R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Sounding Replacement OP Amp for 4560  (Read 22786 times)

rwj1313

Best Sounding Replacement OP Amp for 4560
« on: February 27, 2006, 04:35:26 PM »

Hey guys,

Is there an OP Amp that is a pin for pin replacement for the 4560 Op Amp that will plug in and sound better? I'm looking at buying a RAMSA console that has JSR 4560DD Op Amps throughout. I am wanting to modify one of the clusters of 4 channels to use a better quality OP amp if it's available. If it works out and sounds good then I will eventually do the whole console. Any thoughts on if this a viable thing to do?

Thanks,

Rick
If you think you're finished at the dance, you are quitting too soon.    William Wittman

you need the fat to protect the stomach lining against alcohol, and the alcohol to cut through the fat in the bloodstream so, it's beer & doughnuts for me.  Maxim

rodabod

Re: Best Sounding Replacement OP Amp for 4560
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 08:44:58 PM »

rwj1313 wrote on Mon, 27 February 2006 21:35

Is there an OP Amp that is a pin for pin replacement for the 4560 Op Amp that will plug in and sound better?

Yes and no.

Swapping opamps can be simple.

First of all, what role do these 4560 opamps play in this desk? Mic amplification? Buffers? You may find that these cheap opamps do their job just fine.

The most common audio opamp is the NE5532/NE5534. When choosing a substitute, you must pay attention to power demands and stability (at least) before trying a substitute.

Also, You did not say if the 4560s were DIL or SIL.

There are a few web pages discussing this:

http://www.tangible-technology.com/audiobasics/upgrades/upgr ade_2_opamps.htm

PS. If you don't think the desk sounds good, then my advice would be to not buy it.
Roddy Bell

rwj1313

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 03:49:49 PM »

rodabod wrote on Mon, 27 February 2006 19:44

rwj1313 wrote on Mon, 27 February 2006 21:35

Is there an OP Amp that is a pin for pin replacement for the 4560 Op Amp that will plug in and sound better?

Yes and no.

Swapping opamps can be simple.

First of all, what role do these 4560 opamps play in this desk? Mic amplification? Buffers? You may find that these cheap opamps do their job just fine.

The most common audio opamp is the NE5532/NE5534. When choosing a substitute, you must pay attention to power demands and stability (at least) before trying a substitute.

Also, You did not say if the 4560s were DIL or SIL.

PS. If you don't think the desk sounds good, then my advice would be to not buy it.

I don't know what it sounds like yet but will find out this weekend. I've heard good things about it but wanted to know if it was possible or realistically possible. The 4560's are 8PIN DIP. I've actually been to some sites like the one you linked to. I thought someone might be able to point me in the right direction. My Main focus on doing this was to get a solid pre out of the channels.

Thanks,

Rick
If you think you're finished at the dance, you are quitting too soon.    William Wittman

you need the fat to protect the stomach lining against alcohol, and the alcohol to cut through the fat in the bloodstream so, it's beer & doughnuts for me.  Maxim

Sahib

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 01:24:22 PM »

Data sheet for 4560 is in the below link;

http://download.siliconexpert.com/pdfs/2004/0629/semi_ap/1/r oh/qd/ba4560.pdf

And below is pin by pin replacement;

OPA2134

http://hjem.get2net.dk/tkhifi/data-blade/opa2134.pdf

Just google the word opamp data sheet or something like that. You will connect you to loads of sites where you can download data sheets of various opamps. However note that there is a lot more than simply unplugging one opamp and plugging another even if they are pin compatible. You have to be able to understand what the data sheets say. It is not a rocket science but some basic knowledge is required.

See how you get on.

Cemal

rwj1313

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 12:50:09 PM »

Sahib wrote on Wed, 01 March 2006 12:24

Data sheet for 4560 is in the below link;

http://download.siliconexpert.com/pdfs/2004/0629/semi_ap/1/r oh/qd/ba4560.pdf

And below is pin by pin replacement;

OPA2134

http://hjem.get2net.dk/tkhifi/data-blade/opa2134.pdf

Just google the word opamp data sheet or something like that. You will connect you to loads of sites where you can download data sheets of various opamps. However note that there is a lot more than simply unplugging one opamp and plugging another even if they are pin compatible. You have to be able to understand what the data sheets say. It is not a rocket science but some basic knowledge is required.

See how you get on.

Cemal

Thanks Cemal,

I think this is what I'm looking for. I knew that BurrBrown had an OpAmp that might work for this and I was told it would sound better than the 4560. I need to compare current draw from the OPA2134. I am going to do a single channel first and see how it sounds.

Thanks again,

Rick

Sahib

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 01:31:53 PM »

I don't think that replacing one will break the bank. PSU will have enough juice to handle it. Good luck.

Cemal
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.