R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Lydon Snubs Hall of Fame  (Read 22925 times)

groucho

Re: Lydon Snubs Hall of Fame
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2006, 08:09:15 PM »

Quote:

I'm only defending the statement that they had more influence than the Beatles in the history of rock and roll,

You're defending against a statement that was never made by anyone in this thread.

AND you're doing it badly.Smile

Quote:

I understand punk, James,

[no comment necessary]

Chris

Ronny

« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2006, 09:05:04 PM »

groucho wrote on Tue, 14 March 2006 20:09

Quote:

I'm only defending the statement that they had more influence than the Beatles in the history of rock and roll,

You're defending against a statement that was never made by anyone in this thread.

AND you're doing it badly.Smile

Quote:

I understand punk, James,

[no comment necessary]

Chris

I'm glad you are the punk expert. You haven't answered one of my questions. You accuse me of saying that the SP's weren't influential, when I said they were no big influence and explained that they were influenced by someone else, maybe Richard Hell, NY Dolls, if not the Clash, I'm sure there were others. Rock and roll didn't start in 1977. If you can't hear the Beatles in the Clash you are the ignaorant one. If you can't hear southern rock in modern country, you are the ignorant one. Excuse me, let me communicate on your terms with some Lydon that you can relate to, "go fuck yourself, you bloody wanker"

Wow, I didn't know it took so much talent to talk like Johnny Lydon, yep you guys must be right, the SP's are the only thing that's ever happened in rock and roll. Green Day can't be punk, they sold out. Chrissy Hines is just a pretender, it's Lydon that's the King. Sid Vicious taught Victor Wooten his licks and Nirvana stole everything from the SP's.

Ok, I'm learning, again thanks for the punk lessons, this is fun.  

------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

maxim

« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2006, 11:25:59 PM »

ronny wrote:

"... when I said they were no big influence and explained that they were influenced by someone else"

that makes very little sense

to be an influence and to be influenced are not mutually exclusive

in fact, one is, usually, the prerequisite of the other

groucho

« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2006, 11:32:45 PM »

I wouldn't bother trying to understand what the hell Ronny is saying, max. He has clearly liberated himself from the shackles of logic and coherency.

Which I suppose is kinda punk...

Chris

rankus

« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2006, 02:38:24 PM »

If you ask me, the first punk rockers could be as far back as Jerry Lee Lewis and Buddy Holly.... Both, had back then, what would be considered "punk ethic"... no?

And wasn't it Johnny Cash who is credited with first throwing TV's out windows and trashing hotel rooms?....

Punk is old man.... VERY old...

The 70's movement was nothing new at all....

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

kraster

« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2006, 06:20:09 PM »

When the Emperor of Austria criticised Mozart's opera as having too many notes he replied "Which notes would you like me to take out?".
He had a reputation of being a bit of a wild card in his day.

I know this aint exactly GG. Allin but at the time there was uproar over his antics.

Ronny

« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2006, 11:28:49 PM »

groucho wrote on Tue, 14 March 2006 23:32

I wouldn't bother trying to understand what the hell Ronny is saying, max. He has clearly liberated himself from the shackles of logic and coherency.

Which I suppose is kinda punk...

Chris

You are giving me a good punk lesson, I appreciate it. Hey, kraster and rankus are correct. You are focused on your lifetime and clearly showing your age. What they and I are trying to tell you is that the SP's weren't doing anything new. Elvis was a much bigger shock to the establishment than the SP's were, much, much bigger and lasted a shitpile longer, influenced thousands of acts that followed him. I was around when both hit the airwaves.

As I mentioned, from my perspective of watching generations of bands come and go, the influence is passed on, the SP's took from their influences added an element of their own and influenced others that followed them, but just like all bands the influence isn't entirely controlled by one band, all bands have many influences. How important they are in a complete rock historical thing is debatable. Sure I agree they had their place, but rebellion is not generational to the pistols, it's a constant flow. The very essence of rock and roll thrived on rebellion from the get go. If you had been around from the start, you would no doubt see things differently, because you would be seeing the total package.
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

maxim

« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2006, 12:10:11 AM »

ronny wrote:

"If you had been around from the start...."

how old, exactly, are you?

Ronny

« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2006, 01:18:03 AM »

maxim wrote on Wed, 22 March 2006 00:10

ronny wrote:

"If you had been around from the start...."

how old, exactly, are you?

Old enough to remember seeing Elvis the first time he went on tv on the Ed Sullivan Show back in 1956. I remember that he got paid 50 grand for the performance which was the most paid per minute tv appearance up until that time. 50 grand back when gas was a quarter a gallon, cigarettes 30 cents a pack and a coca-cola cost a nickel. Price for a new Ford or Chevy was under 3,000.  

I remember that he did 3 songs, which was rare, Ed typically had the big stars sing no more than two. I guess it was Ed's way of rationalizing the 50 thou that Col Tom wouldn't come down on. That was about the time that I first got a transister radio. The transister portables were just being manufactured. I got a 6 transister Silvertone, color was Ice Blue. I'll never forget it, kept that thing up until 1964 when it finally crapped out on me beyond repair.

Rock and roll was considered by many as an evil music and Elvis as commisioned by the devil, although Elvis was no stranger to church, nor gospel music. It was every bit as shocking in it's day as it was when the SP's came out. I was also rebellious in my youth, I resented authority, thought I knew it all which is so typical of teenagers in any era. Kids were no less boisterous than they were in 77 when the SP's hit the waves or when Green Day came out later, but of course just like any other youths we thought that we were doing something special and unique only to find out later that history just repeats itself with new faces.