont make me more pro though, just More Tireder-ed er.. and   yeah,,,not as more better-er in my heady and,,,, too also   and stuff... DIG??
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

originalrecorderman

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 09:13:06 PM »

I'll say it again. Not being prepared to handle Pro Tools sessions in this day and age is asking for trouble. Unless you're in your own little bubble and don't want to come out. For between $250 and $450 you can own all you'll ever need to open and transfer PT sessions. Pretty cost effective. Being "pro" to me has nothing to do with pro tools (re-read my posts). It has to do with being able to handle outside sessions from within our walk-of-life. Again, I can and will repeat the statement that damn near every studio and album I have been a part of, or know of, over at least the last 5-6 years, has and does use it; with exceptions of course (there are always those). Couple that with a post every month or two from someone in a frantic search for a solution and or worried about the immense time to locate and line up files..when a relatively simple and cheap back-up transfer system would solve this. To each his or her own...but I like to make things simple and to keep the focus on the music. When people come to me...they get fast solutions...not hair pulling because I can't do something (in 2006) that's way easy.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 19 queries.