R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Lydon Snubs Hall of Fame  (Read 22805 times)

TotalSonic

Re: Lydon Snubs Hall of Fame
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2006, 01:58:39 AM »

wwittman wrote on Sun, 05 March 2006 06:28

Is that true?
I thought Steve Jones played bass guitar on the whole album.

afaik - they quickly realized Sid wouldn't cut it in a studio situation so that had to do something else.  But what I've read and heard in filmed interviews is that Steve is only playing on some of the tracks - they brought in Glen as a session player after kicking him out of the band in a kind of "adding insult to injury" gesture.  Remarkably he accepted the gig - but I figure he was strapped for cash and he knew the tunes anyway.  

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Joe Black

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2006, 04:59:19 PM »

Ronny wrote on Sun, 26 February 2006 11:18

If the R&RHOF were in Memphis where rock and roll was first recorded,

I thought King Records was in Cincinnati?

Lydon's ok, could never turn a decent double play and therefore does not deserve inclusion in the Hall. Maybe AFTER they let Pete Rose in -> he never played for Memphis

vernier

groucho

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2006, 10:58:27 PM »

It's kinda funny to see a thread about the Pistols consisting of "I like them/I don't like them..."

It's like saying "I don't like the Beatles." They are so historically important, and music as we know it would look so entirely different without their existence that it kinda renders anyone's personal opinion sorta moot, you know?Smile

Chris

Ronny

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2006, 02:37:03 PM »

Putting the Sex Pistols and the Beatles in the same sentence is moot. Saying that the SP's had as much influence as the Beatles, the Stones, Clapton, the Allman Bros and even the Dead would be too much. How many bands are there that copied the SP's? The real influence comes from Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Elvis, the old rockers that influenced the Beatles and Stones, who in turn influenced the bands of the 70's, who in turn influenced the bands of the 80's and so on. Punk music is more underground, no big record sales, no big influence and mostly made up of musicians that could sniff glue better than they could play guitar. There just isn't a comparison.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

electrical

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2006, 03:08:12 PM »

Ronny wrote on Thu, 09 March 2006 14:37

Putting the Sex Pistols and the Beatles in the same sentence is moot. Saying that the SP's had as much influence as the Beatles, the Stones, Clapton, the Allman Bros and even the Dead would be too much. How many bands are there that copied the SP's? The real influence comes from Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Elvis, the old rockers that influenced the Beatles and Stones, who in turn influenced the bands of the 70's, who in turn influenced the bands of the 80's and so on. Punk music is more underground, no big record sales, no big influence and mostly made up of musicians that could sniff glue better than they could play guitar. There just isn't a comparison.

Duke, you really should sit out of this conversation. You have no idea how ignorant you're sounding.
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

vernier

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2006, 03:15:23 PM »

Right, the groups can't be compared. I was pointing out the guitar tracks, which are tops. I'm suspecting the producer and engineer were an integral part of that sound too.

Ronny

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2006, 04:35:40 PM »

electrical wrote on Thu, 09 March 2006 15:08

Duke, you really should sit out of this conversation. You have no idea how ignorant you're sounding.

Maybe too old, but not too ignorant to judge a band's influence by how many bands cover their tunes.

I'm still waiting for a Sex Pistols tribute band.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2006, 06:56:15 PM »

Quote:

Maybe too old, but not too ignorant to judge a band's influence by how many bands cover their tunes.

I'm still waiting for a Sex Pistols tribute band.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sex+pistols+tribute +band&btnG=Google+Search

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2006, 11:00:23 PM »

vernier wrote on Thu, 09 March 2006 13:15

Right, the groups can't be compared. I was pointing out the guitar tracks, which are tops. I'm suspecting the producer and engineer were an integral part of that sound too.

I disagree here. I think you totally CAN compare the groups who each worked more or less in the 1,4,5 major key pop song format. In fact the Pistols covered songs by '60's bands Monkees (Not Your Steppin Stone), The Stooges (No Fun). I think its safe to say, being from Shepherds Bush, (Pete Townshend), Steve Jones was influenced by The Beatles as much as by Mick Ronson.

For me, when I heard The Ramones, Pistols, Blondie, the first thing I thought was "I get it, they're doing a Beatles like thing only faster, noisier with snarling lyrics." Honestly, this is what I thought, this is partly why I liked them, I was fucking tired of all that Genesis, Yes, Rod Stewart shit, and had in fact gone back to early Beatles, Kinks, Who, Stones (12 by 5), Beach Boys, Small Faces etc. listening and smoking copious ammounts of controlled substances with an older neighbour who grew up in Holland in the '60's and was way into The Beatles, still...when punk hit, I never looked back. Although I listen to Pink Floyd now and recently rediscovered the first Rod Stewart record.

bab

kraster

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2006, 11:59:34 PM »

I think the pistols had a big influence on music. And more particularly band management. Malcolm McClaren is the prototype for every svengali manager that exploits the talent (or lack) of four young men. The pistols have more in common with the backstreet boys than with the likes of the buzzcocks or the damned. They made some great records but it was all a great Rock and Roll swindle in the end.

As for John Lydon. I find all his latest punk posturing a bit lame after seeing him on the english reality show "I'm a celebrity get me out of here" with a bunch of other desperate Z-list celebrities.

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2006, 02:32:45 AM »

kraster wrote on Thu, 09 March 2006 21:59

I think the pistols had a big influence on music. And more particularly band management. Malcolm McClaren is the prototype for every svengali manager that exploits the talent (or lack) of four young men. The pistols have more in common with the backstreet boys than with the likes of the buzzcocks or the damned. They made some great records but it was all a great Rock and Roll swindle in the end.

As for John Lydon. I find all his latest punk posturing a bit lame after seeing him on the english reality show "I'm a celebrity get me out of here" with a bunch of other desperate Z-list celebrities.

Oh I deffinately agree with you here, Malcolm was, like Churchill, a man whose time had come. (Now we're gonna get something juicy going with a Churchill/McLaren comparison). I met him recently and got to tell him personally how much I liked his '80's albums Fans and Duck Rock which I think are revolutionary. 1984 mixing Hip Hop, Opera, Rock, Folk, Square Dance Calling. In 1984 I was trying to make records like that, but...well you know how it is. If you're Malcolm McLaren, you can get away with it and people might notice.

As for Lydon being on a TV show, well... he's just a guy. At least he wasn't campaigning for Tony Blair.

Steve Jones, who has a radio show in LA on Indy 103.1 called 'Jonesies Jukebox', told a funny story recently that when the Pistols did their recent reunion tour, John Lydon had his own tourbus which he shared with his friend. The others, Jones, Cook, and Matlock shared another tourbus.

Has Johnny Rotten turned elitist?

bab

TotalSonic

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2006, 03:32:56 AM »

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Fri, 10 March 2006 07:32

Has Johnny Rotten turned elitist?

This bears repeating:

(taken from
http://www.fodderstompf.com/GIG%20LIST/staten83.html  )

In 1983 the band Mission Of Burma had to call it a day due to tinnitus problems (sounds familiar).They did a farewell tour and played their last concert at the Paramount Theater in New York City, as support to Public Image Ltd. The date was 26th March 1983. Via Karsten Roekens, singer and guitarist Roger Miller was kind enough to donate Foddestompf a little piece about this particular evening...

"OK... here's my story about that night... I actually wasn't very interested in playing with PiL, because it was obvious the peak of the band was over. However, it was set up, so we did it. We got there, and there were sandwiches in the dressing room - thinking it was "food", we started eating (shit, we were hungry). Their manager (?) bitched us out for this - apparently it was only for "the headliner". We were already amused, I think (we made brutal fun of The Psychedelic Furs a year or so earlier in Sacramento, California: they were eating at a table, ignoring us completely, so we "paraded" around the table making fun of them. I was completely amused by that one - they had no idea how to deal with it!).

This was the time period when Mr. Lydon was claiming that they were their own management, they had everything under control to skip "the bullshit" - something like that. So... we "hit the stage" (this was our final show and there were a lot of fans down from Boston as well as NYC) and huh, would you believe it? - the PA was not turned on! Their "management" kept it off. Our manager had to finally go and convince their "people" that we had to have the PA on! So our first three or four songs were just monitors and amp sounds from the stage - I'm sure it was quite thin and quiet (on stage we of course were not aware of this...). However, I was certainly aware of the big thug parading back and forth in front of the stage with a bullwhip over his shoulder! I mean, shit - he was in front of us, between us and the audience. Finally, after the second or third song I put my guitar down, went up to him and told him that if he didn't leave we'd stop playing. And he left, so we finished our set (with a working PA system!). Now, if this was ANY example of PiL's massive "we're in control", I considered it to be shit. Most of the rest of the night I was at the side of the stage giving them the finger... The night did get blurry after a while though... Well, I hope that's amusing enough. I actually have a soft spot in my brain for Mr. Lydon and his boys, so I don't feel animosity at this point. However, that is how it went that night."

Roger Miller
Mission Of Burma 30.12.2001

kraster

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2006, 04:08:49 AM »

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Fri, 10 March 2006 07:32

As for Lydon being on a TV show, well... he's just a guy. At least he wasn't campaigning for Tony Blair.

I agree he's probably paying the rent and all that but that show he was on is the absolute doldrums of tabloid TV. Now he's back to being "Johnny Rotten" again with this snub of the hall of fame. He probably got Fleet Street PR Guru, Max Clifford and his "team" to write the rejection note for him.

Nizzle

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2006, 10:54:38 PM »

electrical wrote on Thu, 09 March 2006 20:08

Ronny wrote on Thu, 09 March 2006 14:37

No he shouldn't. He has an extreme opinion, which doesn't seem to me to be any more ridiculous than claiming Led Zep 1 merely "holds a candle" to the Pistols' Anarchy. Trying to argue this stuff with absolutes is  bullshit. Telling folks that they should "sit out" of a discussion because there sensibility (musically) isn't in alignment with the cool kids sounds like snobby, useless arguments one gets into while in art school.

best,

-t
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 22 queries.