R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: interesting news about the latest update of EAC...  (Read 816 times)

TotalSonic

interesting news about the latest update of EAC...
« on: February 27, 2006, 07:49:55 pm »

Just noticed that a new update got posted for EAC on 2/21/06  - but the following at http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/eac9.html makes me hesitate from installing it:

posted: February, 21 2006
The german magazin c't published an article whether EAC is or is not violating a german law against circumvention of copy protections on audio CDs. Some of the experts they asked had the opinion that the function of retrieving the native TOC is working at the limit of legality, at best. Due to that article and to eliminate any possibility of legal problems, I decided to remove that function (although I am pretty sure that it is absolutely legal). I always try to make sure to be fully compliant with german law, even if I would interpret the law absolutely differently.
Anyway, there are at least some few bug-fixes in this update, e.g. creating an image having the artist and CD title as filename will now show the file dialog properly when special characters are used.
For the next version it is still planned to add test & copy of CD images and for the version after that I will try to implement Unicode support for freedb queries and main window display and edit.
I am sorry about all this, but please understand my point of view.

Once in a blue moon I do indeed use EAC to restore a complete CD from direct copy of the entire image including toc.  I'm not clear from this post whether this has been crippled in the new version (0.95b4) or not.  Thoughts regarding this and the issues the author is facing?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Ronny

Re: interesting news about the latest update of EAC...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 09:49:00 pm »

TotalSonic wrote on Mon, 27 February 2006 19:49

Just noticed that a new update got posted for EAC on 2/21/06  - but the following at http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/eac9.html makes me hesitate from installing it:

posted: February, 21 2006
The german magazin c't published an article whether EAC is or is not violating a german law against circumvention of copy protections on audio CDs. Some of the experts they asked had the opinion that the function of retrieving the native TOC is working at the limit of legality, at best. Due to that article and to eliminate any possibility of legal problems, I decided to remove that function (although I am pretty sure that it is absolutely legal). I always try to make sure to be fully compliant with german law, even if I would interpret the law absolutely differently.
Anyway, there are at least some few bug-fixes in this update, e.g. creating an image having the artist and CD title as filename will now show the file dialog properly when special characters are used.
For the next version it is still planned to add test & copy of CD images and for the version after that I will try to implement Unicode support for freedb queries and main window display and edit.
I am sorry about all this, but please understand my point of view.

Once in a blue moon I do indeed use EAC to restore a complete CD from direct copy of the entire image including toc.  I'm not clear from this post whether this has been crippled in the new version (0.95b4) or not.  Thoughts regarding this and the issues the author is facing?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Not sure about German or international law regarding this, but it should be quite easy to interpret as it's similiar to existing laws. I don't see where it extends beyond the boundaries of the same laws that apply to TOC lifting on CD to CD disk copy. TOC isn't copyrightable material in the US, you can't copyright titles. You can register titles as part of a specific logo, but not copyright them. For example just because you write a song called "I Love You" doesn't mean that you own the "I Love You" title. You only own the content that your particular title represents. I can write another song entitled "I Love You" and it's perfectly legal as long as I don't copy your lyric content. But anyway it appears that he's disabled the abiblity to copy the TOC in the update. Worst case scenario is that you'll have to rename from Track 01 to "I Love You" or whatever the title is after the DAE is finished.

------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------