R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Lydon Snubs Hall of Fame  (Read 22806 times)

Ronny

Re: Lydon Snubs Hall of Fame
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2006, 12:47:49 AM »

I was half joking maxim. What is best album, is subjective to an individuals tastes. Even if you are judging the techinical aspect it's like judging a diving meet. I agree with you 100% on the music is not an Olympic event. Battle of the Bands are particulary dumb, music shouldn't be considered a competition, it's not like a football game where the team that gets the ball across the goal line and scores the most points is the clear winner.

I used to run FOH for an annual Battle of the Bands. Last one there were 9 bands that made the finals, all pretty good, "IMHO", except one that were young guys and not as road experienced as the other bands. First prize was a recording contract with XXX Nashville (I won't mention the name) judges were A&R guys from same company (won't mention their names either, but all well known in the industry). Guess who won? Yep, the young guys, they were better looking physically than most of the other bands. I felt sorry for some of the west coast bands that came all away across the US to perform on the east coast, long trip and for nothing. It was clear to me that the young band won, because they were young and moldable, had the look but not the sound and that's what you get now-a-days, cookie cut-outs that can shake booty in front of the camera. Screw the music, we'll fix it in Pro Tools, how do they look on the zoom-in.  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2006, 03:44:42 AM »

I for one am glad the Pistols snubbed the Hall Of Fame. And just the title of their album is just so fuck you anti Meet The Beatles, "Never Mind The Bollocks, Heres The Sex Pistols".  Anyone who saw The Ramones movie End Of The Century, saw the pathetic R&RHOF scene with a roomfull of people who never gave a shit about The Ramones. I was happy for The Ramones but wished they had told all those industry hacks to fuck off like The Pistols did.

bab

Les Ismore

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2006, 03:49:59 PM »

electrical wrote on Sun, 26 February 2006 21:31

Ronny wrote on Sun, 26 February 2006 21:45

do you really think that Anarchy is better than:

Electric Ladyland
ABB at Fillmore East
Eagles Greatest Hits
Dark Side of the Moon
Led Zepellin One
Goodbye Cream
and last but least Dino, Desi and Billy   Very Happy

The only one that's even close is Zep I. The Pistols crap all over everything else on this list.

crap being the operative word
Pete Honychurch - Fluid Sound
http://www.myspace.com/PeteHonychurch

TotalSonic

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2006, 10:02:21 PM »

electrical wrote on Mon, 27 February 2006 05:31

Ronny wrote on Sun, 26 February 2006 21:45

do you really think that Anarchy is better than:

Electric Ladyland
ABB at Fillmore East
Eagles Greatest Hits
Dark Side of the Moon
Led Zepellin One
Goodbye Cream
and last but least Dino, Desi and Billy   Very Happy

The only one that's even close is Zep I. The Pistols crap all over everything else on this list.

I love Never Mind the Bollocks but for personal taste I'd have to place Electric Ladyland as #1 out of all of those.  For me Jimi had funk, was a sonic innovator, could really play his ax, was truly sincere about doing his art to the highest level he could and got it across on this album, even wrote some amazing lyrics.  I'd probably put the Pistols 2nd, with the Allman Brothers & Led Zep I tied for 3rd.  For my own taste Eagles Greatest Hits would be nowhere near even considered to go on a list of "good".  I dug the James Gang though.

Then again - this is just who I like - who really cares anyway?

Glad to see Mr. Lydon "keeping it real" by snubbing the whole Hall of Fame charade - and he's right - there are indeed a lot more important things we need to be thinking about right now.  Still - I love Roger Miller's stories about what an a-hole JL was to everyone at MoB's very last show of the 80's when they opened for PIL.

Best regards,
Steve

Gone

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2006, 11:10:09 PM »

Eagles Greatest Hits is a compilation, not an album.

And, I believe it's Vol 2 that's "supposed' to be the #1 selling record of all time. I'm pretty sure Glenn Frey has a warehouse of those sitting somewhere to achieve that status. (units shipped, of course, not sold).

Never Mind The Bollocks... has stood the test of time as a classic album in the history of rock. You can personally dislike it, but you can't deny it's impact nor its longevity. I'd rather listen to that any day than any of the other albums on that list.

Of course, it occurs to me that the note is as much PR as anything else. Is this the same band who released the same 14 tunes on about 30 albums? PiL fared okay, commercially. Sorry, John, not matter how much you hate people who are "music industry people" - you are one, too. If nothing else, didn't "Filthy Lucre Live" prove that. How about the "David Letterman" appearance, 40 somethings dragging out "Pretty Vacant".

wwittman

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2006, 12:18:15 AM »

You're comparing whole albums to a single.. but in any case, I think that Never Mind The Bollocks holds its own against ANY rock record of any kind.

Great band, GREAT vocals, great songs... and Chris Thomas and Bill Price are no slouches either.
It's incredibly good CAPTURING or rendering of the band.

But do I think that the Sex Pistols' record is better than The Eagles????
you must be joking.

Only Steely Dan makes me cringe more than The Eagles.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

vernier

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2006, 12:26:59 AM »

Pistols (never mind the bollocks) has the best sounding power chords on the planet.

As for this list:
Electric Ladyland ...not that great if you didn't take acid.
ABB at Fillmore East ...traditional blues, too much so.
Eagles Greatest Hits ...too laid back, especially when compared to an awesome band like Buffalo Springfield.
Dark Side of the Moon ...if you don't get loaded, this really is boring. No singer either ..they need a singer!
Led Zepellin One ...exciting but too bluesy. They got better later-on.
Goodbye Cream ...Why that one? ...their best sound is the live cut, White Room.

Ronny

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2006, 02:00:00 AM »

Well no offense to the SP lovers in the peanut gallery, but they sound like shit to me. Out of tune and overly distorted guitar to cover mistakes and the lack of talent, screaming vox not what I call melodic, I want a screamer I'll buy a bottle rocket. Viscous couldn't even play a bass, they got him in the band because they thought he looked the part. Can't compare their musicianship to any of the musicians that played on the albums that I mentioned, but I don't have to like Kenny G to know that he can play the sax. Personally I like his music less than the Pistols, but comparing musicianship, they can't hold a candle to any performer on the albums that I listed or even Kenny G, who everyone can unanimously hate.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------